Arkham scarecrow mask

L DIABLO

well first let me start off by saying this is my first attempt at anything of this nature , in no way am i trying to use it as an excuse , with that being said hope you like my thread , i tried to make this mask as authentic as possible , i tried to put myself in the characters shoes per say.

TOOLS USED:
DSCN1483.jpg

DSCN1482.jpg

gold_peak_coca_cola.jpg

The base of the mask is made of a gold peak bottle ( center section)

DSCN1481.jpg
i then took a heat gun and went crazy with it focusing on the shape of the scare crow face , and sculpting it as i see fit , this is what i ended with.

DSCN1479.jpg

DSCN1480.jpg
then i roughly drew where the eyes where located and where the stitching would end up , once i liked the look i cut out the mouth and eyes

DSCN1485.jpg
the material i choose for the mask itself is a canvas type material , like what is used for carhart clothing ( very strong )

DSCN1504.jpg
it looked too crisp and clean for my liking so i took some matte black spray paint to give it a dirty look , i also aged the material with some rough sand paper.

DSCN1503.jpg
this is what i ended up with im very happy with the outcome

DSCN1506.jpg

DSCN1507.jpg

DSCN1508.jpg
i dont have a maniquin head so i got an old mask and stuffed it with bags and proped it to start the fabric work.

DSCN1509.jpg

DSCN1510.jpg

DSCN1511.jpg
then i threw the canvas on the mask and started to sculpt the material before i permanently glued it down.

DSCN1514.jpg

DSCN1513.jpg

DSCN1512.jpg
here is what i ended up with after gluing it down (rought look)

DSCN1515.jpg

DSCN1516.jpg
then i cut out the eyes making sure to give myself enough fabric to roll behind the eye sockets to give it a clean look.

DSCN1517.jpg

DSCN1518.jpg
next i cut out the mouth , kindof looks like the oogie boogie man from the night mare before Christmas at this stage.

DSCN1505.jpg
next up is the stitching for the mouth , i decided to use some pull chord which is very sturdy and the thickness i desired ,

DSCN1519.jpg
the chord looked way too clean for a dirty scare crow so i misted some spray paint on the chord and went around wiping anything dirty with the chord and i ended up with this comparison.

DSCN1536.jpg
the tool i used to make the holes for the heavy stitching its a metal scribe tool , be careful it is very sharp , i had to use this as the material and plastic is very hard to penetrate.

DSCN1520.jpg

DSCN1521.jpg

DSCN1522.jpg

DSCN1524.jpg

DSCN1525.jpg

DSCN1528.jpg

DSCN1529.jpg

DSCN1531.jpg

here is the mouth stitching finished it took me an hour and a half to do the stitching , as i had to make the hole , widen it with a screw then thread it in , be careful not to stab your hand as i did.:facepalm

DSCN1533.jpg

DSCN1534.jpg

DSCN1535.jpg

the devil is in the details they say so i decided to give it actual tear damage before stitching the face , i am using a tallon razor for the tearing

DSCN1538-1.jpg

DSCN1539.jpg

DSCN1540.jpg
here is the under eye stitching using my pick tool

DSCN1541.jpg

here is the eye finished , the same technique was used for the middle of the face.

DSCN1543.jpg

up next i wanted to blacken out the eyes and mouth so i looked around the house and used a black tarp material ( the same material they use on fences in construction jobs)

DSCN1544.jpg
here are the eyes finished

DSCN1548.jpg
for the mouth i used the same canvas material but spray painted matte black it gave it the perfect look

DSCN1549.jpg

DSCN1547.jpg

DSCN1545.jpg

DSCN1546.jpg

for the finishing touches i decided to do a heavy rough looking stitch for the back of the head.although it is going to be hidden under a hood

crow.jpg

and here it is as it sits now

Last edited:
Well, I would say for the filters on the mouth; an old spray paint mask canister. Or look into just purchasing the replacment filters. Spray paint them silver, then dry brush some black. However, I am not sure how much those filter replacments run or what your budget is.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back