Arumbaya fetish from Tintin "L'oreille cassée"

parfaitelumiere

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Working on a personnal project carving.
It's arumbaya fetich from 1937 album "L'oreille cassée"
proxy-image.jpeg

We can find several official replicas, not too bad especially the 1991 plaster edition.
We can also find some fanmade replicas, 3D print, or hand carved, many are really inaccurate, even it's hard to make accurate design from a comic, the design is quite bad and rough, but it's possible to get a overall idea of a realistic carving.
I carve it from wood, mixing original drawing inspiration, but also genuine Chimú culture statue for finish and patina.
Original Chimú had pitch and mother of pearl inlays in the ears, feet, hands and eyes, also ochre and white painting.
I will make similar finish, probably a remaining shell inside back of left ear, and pith only on ears, eyes, hands and feet, and coloring on body, hat and fabric.
Then it will get weathering, during several years, to create cracks, abrasion and corrosion, to match antique statue patina, but keeping tintin design.
First picture are official replicas, actual resin edition and first plaster edition from 90's.
Original Chimú statue used as inspiration for design, and another statue where we see the shell inlays.

proxyage.png
Cultures_précolombiennes_MRAH_Chimu_Hergé_02_10_2011_B.png

Awesome project! and with your skills it will probably be really nice (y)
I have to be honest, I wanted to do a run of handcarved wood statues for several years myself, but I'm looking forward to see what you come up with. :)

You would handcraft by yourself?
it's quit boring job, my back doesn't like the arumbaya virtual culture...
I gathered many original chimu pictures for inspirations, understand better how these were made, and there were quite colored with many inclusions, stone, pearl, gold.
I think I will leave the back with more colors and inlays, one ear at least!

You would handcraft by yourself?
it's quit boring job, my back doesn't like the arumbaya virtual culture...
I gathered many original chimu pictures for inspirations, understand better how these were made, and there were quite colored with many inclusions, stone, pearl, gold.
I think I will leave the back with more colors and inlays, one ear at least!
yes yes I would handcraft it by myself. Just wasn't sure of what would I would use. at first an exotic wood made sense but since those wood are now super restricted it wouldn't be wise for a run. So maybe something more local.
what wood are you going to use yourself?
I'm looking forward to see the first pictures of your work!

no idea it's kind of exotic ****** wood, a pain to carve from, old construction wood or so, no idea.
I suggest you to use soft european wood, beech or fruit wood, fresh prefered, far easier to carve.
I will put wip pics tomorrow.
So much work to do on it, I am quite happy, as I took a look on antique chimú statues and the finish is not knofe or blade finish, but sanded finish, will be far easier to carve.

Last edited:
I was thinking maybe walnut would be a nice alternative :)
But maybe african mahogany or african cedar would work nicelly also. but maybe the color they are depicting in the comics is just paint and not the natural wood itself. I think the Chimu statues were really soft wood, so it might be it.

Ah yes, Tintin...one of my favourite B.D. during my early youth in Brussels ;) and great prop to make! Eager to see your next update!

ok, that's totally amazing! and there is no reason for me to do it now.
seriously, well done! but I was sure you would do amazing as always (y)

Working on a personnal project carving.
It's arumbaya fetich from 1937 album "L'oreille cassée"
View attachment 1382968
We can find several official replicas, not too bad especially the 1991 plaster edition.
We can also find some fanmade replicas, 3D print, or hand carved, many are really inaccurate, even it's hard to make accurate design from a comic, the design is quite bad and rough, but it's possible to get a overall idea of a realistic carving.
I carve it from wood, mixing original drawing inspiration, but also genuine Chimú culture statue for finish and patina.
Original Chimú had pitch and mother of pearl inlays in the ears, feet, hands and eyes, also ochre and white painting.
I will make similar finish, probably a remaining shell inside back of left ear, and pith only on ears, eyes, hands and feet, and coloring on body, hat and fabric.
Then it will get weathering, during several years, to create cracks, abrasion and corrosion, to match antique statue patina, but keeping tintin design.
First picture are official replicas, actual resin edition and first plaster edition from 90's.
Original Chimú statue used as inspiration for design, and another statue where we see the shell inlays.

View attachment 1382963View attachment 1382966
I like the one in the left to own Below

Attachments

• D9B0DFCE-04C7-4E5E-B9A8-BA3C8C091C4B.png
    D9B0DFCE-04C7-4E5E-B9A8-BA3C8C091C4B.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 69
This is one I'll always liked besides the original one in the museum

Attachments

• DF232E92-0D60-47D6-B92E-BF01011BD04D.jpeg
    DF232E92-0D60-47D6-B92E-BF01011BD04D.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Here’s another one from a member, Pascal ,the center idol is 12” tall to get idea oh hight , All made of wood my 2 favorites look identical
417759D7-192E-4068-9B7E-BC7F0779280B.jpeg
406758FD-5085-4A46-9151-445C015CB72F.jpeg

Last edited:
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back