Arkham City Robin Costume

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by elvenisman2, Oct 23, 2011.

1. elvenisman2

elvenisman2 Member

So I made a challenge for myself to have this semi completed by the 31st so I can wear it for halloween and then after halloween I can make my adjustments and other pieces to it but so far I have most of the pieces I need and I'll be posting pics later of the progress so far.

I also want this to be an open discussion on the whole Batman franchise, favorite charactors, pictures of other peoples suits, and just a page for the people that love The Dark Knight. :)

2. Trenta30

Trenta30 New Member

I also want to make a Arkham City Robin Costume, but not for Halloween because it is to soon and I'm broke. I'd love to see pictures!

3. KorrickUSCM

KorrickUSCM Active Member

I'm really liking the Nightwing design from this game. I'd love to see a real life version of that!

4. elvenisman2

elvenisman2 Member

I found a pair of pants that have the blood stripe going down just like in the pics of Robin and found two other pics of him check it out :)

Waiting on the paint to dry on the almost completed gauntlet..

5. Cosmic Ash

Cosmic Ash Well-Known Member

awesome! another member on here (weaponx82) has the armored batman suit from the first game and probably after im done with my optimus prime for halloween i was gonna do an arkham city robin to have the dynamic duo haha

ill be watching this

6. Trenta30

Trenta30 New Member

OMFG Where did u get the pants!!!!????
    LINKS PLZ!!!!!

7. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

This is a lot of work to get done in a week...

8. elvenisman2

elvenisman2 Member

so just now I completed one shin guard and just need to glue the second, also got a hooded cape, and finished one gauntlet. planning on buying a drimmel tomorrow to patch up each piece and add detail to them and buying gloves tomorrow.

I know it is and thats exactly what makes it the challenging part :)

I didnt get them online I went to the walmart right next to my house and went into the mens clothing department and found a pair of Starter pants that had the gray stripe on the side and next to them was this pair and i got them for $12.

Once the other shin guard is glued later i'll be posting pics up of how it looks so far but just keep in mind that they arent completed, only midway of being somewhat done :)

9. BoozeBeGood

BoozeBeGood Sr Member

This would make an awesome costume to recreate! I absolutely love this style of Robin. Very realistic....finally!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Trenta30

Trenta30 New Member

How are you going to make the shirt and belt?
    I believe that will be the hardest part

11. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Active Member

12. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Active Member

13. BobbyS95

BobbyS95 Well-Known Member

14. elvenisman2

elvenisman2 Member

Okay so far I have the shin guards almost done, one gaunlet done, the hooded cape, pants, gloves, working on the shirt which in the pic of all the pieces you can see the red in the back.
    OH! and forgot to mention that i have a pair o f old boots im gonna spray paint green like Robins
    my plan for the shirt is this..
    use stencils to first shape out each piece,
    cut out the stencils, trace them onto thin red foam and cut that out,
    make sure each piece fits right then paint it a deeper red,
    the mod podge over the paint to seal it and give it that shiny red look like the pics,
    then put it together add the R and then glue sleeves on it and thats it :)
    easier said then done..

as for the belt itll be pretty much the same technique.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  15. BobbyS95

16. elvenisman2

elvenisman2 Member

I used to watch backyard fx religiously lol Its one of the greates indie instructibles out there, well used to be :(

17. Trenta30

Trenta30 New Member

what did u make the shin guards out of? foam? and how did u do the detail?

18. elvenisman2

elvenisman2 Member

I used Foam Mats that i bought at walmart, just those regular ones you put on the ground ina workshop or something and carved them into two parts.

the first part was the outside design which was the bottom curve and then the two pieces sticking upwards that would lead to the knee.

the second was the backside where i made the middle ridge that stuck out and carved out the extra foam and on the sides had the "buckles" where the velcro will go.

then I heated the back with a lighter and bent it into shape then hot glued the pieces together then the parts that got un-bent from glueing I reheated and bent.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy a drimmel tool so I can sand down each edge and make it look not so crappy.

19. elvenisman2

elvenisman2 Member

just finished carving out the shirt, anyone have a good way of painting foam?

20. td2253

td2253 Active Member

Your vest looks awesome! I used Mod Podge to coat my foam armor before painting so that the paint doesn't get absorbed by the foam. It also leaves a nice smooth finish rather than a matte one. Some people use a base coat of spray on Plasti-Dip, then spray paint on top of that. Looking forward to seeing your Robin costume finished.

21. BobbyS95

How did the costume turn out?

Dave Porter likes this.
  22. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

23. elvenisman2

elvenisman2 Member

So I finished the costume on time but didnt get a chance to upload any pics or take any good ones so for right now this is all i have but still better than nothing :)

The belt i made took about 20 minutes and ended up breaking which you can see in the pic since its held up by tape and the duct tape in my hand lol but about an hour after this pic is when i painted the mask on and completed the costume.

24. TriggerAkaneiro

TriggerAkaneiro New Member

25. BobbyS95

Where did you get your cape from? I can't seem to find one

26. Donberto17

Donberto17 Active Member

Very Nice. I too am curious about your cape source.

27. ttownmaul520

ttownmaul520 Member

28. BobbyS95

bump anyone?

29. SawyerLockeJack

SawyerLockeJack New Member

I like the idea of the hood with the cape. I marked for that when I got the game.

30. Michaelsean

Michaelsean New Member

theres a bunch of capes if u google hooded cape or try amazon

31. danmaccymcleod

danmaccymcleod New Member

You did an awesome job on the foam man. Really good work.

32. elvenisman2

elvenisman2 Member

Havent been on in a while to post any updates but I traded the cape for a video game with one of my friends and he said he got it at an iparty.
    The phone chest piece is on my couch right now with a couble rips on it and i cant find my glue gun so i cant fix it but as soon as its found or i get a new one I'll post some better pics. :)
    any questions or anything feel free to ask

33. elvenisman2

elvenisman2 Member

34. legend23km

legend23km New Member

35. batmanbeyond96

batmanbeyond96 Member

What Brand is the Pants?

36. ChanceCrafts

ChanceCrafts Member

I'm about to start an Arkham City Robin... love what you guys did here. I picked up some floor tiles from Harbor Freight and can't wait to start carving now.

37. Vinchenzo96

Vinchenzo96 New Member

Awesome dude, it looks great:thumbsup Im busy getting my own arkham robin together:) Does anyone know where i can get boots like the games? I dont want to spend too much on them though..

38. Orionx42

Orionx42 New Member

I was thinking about doing my armor out of foam but I see a you are going for resin for your next one. What did you think of the foam when it was all said and done???