Arkham Origins Cowl - 1st crafting experience, need help

gusmaia

Hey guys,

I'm trying to make my very 1st crafting 'work', an batman suit, arkham origins style for halloween.
So far I tried to make the cowl on cardboard to see how it went befor making it in foam.

05/10/2015 - First try at the cowl using JFcustom's pepakura

I got some issues, here are the pictures:
MLFiJzb.jpghGJtQxF.jpgjTvgUmE.jpg7XPCUGy.jpgUgnwMpB.jpg

Problems:
1 - the cowl ending at the neck doesn't go in my head's manequin and I ripped off a little bit trying to fit it in my head;
2 - when on head, the chin part has a huge gap;
3 - I can't see too much with the mask on, not sure if wrong positioning or wrong eye size;
4 - the back part, has u can see, is not closed, and I don't know where I failed;

(All solved I hope)

Update:

14/10/2015 - I just finished my second prototype, this time in a 3mm EVA foam piece

Hi6IgF8.jpg

I reduced all the proportions in about 3 cms and I'll a velcro wrap to the bottom of the cowl so I can take it in and out, so problem solved it seems!

Next step it's to make the glue showing up on the cowl to go away and give it a realistic paint. Any tips guys?

19/10/2015 - My first attempt at the gauntlets

J6yRCWO.jpgkJ2JgVH.jpgVy4aXrY.jpgvNSAfRa.jpgc3V94bS.jpg

Some problems I've noticed so far:

1 - I glued the parts before curving them, so it's getting dificult to curv them now;
2 - I didn't polish (I think that's the name) the parts before glueing them together, not sure if it will be harder that way or not;
3 - I used the template from TheFoamCave.com and it seems kinda big to me, maybe I'll redo it and trim it down a little bit.

Next:
Probably new gauntlets w/ the inner gauntlets and working on the neck and shoulder pieces

Let me know what u think, more updates soon!
Big thanks to BigBat23 for all the help he's been giving me!

Attachments

• jDFWEEn.jpg
    jDFWEEn.jpg
    615.6 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Hey gusmala,

My first impulse as to why the back isn't closing, it is because the 4 parts that meet at the top are slightly too long. Shaving off some length off of each of those will probably help it close up a bit, and may shorten the helmet enough for it to rest correctly on the front of your face.

If that adjustment does not fix the resting problem, it may just be designed for someone with a taller cranium than you. If you don't want to mess with other measurements, you could probably just add some padding to the top of the inside of the cranium.

The chin can easily be trimmed an inch or so which should enable it to meet your chin.

As for fitting it on and off your head without damaging it: you may want to leave that back panel free, and just have it attach with magnets or something, so that when you want to take it off, you can simply remove the back panel and slide it off your head.

Hopefully one or more of the above helps you out!

Tyvm for your help. So maybe I'll reduce the height size about 2 cm so it fits my size better, or its better to reduce the 3 sizes to keep it propotional?

My gut instinct is always to keep things proportional, but if you go that route, you should do another cardboard mock-up, so that you know for sure.

My gut instinct is always to keep things proportional, but if you go that route, you should do another cardboard mock-up, so that you know for sure.

Tyvm mate :D I'll try it and post asap. btw, do u know where I can find the other head/neck parts from AO's batman?

And you are more than likely to have to cut some of the bottom off so your head fits. I had to do it to mine.

even when reduced? do u have any photos of urs so I can see how/where to cut? tyvm

I made a first attempt at this and it came out pretty terrible. Not sure if it was because I sized it down for a child and it came out so small and the pieces were just too small to connect flush or if I'm just terrible at this.

hi everyone im trying to make the cowl for the batman arkham origins for my son as he is going to comicon on Saturday. we are looking for the cut out download template and cant find them anywhere. anyone able to help us?

Make a model of it out of Styrofoam, put something like clay or like play dough and let it dry and then make the man out of that. Thats what I should think you should try.

Or if you have a 3d printer you simply could make the mold of it and use fiberglass to put into the mold. The mold could also be made out of Styrofoam but with something like Aluminum foil and then use the fiberglass. I know this works because I have done it on surfboards, skateboards, snowboards, masks etc

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back