Arkham City Remote Controlled Batarang Replica

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Ushaan

First, I’d just like to say that I’ve been lurking on the forums here for a while now, but this is the first thread I’ve created. Everytime I check the RPF I’m inspired by what I see and just before the new year I discovered MattMunson’s Arkham Asylum/City Grapple Gun build and videos. I loved watching the build unfold and having just finished playing through Arkham City, I was itching to do make something from the game. The Batarang seemed like the most logical thing for me to build… I live in an apartment and a Dremel is my only power tool.

So, I decided to make my Batarang out of styrene and using the Dremel, lots of sanding, filing, primer and paint I was able to create this:

Which I think turned out pretty decent! I gave this one to my wife as a Christmas present. Good news is that she loves it! Bad news: I didn’t have one!

I started the process of making mine a couple weeks ago using the same technique I used on hers.

I cut out four pieces of styrene the same size, glued them together lightly and then drew the plan for one wing on the front. That will let me cut out all four of the wing pieces at the same time, both wings will be two pieces of styrene thick. The result is this:

I decided that instead of making a regular Batarang, I wanted mine to be the Remote Controlled Batarang from the game. It’s the same basic shape, but with a larger circle in the middle and a screen on the front and back of it. With that in mind, I cut out the circles using the same method as the wings. After working on the wings a bit and the middle part, we have this:

As for the screen itself, I used a cheap magnifying glass lens from the dollar store. It had a slight curve to it that I liked and was the perfect size for it. I created the screen image itself with Illustrator and had it printed.

You can just see the middle section there to the right. I used a piece of the magnifying glass to build up the middle part of it and then used wood filler to smooth out the edge. Here’s a pic of that.

After more work on the whole thing and a coat of paint, we have this:

Which brings me to where I’m at now. I’m using Rub n Buff to simulate the metal edges, and I’m happy with the results. I’ve never used it before this project.

Well, hope you’ve all liked it so far. I've been having fun building it and I’ll update this thread as I continue to work on it!

Thanks for looking!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Jawafive

Sr Member
I love the decal work! Another member and myself have been producing some AA/AC items lately so I love seeing this! Keep up the good work. Might have to get in touch with you about some decals when we do the Crytographic Sequencer.

-Matt

rensole

nice! I'm making it myself but i love your version :D:D seriously good work but next time try to make the hole's more oval other then that its dead on :D

also a bosch Mouse is great for making the blades on the side equal and smooth with still keeping it looking sharp :D

Ushaan

Matt, thanks! I would be happy to help, sounds like a fun project!

rensole, looking forward to seeing yours! I checked out the Mouse, and I think a detail sander would be a great tool to have. Thanks!

TommyGun

Hello and welcome to the RPF! :D

great first post :confused

hehe thanks for the welcome
you would know where to get the real measures of the batarang?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Batman forever

kalissuperman

i am like you, i have kind of been lurking around and have never posted before this. i have to say the idea with the lens...i never would have thought of that. A++ for creativity. i have been trying for years to do props and costumes on my own with little success. maybe this site is what was missing.

Kal

martcpl705

Love the decal on the batarang. Great looking prop even if I hate using the remote control batarang on the game

nomuse

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Man, its amazing how good a simple decal looks. Wonderful finish on everything -- looks very real.