"as first built" version of my Ancient saber

Corbin_Das

Hi all.
I have the priveledge to introduce to you the stunt and LED VERSION of my original Malius saber. Ryan at Random Sabers has outdone himself in my opinion. Of course, I may be a bit bias. :D
So without any further adieu...... I give you the first of Ryan's creations........The Malius Stunt version (yay)

corbinspics6-MaliusStunt.JPG

Here's what Ryan has to say about it:

"The stunt copy of the saber features many of the same details, and is the exact same length, but because it wont see any up close screen time, we left off the majority of the details, keeping the price down as well. This version still keeps similar forward thumbscrews around the emitter and shroud, without the milled slot in the top. The activation box is bolted into place, with a similar domed button on top, but the copper wrap around the hilt was removed. The stunt version uses a similar fluted tubing for the grip, as well as a similar looking pommel cap, but the biggest difference in this hilt from the LED version: is that the stunt version is coated completely in gold-tinted epoxy and then covered in a glossy laquer to try to keep the color intact."

Now, for the REALLY cool one..........

corbinspics6-MaliusLED.JPG

Here's Ryan's comments:

"This arduous project began some time ago, and the saber designs are based off of an ancient design currently in the hands of the owner of Corbin's Components.
The largest obstacle in this project was trying to make a 'new' version of a 'weathered' original, especially since the hardware parts used on the original are out of production anymore. We used more brass on this saber than any other project yet. The hilt begins with a large, sweeping S-curve shroud, forked on top, with a small copper stud in the milled slot. The underside of the emitter hiding in the shroud is laced with small vent holes, while large thumbscrews sit on top, and hang from the bottom/sides of the shroud. The top thumbscrew features a glossy red acrylic sphere in it, while the two side thumbscrews feature blade set bolts for the LED blade. Along the slender grip section of the saber, lies a small section of grooved tubing, bolted to the body, and the sabers most prominent detail: a large activation box. The solid brass box features an oval shape, with rounded sides, along with a large domed button on top. Two machined brass bolts are screwed into the sides, anchoring the box to a shaped piece of copper wrapping around the saber. There is even a small recharge port on the side of the activation box, to recharge the batteries inside the handle. The grip of the saber is a piece of fluted tubing we had brass plated especially for this project. A small Krusell wheel flanks the side of the grip, while a stepped pommel section holds the electronics actual activation button.

Adam (the owner of these) and I will be meeting this weekend to compare the old and new Malius sabers. I'm sure we'll take pictures too. Here's a picture of the original Malius saber I made that these new ones are based on:

corbinspics2-fullbefore2.JPG

Corbin

Corbin@CorbinsComponents.com

Corbin's Components

I've LOVED that saber (your original) ever since I first saw it on ASAP so long ago (the new ones are excellent too, though). It inspired me to design/build an ancient saber of my own. It's sitting at about 25% completed right now. It'll be finished some day.

Any chance you could post some more beauty-shots of the original? :love

It's wonderful this this saber again. Very nice indeed. However... The hero is an LED saber... Put a blade in there and fire it up man. Let's see it ready for business :love

I love that elegant retro art-deco style... Would you care to make this one too? - Gabe

I can look into it if you like. Just a static prop or were you wanting some degree of electronics involved?

Nexus6..........As you wish.........

Nice collage:

corbinspics2-angles.jpg

Original EXTREME weathering job:

corbinspics2-collage.JPG

Closeup of the meltdown:

CorbinDas-meltdown.JPG

With ruler for reference:

corbinspics4-sideviewfull.JPG

corbinspics4-shroudcloseup.JPG

And finally, Photoshopped amber blade:

CorbinDas-wall.JPG

Corbin

If ANYONE makes that art-deco saber I'm calling first dibs. ;)

My buddy sent me the design (I have no idea where it came from) and PR was lovely enough to do that sick render....

Having that saber would be amazing...do you think the randomsaber guy could do it? Does he ever come here?

:)

Dave

Originally posted by Kal-L@Jan 25 2006, 11:55 PM
Having that saber would be amazing...do you think the randomsaber guy could do it?  Does he ever come here?

:)

Dave
[snapback]1168420[/snapback]​

I'm not sure if he comes here or not. Considering how busy he keeps himself, I don't know if he'd have time to visit forums as often as he might like. You can always forward the design to him and ask what he'd charge to make it. I recommend him highly. If he can't do it, I've got some sources that might be up to the task.

Corbin

Wow, That's a great saber design.
Antient Graflex Bravo...

Here are the two I have, the Shoal a full size saber and the Frelon, a smaller padawan saber.

Mine and my son's respectively.

shoalrs7bz.jpg

frelonrs1qz.jpg

Hello Everyone :)
My name is Adam and I am the proud owner of the MALIUS lighsabers that are based on Corbin's Ancient Lightsaber.

I thought you all might like to see the rendering Corbin and I worked on to help Ryan get a better idea of what a "new" Ancient saber would look like.

Here it is.
ForceUser-malius.JPG

It was made using only simple MS Paint, we cut and pasted a section of a picture of a real brass tube then streched it to make the saber look sort of photo realistic. I originally wanted to use a D-ring to hang it from my belt, but I desided to use a Krusell belt clip and knob which is similar to a Covertec system.

Here is a progress picture of the Stunt Malius before it was painted with gold epoxy.
ForceUser-Malius_Stunt.jpg

Here is another progress picture of the unpainted Stunt Malius and the brass LED Malius side by side.
ForceUser-image002.jpg

Poor Ryan had a really hard time with the LED Malius, it seemed like there was a new problem every week. He still doesn't have the LED electronics installed, he can't fit the batteries in the fluted tubing grip section. So, I'm going to see if Corbin can change out the 1 watt Star O and 4 AA rechargeable batteries for a 3 watt LED and more poverfull batteries that are only 2 AAs.

With Corbin's help, I have already made a sort of blueprint of the next LED saber I'm going to have Ryan make, maybe Ryan won't have as many headaches with this next one with a better internal electronics design.

Here is the other Stunt Lightsaber prop Ryan worked on for me, he used more of the aluminum fluted tubing and a real Heiland flashgun shroud I sent him.
ForceUser-Quasar_final.jpg

Kal-L,
I'm sure Ryan could make that art-deco saber, though using real brass and a working spring-action lever would cost you more. I like the design, sort of reminds me of this Obi-Wan Saber.

Sporak,
Those are nice sabers :thumbsup Did you design them or did Ryan?

Originally posted by Corbin_Das@Jan 25 2006, 05:13 PM
I love that elegant retro art-deco style... Would you care to make this one too? - Gabe

I can look into it if you like. Just a static prop or were you wanting some degree of electronics involved?
Purely static would be great. :)

Check the thread link I posted for a breakdown of parts as I designed the 3D version based on the original 2D artwork. I can supply IGES files of all the parts. What's the price point on the copper & brass MALIUS saber in case I'm interested? If you'd rather PM it to me, I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

- Gabe

Hi Gabe
I don't suspect the Malius saber will be for sale. Ryan at Randomsabers.com built it using pictures of the original old one as a guide. The saber inspired a fan film that's going to focus on the original owner of the saber, Darth Malius. As such, a stunt and Luxeon version of the saber needed to be built. Because of the cost of brass and copper over aluminum, I think the final cost (with electronics) will approach $300.00 or so.
I suspect if you contacted Ryan and asked, he could build something similar, though not identical. He'd even build that one you posted pics of I imagine.

Corbin

BEAUTIFUL. just freckin Awesomely beautiful...

Ryan made part of my custom. (which ive posted here before so I wont again)

And, if you ever decide to sell copies, resin works >.>

Originally posted by Corbin_Das@Jan 25 2006, 10:28 PM
Hi all.
I have the priveledge to introduce to you the stunt and LED VERSION of my original Malius saber. Ryan at Random Sabers has outdone himself in my opinion. Of course, I may be a bit bias.  :D  
So without any further adieu...... I give you the first of Ryan's creations........The Malius Stunt version (yay) 

corbinspics6-MaliusStunt.JPG

Here's what Ryan has to say about it:

"The stunt copy of the saber features many of the same details, and is the exact same length, but because it wont see any up close screen time, we left off the majority of the details, keeping the price down as well. This version still keeps similar forward thumbscrews around the emitter and shroud, without the milled slot in the top. The activation box is bolted into place, with a similar domed button on top, but the copper wrap around the hilt was removed. The stunt version uses a similar fluted tubing for the grip, as well as a similar looking pommel cap, but the biggest difference in this hilt from the LED version: is that the stunt version is coated completely in gold-tinted epoxy and then covered in a glossy laquer to try to keep the color intact."

Now, for the REALLY cool one..........

corbinspics6-MaliusLED.JPG

Here's Ryan's comments:

"This arduous project began some time ago, and the saber designs are based off of an ancient design currently in the hands of the owner of Corbin's Components.
The largest obstacle in this project was trying to make a 'new' version of a 'weathered' original, especially since the hardware parts used on the original are out of production anymore. We used more brass on this saber than any other project yet. The hilt begins with a large, sweeping S-curve shroud, forked on top, with a small copper stud in the milled slot. The underside of the emitter hiding in the shroud is laced with small vent holes, while large thumbscrews sit on top, and hang from the bottom/sides of the shroud. The top thumbscrew features a glossy red acrylic sphere in it, while the two side thumbscrews feature blade set bolts for the LED blade. Along the slender grip section of the saber, lies a small section of grooved tubing, bolted to the body, and the sabers most prominent detail: a large activation box. The solid brass box features an oval shape, with rounded sides, along with a large domed button on top. Two machined brass bolts are screwed into the sides, anchoring the box to a shaped piece of copper wrapping around the saber. There is even a small recharge port on the side of the activation box, to recharge the batteries inside the handle. The grip of the saber is a piece of fluted tubing we had brass plated especially for this project. A small Krusell wheel flanks the side of the grip, while a stepped pommel section holds the electronics actual activation button.

Adam (the owner of these) and I will be meeting this weekend to compare the old and new Malius sabers. I'm sure we'll take pictures too. Here's a picture of the original Malius saber I made that these new ones are based on:

corbinspics2-fullbefore2.JPG

Corbin

Corbin's Components
[snapback]1168110[/snapback]​

I've been burned out on lightsabers for a while and rarely even look at threads like this anymore, but I'm glad I did with this one. That is one of the most "authentic" saber designs I've seen. It looks like it truly "belongs" in the films, especially the extreme weathered version. That should have been the saber Ben gave to Luke as it actually LOOKS like it went through saber battles and a Clone War. :)

Excellent job..
-B89. :D

Thanks Beeb
I'm really happy with how it turned out. As soon as I get some other projects done for a client of mine (he ordered 10 custom LED sabers), I'm hoping to spend a little more time putting some details on the LED Malius. Things like a recharge port and and small LED as well as a copper section up front near the emitter like the original has.
I'll keep everyone updated.

Corbin Das

Corbin's Components

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back