Aries-1B by Moebius

Since the merchants don't seem to have a clue, I thought I might as well take a long shot and send an email to Moebius themselves, asking if they had even a *target* time frame for the release - or if production had fallen so far behind (because of world events) that they weren't even sure when the Aries might be released. I did that about three hours ago, not even really expecting to get a reply. Instead, Erik Solie at Moebius Models replied in just a couple hours (on a Saturday!).

He was very kind and stated:
"Production has been done, and it's now in a loop of getting a shipping container, getting space booked on a ship, and then when it finally gets here, the game of chance that unloading at Long Beach has become! 'As soon as possible' is the most honest answer I can give you. But it's likely to be late March before we actually can put hands on it."
So at least now we know the production IS finished, and we *might* be getting it in a couple months or so.

In my thank you to Erik, I told him (among other things):
"I'll pass your news onto the RPF. I'm certain it will be met with enthusiasm. And, if Moebius chose to share (anywhere) images of the finished item, I'm sure that would only increase that enthusiasm. ;) "

So if we are lucky, and Erik or the powers that be at Moebius are amenable, then we *might* see some new pics of the final product sometime soon too. :)

Last edited:
“Shady dealing“ is in the eye of the beholde; more likely MMM is working with their own limited information as Moebius is regarding any set-in-stone availability date. My understanding is these kits are awaiting shipping in China right now so until they actually leave the docks it’s out of everyone’s control. Right now March seems like a reasonable estimate but it’s equally possible they could sit at the docks for another month.

Some photos were posted on a Facebook 2001 modellers page yesterday, by Rob McFarlane, with the accompanying text:

"Here are a couple more shots of the forthcoming Aries moon shuttle from Moebius Models. Owing to supply chain issues, the kits are currently sitting on a dock in China -- but I'm told they'll soon be making their way to a hobby vendor near us. The mockup shown is a factory test shot, so minor surface irregularities will be absent on the finished kit. No word on price yet. The passenger cabin, flight deck, and retractable landing gear are included."

I hope I'm not committing a faux pas, or treading on anybody's toes sharing this, thought you would like to know!

1643569190183.png

1643569216687.png

1643569249112.png
1643569272339.png

1643569319291.png

Some photos were posted on a Facebook 2001 modellers page yesterday, by Rob McFarlane, with the accompanying text:

"Here are a couple more shots of the forthcoming Aries moon shuttle from Moebius Models. Owing to supply chain issues, the kits are currently sitting on a dock in China -- but I'm told they'll soon be making their way to a hobby vendor near us. The mockup shown is a factory test shot, so minor surface irregularities will be absent on the finished kit. No word on price yet. The passenger cabin, flight deck, and retractable landing gear are included."
Thanks for sharing these new photos. They are very nice to see. That said, I wish someone had images of the finished model. But it is good to learn that the previously noted "surface irregularities" have supposedly been eliminated from the production models. (Hopefully the mirroring of the flight controllers in the cockpit was also corrected before the ship went into production - though that by itself should be easy enough to fix if not.)

It is interesting to note that Rob says there is "no word on price yet" given the uniformity of price quotes from merchants. Might be a good reason to place a pre-order, just in case the price actually ends up being higher than originally anticipated.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing these new photos. They are very nice to see. That said, I wish someone had images of the finished model. But it is good to learn that the previously noted "surface irregularities" have supposedly been eliminated from the production models. (Hopefully the lack of mirroring of the flight controllers in the cockpit was also corrected before the ship went into production - though that by itself should be easy enough to fix if not.)

It is interesting to note that Rob says there is "no word on price yet" given the uniformity of price quotes from merchants. Might be a good reason to place a pre-order, just in case the price actually ends up being higher than originally anticipated.
I preordered mine on CultTVMan as soon as it was announced, as they have not let me down in the past, but as I'm in the UK, and, er, we're currently at the mercy of outside forces, all I'm worried about is shipping and added import taxes!

“Shady dealing“ is in the eye of the beholde; more likely MMM is working with their own limited information as Moebius is regarding any set-in-stone availability date. My understanding is these kits are awaiting shipping in China right now so until they actually leave the docks it’s out of everyone’s control. Right now March seems like a reasonable estimate but it’s equally possible they could sit at the docks for another month.
"Shady dealing" is indeed in the eye of the beholder. And this beholder has not found other merchants to be providing a very specific date, as Monsters in Motion has repeatedly been doing. In fact, most have not provided even a specific month (I did see one that had simply a July "anticipated" release date). IF other merchants provided any time frame at all (which many did not), it was usually stated as 1st Quarter (or in some cases 2nd Quarter) 2022. MiM is the only site I've found that not only repeatedly posts a specific date, but also simply pushes that date by one month each month, which it has apparently been doing so for months - all without any indication that they have repeatedly and arbitrarily picked that same date each month for months.

That is not "reasonable" behavior.

That is, as I previously stated, behavior specifically designed "to encourage pre-orders by making it SEEM as if a release is imminent" - a release of which MiM indicates it has *very* SPECIFIC knowledge of, due to their naming of a very SPECIFIC day of release. In other words, by giving a very specific date, MiM are representing themselves as having very SPECIFIC knowledge - knowledge they, in fact, do not possess.

I don't know about any other "beholder", but this beholder views making up 'facts', so as to gin up business, to be very "shady".

Last edited:
^^
Yep, it seems that this kind of strategy is getting some traction lately. Especially in the toy/collectible business:(
Seems to me, looking at the pics (TFS with us the DOCTOR) that it seems a fairly accurate kit. I'm eager to get the Orion as well as the mini-Orion. Will fit nicely into my SS Space Station Docking Bay(y)

Seems to me, looking at the pics (TFS with us the DOCTOR) that it seems a fairly accurate kit.
I suspect I will be fairly pleased with it. What I'm interested in learning is if it comes with any figures. And I am curious to see what sort of lighting kits will be released by/for the community afterwards. (In other words, I probably won't be building it immediately.)

I suspect I will be fairly pleased with it. What I'm interested in learning is if it comes with any figures. And I am curious to see what sort of lighting kits will be released by/for the community afterwards. (In other words, I probably won't be building it immediately.)
Right...I'm sure someone will do a EVAPod after market detailed lighting kit. I'm sure it'll be difficult to have T.V. screens at that scale:p
I'm also going to replace some of the greeblies with more accurate pieces/details using parts from watches and computer innards;)

I certainly echo Scudman's sentiments and appreciate the additional pics. I have been waiting for this kit for quite some time so another month or two is not going to make a difference. MIM's manipulation of the anticipated shipping dates comes as no surprise and the intention behind it should be pretty clear. Sure, it's going to be pricey but the size and level of detail I believe will be worth it. Besides, it would not be as much fun to build if you could not add enhancements or refinements. etc. if needed.

Hoping that the lighting panels in the ceiling are clear, or at least separate parts, so they could be replaced with clear or opaque acrylic....

Last edited:
Since I'd not looked in a while, I just popped over to Monsters in Motion site. Turns out they have some new photos. And it seems they've switched their ordering from "Pre-Order" to "Order" as if the Aries 1B is in stock.

184MB203_AriesInStock_02.jpg
184MB203_AriesInStock_01.jpg

184MB203_AriesInStock_03.jpg

184MB203_AriesInStock_04.jpg

184MB203_AriesInStock_05.jpg

184MB203_AriesInStock_06.jpg

Update: Did a bit of a websearch. Turns out MoM sent out one of their email updates on Feb 24 with the following information:

NOW SHIPPING!
OUR PRICE $214.99
RETAIL PRICE $250
2001: A Space Odyssey Aries-1B Lunar Carrier 1/48 Scale Model Kit by Moebius

IT'S FINALLY HERE! YAY!

The Aries 1B is a fictional spacecraft seen in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey. It is a spherical lunar lander built for providing regular passenger commuting between Earth's orbit and the Moon, just as the Orion III spaceplane (also operated by Pan Am) provided for travel between the Earth and Space Station V

CHECK OUR WEB SITE FOR ANNOUNCMENTS REGARDING A FORTHCOMING LIGHT KIT, PHOTOETCH DETAIL KIT AND ACCESSORY KIT

The Aries 1B arrived a couple days ago now. And, as per hinted 'request' (;)), I took some photos for an 'official' "unboxing". I've never done an unboxing before, so you'll have to forgive my amateurism.

First off, the package itself is pretty hefty. According to the shipping information, it weighs in at about 7lbs. And Monsters in Motion (MiM) did a decent job of protecting the kit and its box:
508.JPG

You'll note that they added an interior insert (from the original Moebius shipping boxes) around the interior frame to secure the kit box from rattling around inside MiM's shipping box:
509.JPG

The dimensions of the kit box itself are 18"x11"x7"
(The kit did come plastic wrapped - I just removed it and checked the contents before doing this 'unboxing'):
6000.jpg

When you first open the kit box, you'll immediately notice the unsealed and unattached "Upper Dome":
510.JPG

Here are some details of the dome's exterior and interior:
512.JPG

513.JPG

514.JPG

515.JPG

Beneath the Upper Dome, also unsealed and unattached, are the four "Engine Bases":
516.JPG

It would seem they were originally molded with the other engine parts etc, then removed so the packaging would be much more compact (this is a very snugly packed kit - when I went to put all the pieces back in the box, I had to recall exactly how they were originally all stacked so everything would fit back together again. There is hardly any wasted space inside the kit box):
552.JPG

The third things beneath the Upper Dome are the packaged "Body Sides":
523.JPG

There are four in all, each with differing details (ie they are not merely duplicated shapes):
518.JPG

519.JPG

521.JPG

It would seem they were moulded in pairs, then one side roughly clipped off. The clipped pieces are all pretty thick so it appears one will need to really do some work to remove them without causing damage to the model pieces themselves:
522.JPG

(I would note that the dual indentations that ran around near the top of this part of the assembled prototype are nowhere to be found on this model.)

Next we get into the larger packed pieces.

First in is the package of the "Engine Plate Assembly", the "Floor Assembly" and the "Interior Ceiling Assembly":
524.JPG

525.JPG

Nestled below them is a package of some of the interior fiddly bits:
526.JPG

527.JPG

Thirdly, there is a package containing all the clear pieces (note: one of the "Nozzle Clusters" came loose in the package):
528.JPG

Finally, there is the package of engine and landing gear parts:
529.JPG

At the bottom of the box is a small sheet of decals:
548.JPG

Held up to a light, these are some of the details one can make out (don't want to open the packaging just yet, sorry):
550.JPG

Also at the bottom is a nice, magazine-style booklet of directions:
531.JPG

532.JPG

533.JPG

534.JPG

535.JPG

536.JPG

537.JPG

538.JPG

539.JPG

540.JPG

541.JPG

And that is the entire content of the Moebius Aries 1B kit box.

You'll note that the kit contains no figures or lights. However, as I previously noted, MiM indicated there will be a "light kit, photoetch detail kit and accessory kit". So I am interested in seeing what those will add to this model overall.

Also, I will be interested in discovering an easy way of displaying this in 'flight' mode rather than on its landing gear. Hopefully someone will come up with one.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back