Art student Loves Sculpting Preds!

HuntU4Sport

Hi everyone, obviously my first post here. I stumbled upon this site while in the quest for great reference pictures for predator. Once I found this site my original intentions of sculpting a predator have been injected with steroids and now have a ton of ideas I want to do! The problem is I'm a full time art student at the Art Institute of Seattle. So I can only sculpt in my free time. I'm not trying to make masks or a suit of any kind although I view all that stuff as an amazing art form! I just want to sculpt Pred busts and Full maquettes. Also tossing around the idea of doing a few of my favorite Bio's in sculpey (not to scale) and painting them to hang on the wall or something. Overall Im just a HUGE Predator fan, who is just starting out on his sculpting journeys.
For some reason I always gravitate towards something that is more of a challenge. So the first predator ever I chose to sculpt was the Wolf. I have ADI books for reference and this site thank god!
Had a little trouble replicating the damage on the side of his head so I decided screw it and kinda just did my own interpretation of it. I also cut the original Chavant teeth and mandibles off and replaced them with baked sculpey and this helped immensely! As Well as his eyeballs. This is still very much work in progress but please let me know what you think of this mean *******. I've had a lot of fun with him. This is the first bust type sculpture I've ever done. If I had to guess on time involved so far I'd say roughly 22 give or take a few. Please let me know what you all think. I am thick skinned and you are all the pros so I'd love to receive some input!
IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

Welcome to the Lair!...damn fine work you got there. Be prepared to lose even more time and hope to see more work from you in the future.

The mandibles look a little oversized in comparison to the rest of the head. And a little too thick. The sculpt overall looks good tho...

There has been no definite picture of the Super Black Predator so we don't know what it will look like other than being deformed/mutated. When I think deformed I think birth defect so maybe the SBP (Super Black Predator) will have mutated mandibles that make him look like an alien version of Jason Voorhees.

Welcome to the Lair!...damn fine work you got there. Be prepared to lose even more time and hope to see more work from you in the future.
Thank you good sir I appreciate the compliment and the welcome!

The mandibles look a little oversized in comparison to the rest of the head. And a little too thick. The sculpt overall looks good tho...
Ok I totally agree with you here.. I just havent been able to see it until pictures were taken. So the thickness of the actual mandible (bone/muscle) is too thick or just the skin over the top would you say?
I am trying to get some ribbon tools, Ive wanted to thin that skin out for a while!
And overall you feel they are too big for the face? I was admittedly bouncing between a few images of the wolf done by different sculptors so maybe in the process I just enlarged them a bit too big.

was thinking the same
BTW, very good start !
Thanks man! I've always been a Big time Pred fan but Just recently realized I was capable of sculpting one. This is my first personal sculpt ever. Ive done a few for my sculpture class last quarter but it was human forms and nothing finished to this caliber so this is a great learning experience!

If you reduce the thickness of the lower mandibles it will look better proportioned.

As for the top mandible, you see how the smaller tooth juts out too much from the top tooth? When you thin that area you wil see it more. If you were to bring that smaller lower tooth in more and streamline it with the mandible it will look more natural. Hope that makes sense...

I spent a few hours thinning and refining details around the mandibles. I cut the lowers off completely and restarted. Also every tooth was replaced by a new baked sculpey tooth as my originals didnt look like the concept references I have. Then an hour or two of smoothing with some turpenoid and brushes. He's coming along quite nicely. I'm feeling fairly good about him and have received quite a bit of praise and critique from friends and family. I'm getting to the point now where I just wanna get him done so I can feel that accomplishment. Then I can move onto one of the many ideas I have for sculpts. Lemme know what you guys think. He's still a work in progress and still needs a base as well. So there is plenty more work to do on him!
After taking these pics I can see that his lower mandibles around the teeth are still too thick so there will be more thinning to come!
IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back