Arkham Knight Batsuit v8.04

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by TheBlur, Jul 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

Hi guys.

This is my first thread here. I just wanted to share the progress of my Arkham Knight batsuit build since its my first epic costume project. I've started 3d modeling the gauntlets, which I will print and then assemble and cast in either polyurethane or urethane rubber.
    received_704366473002879.jpeg received_704366483002878.jpeg received_704366469669546.jpeg

Cerberus28 and MrsAChapman like this.
  2. PhantomEvoX

PhantomEvoX Member

I'll definitely be following this.

TheBlur likes this.
  3. VinMan

VinMan Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Do you own a. Good printer

4. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

I own an ultimaker2. Its pretty good but I might get the smaller higher res stuff printed by shapeways if needed.

Here's some other prints Ive done.

20150519_220808.jpg
    20150509_182521.jpg
    20150426_101734.jpg
    20150125_222228.jpg

MrsAChapman likes this.
  5. Junin101

Junin101 New Member

TheBlur,
    Where did you get this Spider-Man mask? Do you have the link?

6. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

7. Junin101

Junin101 New Member

8. LegacyArmory

LegacyArmory Active Member

I love the arkham knight batsuit, very highly detailed and beautiful. Good luck with the project.

9. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

Thankyou. Yes, the detail is incredible and certainly my favourite so far. This is the only Batsuit I knew I just had to build. Hopefully I will do it justice. I will post an update tomorrow once I've got a little further with the shin guards.

10. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Stellar work! How do you build these models? I've been dying to learn as I want to get into the 3D printing craze.

11. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

I've been a 3d artist for over 7 years so I've learnt quite a bit. I use maya and zbrush for my stuff but you can pick up Blender for free if you want to start learning basics on a budget. Its certainly worth it though in my opinion. I used to sculpt and practically make a lot before 3d printing became so accesible. The efficiency is fantastic - having sculpts cluttering your house or making expensive mistakes isnt really an issue with 3d. Although printers can be unpredictable at times. Id certainly recommend zbrush if you want to get into serious detail, meshmixer is a great tool for sizing and exporting models for print as well.

12. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

Here's some progress on the Shin Guards.
    ShinGuards3d.jpg
    They still need a lot of work and a ton of re-modeling in places to be accurate. (The very top part I noticed would be cast in rubber and connected to the undersuit rather than part of the metal Shin guard itself, so I will probably tackle this after the armour).

The gauntlets also need to be adjusted since I noticed some differences to the game reference:
    gauntletreference.jpg
    I will probably adjust this tomorrow before carrying on with the shins.

13. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

I also got some ShinGuard reference I captured from the game today..
    ShinGuardsreference.jpg
    The footage is more helpful since the light pulls out more obvious shapes when you orbit the camera. After a good study I've picked up plenty of mistakes that will need to be addressed.. will fix the gauntlets first though..

14. superher0g33k

superher0g33k Active Member

R u u going to post the files eventually????? :)

TheBlur likes this.
  15. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

This is an entirely personal project so I have no plans to release the files, sorry. The game is relatively new and I’d like the community to have the opportunity to be able to create their own suits without being ‘spoon-fed’ free digital files. There is so much work involved it would be unfair for me to freely distribute files similar to those someone else has put their time and effort into (whether their agenda is to sell, freely distribute or finalise in a ‘run’).

I have to say, free files are great! I have used a few in the past and have been very grateful for them. However, they do damage creativity and peoples opinions on 3d printing. Pep files are a bit different, but my files aren’t currently suited for Pep and I have no interest in converting them.

If I did decide to release the files eventually, it would be after the market had a variety of AK costumes. If I can help it I want to try and avoid saturating the community with too many duplicates. I found myself not appreciating the Iron Man costumes as much because of this.

This thread will hopefully just be here for knowledge sharing and inspiration and highlighting issues that may arise during the build for others to take note of.
    I don't want to create a thread as a repository for ready made files unless its part of an open source and collective collaboration. And in most cases I'd prefer to contribute than lead the thread.

This has been a lengthy reply, but I'm assuming this may become a frequent question as the thread progresses in which case I can point them here.

On Another note
    *If you are also building your own Arkham game related suit please feel free to mention it here*

Maryfoxfirebird likes this.
  16. VinMan

VinMan Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Beautiful modeling. Only wish I had the experience with these programs.

Can't wait to see these pieces come to life in the real world!

TheBlur likes this.
  17. superher0g33k

Okee dokee, keep up the good work though! :)

TheBlur likes this.
  18. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

Thanks VinMan! Its never too late to learn. I'm still learning everyday and I'd say that maybe 25% of what I learn't when I started is now irrelevant due to newer techniques.
    Really looking forward to seeing it too! I will be printing and modeling simultaneously so will potentially have the gauntlet next week.

Thanks superhe0g33k!

MrsAChapman likes this.
  19. scarmona

scarmona New Member

Your renders look amazing!! Good luck on the whole suit.
    Are you modeling from scratch using the game 3d renders or are you using something else as a model as well? The Neca 1/4 scale figure looks very very accurate!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

20. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

Thanks. These are just screengrabs, i'll do some proper renders when each piece is fully done. I've tried many different refence options so far. The first were just screengrabs from the trailers, then when i got the game I tried capturing a scan using ps4 video capture and autodesk memento to make a 3d mesh. That failed miserably. The prime 1 studio statue is gorgeous and looks the most accurate ive seen although its got a hefty price tag so i cant buy and 'scan' that. I have recently managed to grab a game rip from the pc version from someone. Its a low poly intersecting triangular mess but its soo helpful to get the right scaling. I still have to re model everything and reference the high poly game render to add all the detail etc but it will hopefully speed up the process and give me an even more accurate replica. Once all the shapes have been accurately matched and segments split up I can further detail and 'key' each part in zbrush so the prints all fit together flush.

..So my main source of reference is still the suit turntable in the extras menu. Unfortunately the low poly model doesn't hold enough shape to just upres and most of the parts have no depth to them otherwise this may have been much easier.

21. scarmona

scarmona New Member

The PS4 version of Arkham Knight got an update a few days ago that enabled Camera Mode, not sure if it was already available for PC or Xbox but you can take pictures with different lighting, angles and zoom at anytime during gameplay.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  22. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

Sweet. I'll check it out.

scarmona likes this.
  23. superher0g33k

Any updates?

24. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

Soon.. I haven't forgotten! life got in the way these past couple of weeks.

25. Nhatz

Nhatz New Member

@TheBlurr hey man this is awesome! I've been looking for the gauntlet and shin guards for this.... do you have a file for pepakura to be unfolded?
    unnamed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  26. RaDDersMaDDness

RaDDersMaDDness Member

Did you use files for the cowl and chest? if so can you share?

27. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

Apologies for the very long break. Life does get in the way, but Im still on this project so I think its time to revive the thread for a few months. I have finished the Arkham Knight batman cowl in 3d, so I will be prepping it for print soon. I will share some pics when I get home from work tonight.

28. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

ArkhamKnightCowlZB.jpg ArkhamKnightCowlMa.jpg

Here's some pics of the progress. I did notice a mistake along the back, I need to separate one more panel but I think its looking pretty close. Tiny hairline details on some of the panels were also missed until yesterday when I was looking at the suit in photo mode.

The cowl has been very subtly adjusted around the chin/jawline to fit with my head scan so hopefully this will fit like a glove. *touches wood*.
    I have added some indent lines around the edges with the idea that I do not have to cut on visible areas when it is finally cast in urethane.

I am planning on cutting out the temple parts and making a 'tech' inner section separately, covered in what appears to be a hexagonal gauze. This will then be attached from the inside of the cowl.

I have also ordered some materials for the under suit (although will be doing this last). I am very apprehensive, yet excited at tackling this. I will get my body photogrammetried..photogrammeterised.. photo- scanned *whatever* using memento or agisoft and build the templates with the help of Marvelous designer. Once the patterns are sorted I'll do a test fit with some cheap dummy material before committing to the faux leather.. all I can think is that this suit is gonna be VERY warm and heavy.

If anyone notices anything that I have missed detail-wise please let me know. I'm open to critique.

creative stress and JJ Griffin like this.
  29. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

20160407_202032.jpg

The grey faux leather came today. This stuff is perfect for what I want the undersuit to be made of. Im keeping an eye on the navy blue and black for when it comes back in stock.

30. tjbro13

tjbro13 New Member

the pleather looks awesome, but yikes! a full undersuit of the stuff would be pretty stiff and not very comfortable. if you're sure you want to go that route, make sure to integrate a light fabric or mesh so you don't sweat like mad!

31. Bonded Hawk

Bonded Hawk Well-Known Member

Many of the vaders have mesh backs for ventilation. Just saying...

32. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

tjbro13 Yeah, I'm expecting it to be warm, this certainly won't be a summer con costume. Luckily England is normally quite wet and breezy. I picked the thinnest pleather I could find so I'd imagine it would be similar in temperature to a latex or muscle suit.. or one of those new mass produced deadpool suits i keep seeing around.

The suit will be made up of panels so if I think about it I may be able to disguise various ventilation points.

Materials.jpg

The hexagonal texture fabric would be a lighter more breathable material. (fortunately this also goes under the arms).
    The other panels overlap each other.
    Anybody got an opinion on the Navy blue patches? I assume they are dark blue but It may also be the lighting/ surface material. I cannot make up my mind but I think a bit of blue might make it more interesting.

The gloves.. THE GLOVES! are the most detailed looking part of the suit, I think I will be ignoring these for the build and just find an acceptable substitute
    for now

BATMAN™_ ARKHAM KNIGHT_20160408181633.jpg BATMAN™_ ARKHAM KNIGHT_20160408181613.jpg BATMAN™_ ARKHAM KNIGHT_20160408181557.jpg BATMAN™_ ARKHAM KNIGHT_20160408181545.jpg

The Cowl 3d model is now finished. All the corrections have been made now as far as I can tell so It'll soon be time to double check measurements and split it up so it fits in my printer.

CowlComplete_01.jpg CowlComplete_02.jpg

creative stress likes this.
  33. JokerMan

JokerMan Well-Known Member

This looks awesome so far :D I'll be following this thread with a keen interest. I might even use it as a reference point if I should ever make my own (in the VERY far future XD)

TheBlur likes this.
  34. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

JokerMan, thanks!. If you have any questions when you get round to doing your own, hopefully I'll be able to help :)

JokerMan likes this.
  35. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

Here's the latest update. I spent the weekend printing parts for the cowl, the bottom section is printing now. Aiming to get this assembled and smoothed next week.
    IMG_20160417_195640.jpg

E60flip345 and creative stress like this.
  36. creative stress

creative stress Well-Known Member

This looks awsome mate

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

TheBlur likes this.
  37. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

Not even home from work yet and my girlfriend sent a picture of a a failed print. And only 2 hours remaining! The problem with these printers is that you have to constantly babysit them incase they decide to chew filament or block the nozzle. I have a feeling that my evening will consist of assessing damage, taking the extruder apart and cursing. Then Ill set it off again for another 20 hours. Urghh.. I had plans for gauntlets tonight.

Attached Files:

38. Cerberus28

Cerberus28 New Member

Can you make a printable template of these gauntlets?

39. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

As in a flat print? Theyre too high res, sorry I don't make pep files.

CrimsonCoscrafts likes this.
  40. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

IMG_20160419_083811.jpg
    IMG_20160418_222936.jpg
    Even though this failed it still looks pretty cool. Sooo close. Think the printers fixed and will try and set this off again tonight.

creative stress and Mig407 like this.
  41. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

i was reseacrhing this suit alot a few months ago before deciding to go with a differnt charecter. from the concept designs there is no navy blue its silver and black lether combined with the (liquid armour) which is basically raised honeycomb over lycra, you could either pay for a screen print, dye sub and 3d paint or just go with a sports mesh if you dont mind it not being 100%.
    my idea was to commission someone to do a dye sube of the undersuits and the 3d paint the honeycomb and stitch lines as if its printed on a resonably shiny fabric it will look very much like leather without the breathability problems.

look forward to seeing your costume i hope to tackle this next year after i have a few projects out of the way.

- - - Updated - - -

if you're after pep instead of 3d print someone attatched them too JFCustoms page.

42. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

sp1derman. Thanks dude, yeah I've been looking at the concepts too. The suit in first trailer actually differs to the finalized game model as far as I can tell. The shinguard texture in the trailer has a carbonfibre like pattern but the game does not. I can see the silver and black sections, im assuming the navy colour must just be a shinier black? I will have a look at what looks better. I will be 3d printing a honeycomb pattern mold to cast a soft urethane or silicone pattern as a raised texture to stick onto the lycra (much like the spiderman webs). That way they should be really even. I found puffypainting didnt give me as clean results as what i was after when i made my spidey costume.
    I will grab some more screenshots in different lighting conditions from the game again today and make a decision.

Update* I got the bottom of the cowl reprinted this week. It is all assembled and have started sanding. I sent off some high res prints to shapeways yesterday. I decided I needed the gauntlet spikes and some of the detailed screws printed in UFD so I should get those next week. Will post some more pics once they arrive and the cowl is sanded/primed ready for molding

43. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

Yeah its a pain alot of the HD shots of the costume aren't actually the same as what you see in the game im hoping to figure out how to take screen shots on my XBOX one (excuse to play the game for the 8th time) i've actually just purchased DO3D's files to start building my own.

Le me know how th silcone honeycomb comes and if you willing to sell a set to fellow Bat:)

with the colours honestly i think the undersuit is grey leather, black leather and liquid armour (honeycomb texture) and the blue is just reflection of light. obviously being a computer creation its impposible for us to ever know for certain. the only reason im going for a dye sub undersuit is i struggle with heat alot in my suits and so would prefer as light as possible undersuit. i may sew a proper one down the line for diplay with bicep padding as i want gifften with batmans 20 inch arms lol

look forward to seeing your progress

44. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

double post

45. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

Also for the gloves contact DO3D they make a file for the hands I'm sure they'd sell just parts of it if you asked

Sent From The Batcave

46. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

There's a guy on deviantart 'xnasyndicate' that has ripped the game file. Its low res but you are right with the black grey. The diffuse maps dont have any blue on them at all. There are certainly two types of black which reflect differently though.

I will definitely be adding foam padding in the biceps too!
    There is already someone selling the honeycomb material by the sheet, it is a bit pricey but with labour cost its reasonable. I will find a link and post it (or a pic and name). Im only thinking of making it myself to reduce cost.

47. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

IMG_20160506_221721.jpg IMG_20160510_082402.jpg IMG_20160506_222046.jpg

A few updates. I got some high res buttons/screws printed so they were accurate. Also the gauntlet blades. These will be molded and cast in plastic or rubber. The cowl is getting there slowly. I need to finish sanding and cleaning it up some more. I will be getting the sides printed in high detail and attaching before the molding process

48. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

[​IMG]

I'm half considering getting something similar to this (to avoid loads of pattern construction) and getting some honeycomb lycra.

Just ordered all my prints so I'm sure I'll be messaging you for tips. Probably end up finishing our suits around the same time :)

Sent From The Batcave

49. TheBlur

TheBlur Member

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 21.49.37.png
    sp1derman . This is the fabric I found, you'd have to message him for details for this etc. I'd be willing to send you some of mine once its done too although you'd probably be better gluing it onto the material of your choice yourself.
    If you've ordered all your prints you will likely be done before me ;D. I'm aiming for October for the full suit but we'll see. Maybe if I take some time off work I'll get it done before. still working on making sure my models are accurate, trying to split the prints up to get the best details. I'm currently making a mannequin of myself for making the undersuit, oddly looking forward to the pattern construction, its a massive challenge.. so much detail, even urethane looking pads on the elbows and knees.

Will you be able to find the same material for the torso? or are you going to use another pair for patching?

You got a thread going? I'll subscribe to it.

50. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

id order 3 sets to be on the safe side for makinng the undersuit all from the same fabric. it is an awful lot of costruction but the costume is so worth all the work.
    im not a big fan of pattern making but do it quite a bit however i think for this a standared legging and top pattern heavily modified would do the trick niceley.
    ill have to see if i can get hold of the guy bout that raised fabric :)

i wont start my own thread till i have something good to show for it :)

at $40 dollars a tile how many do you reckon is needed for the AK undersuit?

a that sort of pring i may still go with the dye sub idea

Last edited: May 16, 2016