Aries 1B studio model found intact

I remember the Museum in Washington and was among the many people who were excited about the 2001 collection being there.

Sad that it never happened

Although I have mixed feelings about the film (2001), I have always loved the design of this model. I can't believe it has resurfaced. I hope it goes to a good home or a museum.

035.JPG036.JPG Sorry about the quality of the pics. TFS Karl and Gene for posting the pics. Looks genuine to me compared to the pics from the Kubrick book by Taschen. This model should be restored and exposed in a museum.

035.JPG 036.JPG TFS Karl and Gene for posting the pics. Looks genuine to me compared to the pics from the Kubrick book by Taschen. This model should be restored and exposed in a museum. As for keeping "everything", obviously Mr. Kubrick didn't keep the models. I can understand his need to keep pictures/drawings/story-boards/scripts, etc...I shows in the big Taschen book: very thin showing model pics:angry

always enjoyed the part in the movie when it touches down, the spring in the feet made all the difference

So massive that the landing gear couldn't hold the model and needed the help of that massive rod to hold it up...As for the amount of crud into the creases and details, this model wasn't kept under a glass case for sure:behave. Greeblies were mostly Airfix, UPC, Monogram and the likes (on the table is a UPC fire ladder and in one of Gene's pic, the engine has 4 windows coming from a train set building...German brand if my memory serves me well).
Unbelievable find!!

Last edited:
Amazing discovery. To me this is like when Deckard's blaster from Blade Runner surfaced years ago. A holy grail of SS models for sure. Thank you so much for sharing all these photos in the forum.

A couple of question I hope you don't mind me asking. What seems to be the color of the miniature? I know the model is quite dirty but looks like a very light warm grey to me. What is that kind of sreentone dots some panels have? Is that texture or painted tiny light gray dots.

Spinner44, the "dots" are either thin sheets of plastic or brass (as you can see in the pics, the window sills are made out of a thin brass grill design)...or something else. I hope somebody will chime in with the right answer:)

The metal foils they used for the panels had a subtle texture to them. Some of that was obliterated with paint. But the dirt has gotten into the recessed areas and shows up as dots. The metal foil under the passenger windows has a much heavier embossing pattern. Almost looks like the material from a light diffuser (like what they used on the Darth Vader TIE Fighter).

Thanks for that Gene...I saw that on the auction pics, they placed the landing gear cover (one of the 4 surviving ones attached to the side and closing with the folding of each feet:rolleyes)
I'll try to take pics of the underside of the model in its pristine state later today.

Thank you joberg and GKvfx. It looked indeed like some kind of textured sheet. Its easier to tell in the windows, as the pattern is heavier and as paint is removed you can tell is metal sheet. I wonder why they used this textured sheed into the body too as it would seem easier yo to vacuform them...

From what I have observed it's only the thinnest plates the ones that have this texture.

Well I hope it goes to a home where it will be preserved and not destroyed by a bad resteration. We have seen that can happen even when a museum is in charge of handeling that. Looking at the photos Gene posted the things that I would focous on if it was in my hands would be to stabilize the metal parts remove the rust and stop more form happening. It looks to be mostly in areas were the paint has come off which is good in some ways. So long as it does not creep to far back under the paint that should not be too hard. I know a lot of people here on the boards like to use original issue model kits. for their replicas for me this is not so big an issue for replicas as it would be for a resteration. If I could see that the model was missing say a ladder and that ladder came from a tank kit of the time I woud want to find that vintage kit part for the replacement, but I would also mark it in some was as a replacment part so as not confuse future restorers. That is one of the big problems with the original Enterprise right now. I do not envy the person who gets this job when it is sold. They will have thousands of people looking over thier shoulders just looking for things to criticize them for. No mater how conscientious they might be.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back