Arrow TV show face mask sculpture. Moulding/casting photos up.

TigerStoneFX

Happy thanksgiving everyone! Hope you all have an amazing holiday.

I banged this out after seeing the photo released the other day, loved the design and face masks are always fun little projects.

I'll be moulding this over the weekend if my supplies show up, hope you like it :cheers

WP_20131128_11_48_33_Pro1_zps4d2fc6ff.jpg

WP_20131128_11_49_10_Pro1_zps5386381e.jpg

Nat

Last edited:
Re: Arrow TV show face mask sculpture.

Thanks guys :) I'll be moulding this over the weekend and then I'll start doing pigment tests for the urethane, the green they chose is an odd shade.

That is a great sculpt. Everyone that has made one of these so far is just killing it! Great job!!

Thanks Pinder91! Annoyingly still waiting on supplies to arrive so I've had to move moulding to wednesday :(

Thanks, it will be! haha My materials have finally arrived so I'll be doing the fiberglass tomorrow and the silicone will probably be poured thursday. Pics as I go :)

Got the mould finished and cleaned up ready to go, should have a photo of a casting later on today.

Here's the moulding process for anyone interested. This is what is known as a poured "matrix mould", also called a case mould or jacket mould over here. The idea being that you create the silicone mould with an even thickness so it sits perfectly in the jack so if a little shrinkage should occur, it shouldn't distort the mould. Or as I like to call it "the movie way of moulding" :lol

As above, clay is cut to a consistent thickness and laid over the sculpture. Keys are added around the edge and the center to keep the mould sat correctly in the jacked.

WP_20131204_17_03_21_Pro_zpse1235a3e.jpg

Once its fiberglassed, it pulls away nice and cleanly.

WP_20131205_15_39_37_Pro_zpsd9c8bbc2.jpg

Then that clay is cleaned out (but saved to workout the volume of silicone needed) and bleeder holes and a large pour hole is added.

WP_20131205_16_29_18_Pro_zps5ea460d8.jpg

WP_20131205_21_01_51_Pro_zps4ebc80af.jpg

Once this is all done, I sprayed the the sculpture with a satin black spray to give the final mask the sheen I want. Then I hot glued a water bottle to use as a pour spout and hot glued all the edges to prevent leaking. The small bleed holes allow air to rise and exit the mould as the silicone is poured, these are plugged with screws or clay once silicone has risen and starts to leak out of them.

WP_20131205_20_19_03_Pro_zps15b4ea65.jpg

WP_20131205_22_23_01_Pro_zps9a88340c.jpg

Plugged mould with silicone poured.

WP_20131205_23_39_34_Pro_zps4940c75f.jpg

Then you open it and here is what you have, a perfect mould that will sit perfectly in the jacket as it was injected around it rather than brushed on over the silicone.

Re: Arrow TV show face mask sculpture. Moulding photos up.

And we have a casting! I'll be working on a core for these next week so I can just inject them instead of hand laying them. Junk Yard post inbound!

WP_20131207_11_21_56_Pro2_zps52867301.jpg

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Stopped getting notifications for some reason.

It was fun to learn a new process on this. KevlarGorilla, there are 2 ways to cast from a mould like this:
I can use the core I sculpted the mask on and bolt the mould to it, then inject urethane through the core into mould or I can use just the mould in the jacket to hand lay the rubber in.

Dude that's amazing! I'm going to start on mine soon, just done a plaster mold of my face. I'm not too experienced with this sort of thing. I'm going to try different methods and see whats best; leather sculpting onto the cast, fibreglassing, or i might use that polymorph stuff you can get

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back