Arkham city props and nightwing

rensole

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to this stuff and when i first came to this forum I was overwelmed to say the least.
I took a long hiatus from prop making and so forth to get better at working with clay and other mediums.

But seeing i want to make a body suit for the Animecon 2012 (may 20th) i thought ask the rpf.
I want to make a suit out of clay just like someone did in this thread: http://www.therpf.com/f24/nightwing-costume-sculpture-24305/

Also I'm going to make as many props from arkham city as i can.
if all go's well, All the batman props and also the robin nightwing and catwomans props.

But were do i start?
Do i buy a simple manequin ? and if I'm done with claying then what? how do i go on ?
Again thanks in forward for the help guys.

(and sorry if this is in the wrong thread or if my spelling is off)

Last edited:
If you buy a mannequin, make sure it's your size. You don't have to have one to build a costume, especially if money's tight.

What have you done so far on the costume?

hey indyfan,

At this point i just checked allot of stuff on how the suit looks
as for the manequin, i was thinking of using plaster to make a mold of my own body then filling that with... something?

At this point i dont have a lot of knowlidge on how to make it thats why im here.
i have allot of sculpting experiance but thats it at this point.

I'm also working on the grapple gun (molding this week!). We have part of the cryptographic sequencer done as well and it should be ready late January/early Feb if all goes well.

-Matt

hey matt, sweet keep me posted :D

i had some free time and made a template of the batarang, let me know what you guys think ok :D
everything is acording to scale and i will atempt to make one of these in the next week ^^

check the nightwing thread, I posted some more photos of that finished nightwing to help inspire you to build the nightwing you've always wanted

Great work brother! Remember, if you are looking for any HOW TO's, be sure to use the SEARCH function. There are a lot of very very helpful tutorials around here on casting and other important prop making info-mercial-type-things. :lol

sweet :D i am currently looking for a casting tutorial like if i make a cast of my body, then add clay to the cast (shape of an armor) and what if i want to make the cast of the armor so it fits on my body a 100% ?

He's usually pretty busy, but if you can find Reevz, he is pretty amazing at.....well, everything actually. Maybe he can chime in and offer you a suggestion or two.

If not, just wait. Someone will know what to tell you!

Shawn's great at the suit stuff. He normally floats around the BOTB or the Cave much more than here.

I didn't read through the whole thread. What exactly is it your trying to make here, the whole suit or just gauntlets or something? I may be able to point you in the right direction.

I'm trying to make both ^^
but due to lack of experiance i'm making some small stuff first to get the feel of things and get experiance before moving on to the bigger stuff.

At this point im trying to figure out how to get clay to stick to plaster.

edit: added bondo to the plaster so it will be stronger then it was hopefully the clay will stick to that.

Last edited:
and the batarang is done ^^
its angled sanded grinded bondo'd then sanded down again :p
going to buy some smooth on stuff for molding and casting it next week =D

any tips or pointers or anything ?

Not bad, if I may ask though, if your going to mold it, why did you not just make one half of this thing SUPER clean and then run two pieces out of your mold so they're identical?

And the plaster cast didn't need bondo on it... It won't make it too much stronger either... If you want to strengthen it, add more plaster on the back side (I don't know what core you've made...) You have to let it fully dry out before clay will stick at all. Just because it's solid, doesn't mean it's dry. After a few days you can hit your plaster with a coat of crystal clear acrylic spray and the clay should stick. Depends on what kind of clay your using...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back