Aries-1B by Moebius

Has anyone mentioned the diameter of the sphere.
I have AJA's Aries and was hoping the Moebius interior might fit.

Well, that’s interesting. I compared those photos to pictures of the real model, and they’re surprisingly close. There are quite a few random areas where the panels are wrong, where greeblies are simplified and missing detail, and so on. But the areas I looked at weren’t bad. Compared to the awful mistakes all over the EVA pod, this is a real improvement! I think having access to photos of the real model must have made a real difference.

The main thing I noticed was it looks like it was produced at the same Chinese factory as the pod, and there’s a lot of similar issues. Namely soft lines, really pronounced weird angles to panel edges (massive amounts of draft have been added for simplified production, so raised panel edges are angled instead of being 90 degrees to the surface of the sphere, especially towards the edges) and so on.

The decision to make the interior ceiling solid with recesses for the lighting panels, plus transparent lamp pieces to be glued into the recesses, is really strange though. Why not make holes into the ceiling for frosted clear pieces? Also the bottom rocket cones in clear is another bizarre decision when they should be solid with deeper holes. Oh well. A mystery.

I don’t think I’ll be getting this one, since I have enough large unbuilt models and nowhere to put them. But this one isn’t bad. I might be more likely to get the spaceplane now, though, even though they clearly based some of the details on the spaceplane after fan replicas, not the real thing…

Last edited:
The decision to make the interior ceiling solid with recesses for the lighting panels, plus transparent lamp pieces to be glued into the recesses, is really strange though. Why not make holes into the ceiling for frosted clear pieces?
I'm not sure what you are referencing here.

When it comes to the passenger area ceiling, there are holes in the ceiling for the clear pieces:
524.JPG

The half circle on the left (above) is the topside of the ceiling. As you'll note there are 'holes' across the entire thing, with slight recesses around each hole for the clear pieces to rest on.

The half circle on the left (below) is the underside of the floor. It has no "holes" but it does have 'recesses' which are the raised parts of the floor for the chairs. Perhaps you mistook those for the ceiling? If not, then I'm unclear what you are talking about.
525.JPG

Beneath these floor pieces, you can see a hint of the actual ceiling on the ceiling pieces. And you can see a couple of the "holes" for the lights here as well.

Last edited:
Aha! Ignore my stupid remark, and my apologies to Moebius - for this, at least. :) I was flipping through the photos and had looked at the 3D test print as well as the final product.

Yes, the ceiling lights are done exactly the way you'd reasonably expect!

Last edited:
I just got my “Please pay for your preorder” email from CultTVMan. Shipping to the U.K. is going to take a while though. No problem. I’ve been waiting since 1970 for this one!

Does anyone know any stores in the U.K. that are getting this? I might buy a second one.

I just got my “Please pay for your preorder” email from CultTVMan. Shipping to the U.K. is going to take a while though. No problem. I’ve been waiting since 1970 for this one!

Does anyone know any stores in the U.K. that are getting this? I might buy a second one.
Waiting since 1970?

I know exactly what you mean by that.

I thought i might put up a photo of my model i built 13 years ago. Here it is compared to the restored filming miniature in the AMPAS museum.
I did my best to photograph it at the same angle the museum staff took the picture.
3rd one is a comparison to a scene from the movie.....

Attachments

• AriesComparison2.jpg
    AriesComparison2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 193
  • AriesComparison1.jpg
    AriesComparison1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 181
  • AriesComparison3.jpg
    AriesComparison3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 174
Last edited:
L.A. is too far from where I live; I'll probably never see the original. I'm wondering if Gene, or others have seen the restored model.
What bugs me is the window frames they added to the model. I don't remember seeing those on the original one:unsure:

Edit: sorry, I stand corrected; there are window frames:oops::whistle:

Last edited:
If you mean Gene Kozicki yes, he has; we all went to see the Aries before it was put up for auction and have been to the Academy museum to see the restoration; it's quite beautiful.

If you mean Gene Kozicki yes, he has; we all went to see the Aries before it was put up for auction and have been to the Academy museum to see the restoration; it's quite beautiful.
Do you know if there's pics of the restoration somewhere?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back