Arkham-ish armored Robin WIP

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by harrisonp, May 19, 2015.

1. harrisonp

harrisonp Well-Known Member

I’m absolutely terrible at documenting things as I work, but I’ve been free handing this armor for a week or two and now finally it is getting somewhere. I call it “Arkham-ish” because it’s not exactly adapted from any of the specific designs, but more inspired by the armored aesthetic of that universe.

Anyway here’s some pictures

[​IMG]

the front is made from 2 layers of foam, the base is the thicker EVA floor mat, and the actual armor plates are 6mm foamies. Did the little dremel head trick to etch the “bolts”. I hand painted it with foam brushes dipped in spray paint to give it more dimension, and then went with the trust old Rub n Buff for the silver parts. Still need to get to work on the Robin symbol, but I’m not 100% sure which version I will be going with. You can see a little of the shoulder pads, but I’ve got a bit more work/refining to do with those before I’m happy with them.

[​IMG]

The back is more foam mat, and the black detail panels are just scribed instead of 3D, didn’t feel like the back would be too visible anyway once I’ve got the cape on. The whole vest closes in 2 points at the side with 1in webbing and buckles, with 1.5in for the shoulder straps and buckles.

[​IMG]

these are the bicep pads getting Plastidipped, the design is pretty much taken straight from the Arkham Origins Batsuit. Not much to see here, definitely will look nicer once painted, though I’m not sure what colors they will be, along with the shoulder pads.

[​IMG]

I went with these shin guards that I see a lot of people using, cut the old elastic bands out and added some more 1in webbing and buckles. I will probably make a small sleeve/bracer to go under these to fill out the forearms more. I’ve plastidipped them for the texture, but they may not stay black, I’m still deciding.

[​IMG]

last and least I’m experimenting with mask shapes and eyeballed this from one of those generic cheap face masks. It is a little too big in most of the proportions right now, so I will probably be trimming it down in the near future. Once I’m settled on a shape I plan to cover it with foam and most likely add white mesh eyes because I won’t be going the eyeblack route.

well anyway thanks for looking, hope to have some more of this done in the next few days or so.

SD Rum, da wesheb and jimbob1986 like this.
  2. RingDeacon

RingDeacon New Member

Very cool. I love the chest and back piece.

3. harrisonp

Thanks! I ended up going for a "vest" style set up after having some bad luck gluing foam to fabric. I really like how easy on and off it is, and I will most likely just wear a plain black compression shirt under it which is nice because I won't have to worry about anything ripping off.

4. Bigbat23

Bigbat23 Well-Known Member

Very nice work! I will be watching this one.

5. Athanasius

Athanasius Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love this design, it's unique but still instantly recognisable... Awesome.

Well done harrisonp, it looks beautiful and I can't wait to see more!

6. harrisonp

So these aren't the best pictures but I wanted to get some more up tonight to show what I did today

[​IMG]

Realized I forgot to weather the shoulder pads after taking this picture, but I'm really happy with the color

[​IMG]

Arm guards weathered and painted green

[​IMG]

The shin guards were done fully today so they missed the original post. Just some thrift store catchers pads

I've got 2 different capes but I'm not happy with either of them because they look like pure clean lycra and don't match the weathered look of the rest, still trying to figure that out.
    Anyone have experience plastidipping fabric? I thought I might try that out

I hope to make some leg holsters for the batons/bo staff in the next few days but I've got to come up with a design first.

Thanks for checking this out its been a fun project and I'm excited to keep working on it!

Athanasius likes this.
  7. OneGoodScare

OneGoodScare Active Member

This is SO cool. Very clean and badass looking! You can pretty much change the colors up and make different characters too, which is nice

8. harrisonp

Thanks! That is what I really like about it, nothing too specific to one character but once you dress it up it comes to life! For that reason I'm having some difficulty tackling the Robin logo, I initially thought I would do a layered foamie emblem, but now Im not sure I want something so permanent glued on there. At this point I'm leaning towards just stenciling it on with spray paint in 2D, won't be as fun or weatherable but will leave the armor able to be repainted in the future should I decide to go that way.

I did a quick fitting tonight over some compression gear I had on hand and my only issue with the overall look is that it is very dark/black, so I'm now thinking about possibly going for a yellow/gold belt where I had planned to use black, which would hopefully break up the dark sections and give it more dimension.

9. OneGoodScare

A weathered yellow belt would give it a nice pop, while still retaining the overall look. As for the logo, maybe you can experiment with magnets? You can hide the magnets somewhere inside the suit so you can just pop the logo on and off

10. harrisonp

I had thought about magnets a little bit, probably countersink them into the backside of the chest and then get a thin sheet to glue the foamie logo to, might just paint it though out of laziness ha. I've got one of those canvas ammo belts that a lot of people use for Bat builds but I bought some 2" webbing and a buckle the other day to possibly make my own out of foam, can't decide which I like better. I may try plastidipping the canvas belt first and see if I can get a good texture on it.

11. harrisonp

[​IMG]

Wanted to add a small update, not really happy with the way this mask turned out but I may try to salvage it.

Another idea I am weighing is kind of out of left field but I was thinking some goggles like these and painting the frames black and the lenses white. It might be a little too "tactical" though

[​IMG]

12. Hazmat

Hazmat Well-Known Member

Looking good! Personally, I think those metal mesh goggles would look awesome and fit really well with the rest of what you have.

13. harrisonp

Thanks for the encouraging words, that mask was a train wreck when I was trying to put it together. The hot glue made the plastic mask warp and reform as I tried to hold the foamie on and get it shaped. Then part of it ripped so that's where that seam in the middle came from when I cut half of it away to try again.

Overall not stellar results but I've just seen a tutorial for molding foamies between two plastic Batman masks so I might try that out

Not entirely sure what I even made this all for but I'm happy to be wrapping the bulk of the work up. Moving on to the bo will most likely be my next step once I get the mask sorted.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  14. da wesheb

da wesheb Active Member

Wow. Excellent look. With your permission, I'd like to try and replicate this effect for my Batman build. Was going full fabric but this is fantastic!

15. harrisonp

Absolutely! I wouldn't have been able to make any of this without great examples on therpf in the first place. You should also check out Reznor9's Arkham Origins build, his was a big inspiration to me.

16. da wesheb

da wesheb Active Member

I definitely will! This presents new challenges but I believe it will create a much better final product. I can't wait to see yours in full glory.

17. harrisonp

Had some more progress with the mask, figure the only way to go is up after the fiasco of putting it together. Added some white wire mesh to help cover the eyes a bit, it isn't completely opaque and my eyes show a tiny bit but I much prefer it to open eyes.

[​IMG]

Still not perfect but passable for now

18. Hazmat

Hazmat Well-Known Member

If you want to hide that seam this stuff work pretty well
    a28b539f-7eed-4549-92d2-72b08d69444b_400.jpg

You can try putting another layer or two of that mesh if you want the eyes more opaque, just have the mesh at a different angle (90 degrees since you have about 45 degrees)

the mask turned out pretty well especially considering the trouble you had with it.

19. harrisonp

I may have to give that a try, I'm not sure if I care enough about the seam or not because I might not even stick with this mask . I was thinking that the double mesh might be a good solution, got to see if it obscures it too much .

20. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Everything is turning out great!
    im curious as to your dremel head bolt method. How is it you have the etched bolt look?

21. harrisonp

Hey thanks, your Batsuit was a huge push for me to do this project. For the bolts I just use the little sand paper tube attatchment and press the top of it down into the foam. It helps if you have the sanding tube protruding off the bit a little to get a deeper groove for the bolt "head" and the screw in the middle of the bit makes the hole in the bolt

I wasn't sure what to call it, but its this guy

[​IMG]

22. FrontaLittle

FrontaLittle Active Member

The harness looks pretty cool, I like the colors. But where's the boy wonder's "R" emblem ?

23. harrisonp

I haven't been able to commit to a design yet, but it'll be there

24. Archer21

Archer21 Active Member

Have you considered a leather mask? If you use 3-4 oz veg tanned leather you can cut it to the shape you want, wet it and form it to your face. Once it dries it'll hold its shape, although you might have to do it a few times to get the best results. I used it for my arrow mask. I would recommend drawing it out on paper or craft foam first to get the right shape and fit for your face, that way you don't waste the leather. :D

25. harrisonp

I hadn't even considered that, but that might be an awesome way to go. I'm not entirely sure where to find the leather though, I'd like to avoid having to buy it online.

26. Archer21

Archer21 Active Member

Also, idk whether or not you wanted to go the wrap-around route (like the Arrow mask) or just attach it via spirit gum or something else. If you're going "Arkaham-ish" you could wear a hood to hide the strap. I personally prefer the strap, I use elastic in the back and on the sides in between the gaps so it'll stretch when I put it on or take it off and is much more comfortable to wear. (I'll post a picture later If you want)
    You can get the leather at a Tandy's if you have one near you, I got mine on eBay.

27. harrisonp

If I stick with this current mask I would just keep the skinny black elastic, it doesn't really show too much or bother me, but if I end up making a new on I would probably go with some of that clear elastic string. I'm not a fan of things that keep me "trapped" in a costume like spirit gum or eyeblack would so I like the flexibility for removal that a strap gives.

28. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Thanks for the compliment and the tip. I might experiment with that because dremeling the stem off a bolt is no fun when you have to do it 30 times. Lol

29. harrisonp

Yeah I can completely understand how that could get tedious haha, is it possible to get shorter bolts and make a little hole to glue the shaft into? The only downside of the fake Drexel bolts is of course that they are flat head vs the pan heads like on your suit but I can't really think of a way around that.

30. harrisonp

Wanted to post an update before it got too late, got my bo basically fished, probably do a little Rub n Buff for extra wear. Its 3/4 PVC with some 1/2 extensions on the tips. I also wrapped the grip with paracord to add some dimension there.

[​IMG]

Here's a picture showing how they split into the Escrima. The joint inst beautiful and a bit of the unpainted pipe shows but that was basically unavoidable due to the friction and wear.

[​IMG]

I probably won't be making leg holsters for these as they are a bit long, most likely just carry it around in Bo mode.

FrontaLittle likes this.
  31. TigerStoneFX

TigerStoneFX Well-Known Member

Wow excellent work! I love seeing armoured versions of characters.

harrisonp likes this.
  32. SMP Designs

SMP Designs Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Loving this! Subbed and looking forward to more.

harrisonp likes this.
  33. harrisonp

So this is part update and part cry for help lol. I molded a new mask out of 3mm foamie and I really like it better than my first mask that I struggled through, but I most likely wont be adding the white eyes to this one, its just easier not to and I like the look without on this mask. The cry for help though comes from indecision on what to wear under the torso armor because I'm not in love with compression gear for a couple of reasons.

1: I don't have a terrible physique but I do feel a tiny bit naked/exposed when using it due to how thin it is and how it can be pretty unflattering at times.
    2: Stretch material tends to lack depth and texture, and feels very flat to me. As you can probably tell from how I tend to paint things, I lean not exactly towards "realism" but more grimey video game style textures, its just how I like things to look. So the slightly shiny and 2D black shirt under all of the other heavily painted pieces just kind of disappears and blends in with my cape too much. I'm now debating on using something like a fleece/softshell in a very dark grey but I really just can't decide what to do as of now.

Anyway not sure what I'm even saying at this point but I will GLADLY accept any pointers in regards to what to wear under all this and what color (be it black or grey) you guys think would be a good direction to go.

Thanks for reading.

34. FrontaLittle

FrontaLittle Active Member

If you compare newer movie costumes to their older version (e.g. the Dawn Of Justice Batman/Superman) you'll notice they have way more texture and detail even though it's one solid piece of a single color. I guess that's because we have better cameras and better image quality now so costume designers can add depth to these pieces. I think that's what you're looking for here, right ? More depth to a single, unicolored piece of costume.
    I found a running jersey I wore for my Robin because I felt a plain green shirt would look stupid. The jersey has a grid-like, fiber-ish texture of green and black stripes that kinda achieve the look of these new movie costumes. Maybe you wanna go with something like this. I'm sure there's functional clothing for climbing or diving or motorcycling that will fit your needs.

I like that approach. Wearing a simple black shirt under your harness might look a little cheap. Another option would be to wear this simple black shirt under your armor but sew textured fabric pieces on the areas which your harness reveals.

35. OneGoodScare

What about some thing like this?
    http://www.mmawarehouse.com/on/dema...house-Site/default/mProduct-Show?pid=uax-1146

Or, if you have a cheap compression shirt (maybe even just compression sleeves?) You could try what the spider-man cosplayers do by puff painting texture on it.

Another idea: if you can sew maybe try to make pieces out of cordura. Or some other material that can achieve a sort of paneled tactical look like the new batsuit

36. harrisonp

Yeah exactly, the newer superhero movies all have that "technical" or "ballistic" look to them which helps things not look so flat. I've been casually looking around at different athletic gear when I'm out at stores but I've yet to really go on a big search, which I know I will end up doing eventually. I like the idea of adding panels to contrast with the black so I may look into that as well.

I have considered either puff paint or getting some mesh/net material and shooting the undershirt with some spray paint with the net over it to make a "brick" pattern like a lot of the dye-sub suits have. I've got an old compression shirt that I use as my test piece for new techniques like that so I might try that before looking to other methods.

37. harrisonp

Okay so yet another update! Heres my new mask as it stands, 3mm foamies heat molded to my face, a big improvement over my first

[​IMG]

Next I think I've found an acceptable solution to my lycra issues. I took this mesh gym bag, laid it over the test fabric and misted with some grey primer. I think it adds a nice dimension and will only be in specific places around the shirt, I may experiment with taping off areas before spraying to make cleaner shapes. The pictures make it look much lighter than it is in person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its messier than it will be on the final veesion because it was just a test but it seems like a viable technique.

38. OneGoodScare

Nice thinking, that looks sweet! Might have to steal that technique one day

39. harrisonp

It's nice too because if you mess up a bit you can mist over it with some black to cover it up.

40. SMP Designs

Nice, I love that technique!

I just did something very similar on a GL project I was working on. I used the stiff plastic mesh that you put around small trees and garden plants. I used the square (because that's what they had to hand at the local Lowe's) but you can find it in different shapes (circle, diamond, hex, etc). I flattened it with a heat gun, misted it with Super77 to tack it to the cut pieces (to keep the pattern relatively clean) and sprayed it with metallic spray paint. It's kind of surprising how well it works and how durable it is. You can also really get creative with it using different colors and laying patterns over each other. And, if you have stencils laser-cut, the sky's pretty much the limit.

Here are a few pics of the GL process...

GL-fabric-1.jpg GL-fabric-2.jpg GL-fabric-3.jpg

CapKaos and stevechewbacca like this.
  41. harrisonp

That looks seriously awesome! Im playing with the idea of cutting some muscle shape stencils to try out on a grey compression shirt I have left from an abandoned Batman project.

SMP Designs likes this.
  42. SMP Designs

That would be very cool. You could do that pattern and then lay an all over mesh-pattern over it (or vice-versa) to really get low and highlights.

43. barbquebutt

barbquebutt Active Member

If you're not settled on anything in particular for an undershirt yet, I think a black windbreaker pullover with the sleeves cut off or cut short would give a good ballistic/tactical look underneath your armor. It'll be slightly baggy, but not cumbersome. I think spraypainting the pattern on it might even look good too.

Kinda like this except all black. I think we all had one in grade school...
    $_35.JPG

Batman kinda has that look in Origins, so it might be a good fit. Just a thought. :thumbsup

44. harrisonp

I could definitely see that working! I think I'm just going to go with a long sleeved compression shirt at this point though, its just easier really. I added some yellow onto the inside of my cape which helps to offset the black of the rest of the costume and keep everything from blending together.

45. harrisonp

Slapped everything together onto this makeshift stand (a hand cart) to see how the yellow in the cape worked with the rest of the pieces. Not pictured are the bicep pads, bo, and mask. Still need to get to work on what pants I'm going to wear with these, most likely a dark (black) denim for comforts sake.

[​IMG]

I'm really pleased with how it all looks, the belt does need some work though, and I'm still unsure if it will be black or yellow. Anyway, for those of you who have been following this thread and encouraging me along the way I wanted to thank you for all the advice youve been giving, it has really been helping me get through some not awesome times.

46. Bigbat23

Bigbat23 Well-Known Member

That looks awesome! Gonna look even better when you put it all on. Great work. And props for the originality.

47. Armatus Cosplay

Armatus Cosplay Well-Known Member

Stop making me want to make things I don't have time to make! Looking great, can't wait to see it all put together. Also love the improvised manikin ;)

harrisonp likes this.
  48. harrisonp

Alright you all are going to have to excuse the Bat-selfie that I took to get these pictures, but I wanted to get one with an actual human in it instead of just random costume pieces.

First heres my belt that I made today. Decided not to use the black cartridge belt because it wasn't really matching all that well.

[​IMG]

And here it is with the chest armor and bracers
    [​IMG]

tried to get a side angle of the armor and strapping

[​IMG]

well that's my selfie quota met for the year, but it's better than nothing!

stevechewbacca and JWMines like this.
  49. SMP Designs

LOVE the new belt! Miles away better than the cartridge belt. Looking really amazing so far - can't wait to see the whole project come together. :)

50. Solefreak88

Solefreak88 Active Member

Looks great bro.keep up the good work!