Arp/d48thRonin interview - my latest youtube video

MattMunson

Master Member
If you're not familiar with Tim's work from the RPF, you've no doubt seen his stuff in the movies. Tim was gracious enough to do an interview for my newest web series "The Project Work Bench."

Check it out, and let me know what you think!

Ep 1 - The Project Work Bench - Tim Arp Interview Part I - YouTube

Tim talks about the props and films he's worked on, and also gives some great insight into what makes the industry tick, and some strategies on finding work. this is part 1 of a 3 part interview, so stay tuned.

Cool interview. My only piece of advice is to use a de-hissing filter on Tim's audio. His voice was coming through really clear otherwise and that hiss is really easy to remove.

Excellent advice Risu! I appreciate the feedback. I've actually done that in the past on other episodes, but it completely slipped my mind for this one. Good call. I will fix that in the next part of the interview. :D

Ehhh... 'sokay ;)

Holy crap - Skyler101. Long time no see, dude!

Hey Tim... Yeah, I fell off the planet for a few years in the Middle East! Highly classified hush/hush op invoking me and a camel! Now Im in Canada of all places, and back on the RPF!

Hoping to hit SoCal, so we all can hit the galleria again... Shame there are no more Farscape cons to go and disrupt! :)

-Skyler101

Thanks for the feedback Gil! I definitely wanted to launch the new series with someone like Tim, who is not only a really talented builder, but has a TON of great experience to not only speak of, but also to provide industry insight to folks who might be thinking of "giving it a shot" :)

I must confess I'm kind of surprised. When Amanda and I first started making videos about a year ago, one of the primary and loudest complaints is that the vids were a bit too light hearted, and didn't have props as their central focus. I suppose it really shouldn't come as too big of a surprise to learn that when you give the squeaky wheel the grease, you end up helping ONLY the squeaky wheel!

Well, I for one am super happy with the interview, not only because it gives a lot of great insight into the industry, but it also provides some realistic, actionable tips on what one can do to give it a shot. I'm sure there are folks out there that will find these interviews interesting and useful. I also learned a ton while making them, including a lot of new editing techniques, and you and I debugged the whole "remote interview" process.

So even though it may not have a ton of hits, I still consider it a total success!

Agreed. I was happy to do it (and a bit flattered that you would even ask) and I was rather impressed with how you cut it all together. Well done :thumbsup

I'll be interested to see who else you might be talking to next...

I've already got a number of interviews filmed, with the next one being AbbyDarkStar, of this very forum. She's a great costumer, and a wonderful interviewee. I also have Keith Carter all filmed, which is also a great interview.

As for interviews I've got lined up, there are TONS of them all set to go. I think I literally have 10 people who are ready, willing, and able to contribute. I think the cool part is that they are all from different parts of different hobbies. It's a very broad spectrum of talents I hope to cover. In general, if you make something, I want to interview you. Whether its cars, costumes, props, miniatures, movies, boats... WHATEVER! It's also not going to be limited to the RPF. I know of a ton of really talented folks who have never even heard of the RPF that would make for great interviews, so I will be covering them too. And with any luck, I'll be able to sneak a few celebs in here and there.

And thanks for the kind words! I too think it cut together really nicely, and it was really fun to tackle some of the challenges that presented themselves in the process. Definitely a really fun learning experience, and I cannot thank you enough for being my first guinea pig!

I just watched episode III again, and MAN I do not get tired of that story about how you got your work into the Hellboy movie. THAT is a darn inspirational story, sir! I'm serious. I think that's really cool that you were a huge fan, and started off just building stuff for your own amusement. Which then led you to Guillermo's front door, AND HE KNEW WHO YOU WERE! That's nuts.

I loved the interview. Great job.

I think that these are just going unnoticed because threads end up on Page 3 within about 15 minutes nowadays.

AND THIS WAS MY 6000th post! Woohoo...

I finally got around to watching this!
Very interesting stuff! I had no idea you worked on so many films! And had no idea of the backstory for Hellboy. Very cool!

Thanks for doing this mattmunson! I definitely look toward to the others

Thanks for doing this mattmunson! I definitely look toward to the others

Thanks dude! Definitely a lot more to come, though Tim is a tough act to follow when it comes to history in the industry, and sheer talent.

Today I am interviewing the very talented Ted Smith, who is not only a professional prop and model maker, but also a director. Should make for a great interview!

Once I get done posting all the videos from PAX, I'll knuckle down and start editing out all of the interviews I've got in the can. That is, in between building the MattMobile :D

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back