Arrow: Wintergreen ('Deathstroke' island version)

stormtrooperguy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After chatting with Tvayumat about the island mask that Wintergreen and Slade wear, I decided to do a "quick and dirty" build of one. The goal was to do it with stuff I had on hand, in a couple of days.

To start, I sculpted it out of wed clay on a resin sculpting armature I had.

Untitled by stormtrooperguy, on Flickr

Then I molded that with some leftover rebound 25 silicone I had from prior projects. Despite being over a year old and literally scraping the bottom of the bucket to get enough out, the mold was good. I've never tried molding wed clay with silicone. I wasn't sure about reactions, so I coated the whole thing in thinned down vaseline first. I don't know if that was necessary, but it worked.

I didn't want to waste any of my freeform air on this, so I made the mold jacket out of plaster of paris. I then proceeded to make a positive casting, also out of plaster of paris. If I decide to do more than a handful of these, I'll re-do that with a stronger plaster.

Casting complete, and holes drilled for the eyes. The plaster is about 2" thick, with embedded fiberglass drywall tape (again, using what I had on hand)

Pulled in 0.080 HIPS. The droplets are from rinsing it off after sanding.

Then I made up a quick covering for it, attached with contact cement.

There are a few changes I plan to make:

• I'm going to smooth out the plaster casting a bit, so that the final surface of the mask isn't quite as bumpy.
  • The pattern I drew up for the hood is a bit too small, so I'll be enlarging it by an inch and a half or so.
  • The hood is going to have a hidden zipper in the back, both to make it easier to wear and easier to glue to the shell.
  • I shouldn't have cut the eye holes out completely... Leaving a lip around the edge would have matched the reference better, and made it easier to assemble.

So far though, I'm really happy with it.

On a related note, anyone know if there's been any research into Wintergreen's suit? Specifically his forearm guards. I've got most of what I need from Deathstroke, and think this might be a fun variation.

Last edited:
Re: Arrow: Wintergreen/Slade's island mask

Some great info here. And some great work. I made my mask for last years halloween. But time was running low and it didn't get it 100% done. And since then I haven't touch it. Always wanted to make a more solid one like this one you've made. And with the info you so kindly provided, I'll give it a shot. Mine is made out of plaster and latex. Not so solid, hehe.

IMG_5119.JPG

Keep up the good work.

Thanks! I'm continuing to improve the technique. I just ordered more black plastic, so the next will have a dark shell, which should darken up the yellow. I think that will be the final touch that makes me feel like it is finished!

Awesome work! You really have captured the look of the actual mask. I'm looking forward to seeing how the color changes on the yellow with the black shell. Great job!

Thanks!

With the mask out of the way, I've started collecting bits to make the full suit. This stuff was identified in the Definitive Deathstroke thread, but that thread has gotten all munged up with Island Slade, Wintergreen and Deathstroke:

• Black BDU pants/shirt
  • Hardware to make my own version of the riggers belt. I already had a cobra buckle of the right size, so this was really just the D ring and webbing.
  • Rollerblade Bladegear Pro knee/elbow pads
  • Nike Maximus T90 shin guards
  • Mizuno VS-1 volleyball pads (for the forearms)

Some observations:

The forearms look like the center of the Mizuno (or similar) pads were used, but a custom bracer portion was built. That's what I plan to do at least, since up close it will look better than just having a straight up knee pad on my arm.

The Rollerblade gear (that I got at least) has a bluish colored mesh. That doesn't look right, so I colored it black with a marker. In one screen cap I was able to see the Rollerblade logo on the elbow pad. They didn't remove the labels, they just colored over the words. I'm on the fence here... I want it to be accurate, but up close you'll see that, and I think it will look cheesy, I'm probably going to remove the labels. Similarly I'm considering replacing the velcro straps with quick clips to make it look a bit less rollerblady... we'll see how that plays out as I go.

The shinguards will get painted black. That's pretty easy. I'm not so into this suit as to try to track down the boots... I'll just wear generic combat boots.

I've already got the swords, both real and replica, from Slade. I'll just make a new sheath/bandolier.

I'm planning to make the grenades myself, rather than tracking down exact shells. Again, this is sort of an 'off duty' suit, so I'm not looking to really nail it 100%. A bit of time with a lathe, and I'm pretty sure I can make a convincing shell.

Looks like the same glove pouches that Deathstroke uses, so I can share those.

Same vest, that's all set.

I have a similar drop leg holster, so I'll just go with that.

Boot knife looks the same as what I've got for Slade already.

Gloves look like Deathstroke's, but without the blue knuckles. Unfortunately this means I'll need to get a new pair for him. Not sure if I'll get the Oakley ones or something cheaper yet.

My black plastic is in the mail now, so hopefully I'll be making a new black shell this weekend (assuming it arrives on time!)

I made the replica sorts out of 1/8" styrene. The real swords are super cheesy to begin with. They are basically just flat steel bars with some areas cut out. I took one of the real ones, traced it, and made 2 plastic ones.

The real ones were like $25 a pair, so I pretty much just bought them to be templates.

I have since completed and sold this costume.... wow, time flies :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back