Aries 1B studio model found intact

The landing leg shrouds are, for the most part, gone. There's one that seems intact-ish (maybe missing parts), and another that is just a fragment. The cracked one gave glues to its origin - heat formed acrylic. I found no evidence of styrene being used on this model. My past experience with vacformed styrene is that the thinner you make it (stretch it), the more fragile it gets over time. The elastomers that make the material bend change with heat, it gets more brittle and 40 years later, it flakes off. Also, gluing down vacformed styrene may lead to crazing in the paint and warpage as the shrink rates for the various materials is different (especially under hot lights). I think because this thing was made to be bullet proof and not on the cheap, it has survived as well as it has.

Gene

Well acrylic can have issues over time but those are mostly with changeing color and getting less clear but this being a painted model that should not be much of an issue. Those problems are also mostly caused by UV. I am glad to hear it it is in pretty good shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
So massive that the landing gear couldn't hold the model and needed the help of that massive rod to hold it up...As for the amount of crud into the creases and details, this model wasn't kept under a glass case for sure:behave. Greeblies were mostly Airfix, UPC, Monogram and the likes (on the table is a UPC fire ladder and in one of Gene's pic, the engine has 4 windows coming from a train set building...German brand if my memory serves me well).
Unbelievable find!!

I see some kit parts from Vollmer in the engine area. They are from some industrial plant.

thanks for the info gene,

whats is the feeling amongst us in terms of restore it to its former glory or just stabilize it as is?

my own opinion is leave it as is with some minor repairs such as sticking on the fallen off parts and cleaning off the "lunar" dust etc.

-z

My quasi-professional opinion is that the first thing that needs to be done to it is a thorough cleaning. Not Windex & scrub brushes, but a soft brush to get rid of most of the loose dirt and a damp rag to bring off the dirt that is on the surface. That process will allow you to see exactly what condition it is in - specifically, are there any structural issues that need to be address to make sure the model doesn't deteriorate further. (Caveat, my initial hour with the model led me to believe it is in good shape, and most of the issues with its appearance will be address in the cleaning.) The landing gear, I suspect, are just "there" and can offer no real support. So, some sort of support system needs to be rigged. If the Aries is anything like the Dropship from Aliens, the landing gear were never really designed to bear the full weight of the model. Flex - yes, but the model mount was bearing almost the full load. There was a box of misc parts that have fallen off. Since those leave shadows, you can do some research to see where they came from. That's pretty benign. But remaking the shrouds for the landing gears, remaking parts that are no longer there, or repainting the sections that have had the paint peel off - that gets more into a restoration than a conservation. Ultimately, its the the call of the new owner and what they want to do. I think the model can be made presentable without major surgery or a repaint. But getting it back into "as filmed" appearances would not require a full overhaul that changes the character of the piece as it stands now (under all that dirt).

Gene

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG Well, another bunch of pics of the original model. As far as I can see, the landing gear is pretty much complete. Some cabling is missing but seeing the metal parts and the details it's the same model for sure.
Vollmer, yes, that's it...thanks Cylon:) Now that most of the innards are gone, maybe a restored landing gear could bear the weight?...we shall see;)

I'm still pinching myself. Never in my life did I expect to see an actual hero model from the film. I want this to find a good home as well, and unfortunately I never made the fortune necessary to buy it myself (yes, I think I'd be a good home:)). I know someone who has however; and collects, takes care of, and displays sci-fi memorabilia for the public. I've contacted the staff for Paul Allen, and I hope he finds this interesting.

I hope some museum realizes the importance of this Aries model and buys it - but DISPLAYS it as well. What a find. And, BTW - what a great thread. Lovely Vimeo piece on Kubrick as well.

What's the link for the auction? Wanna watch!
Edit: nevermind,found it. I think it's gonna go for a ton! Bidding will start at 3k.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back