Aries-1B by Moebius

joberg

Legendary Member
Anybody knows other details on that baby by Moebius? I know it's pre-order and 14"X 14".

184MB203_AriesFinal_02.jpg

That does look like a beautiful and substantial kit. :) As some of us know, set-up and initial tooling cost for injection moulding is hideously expensive (many tens of thousands of dollars) and if you can’t predict sales, you’d want to be sure of a good return.

I do have a concern about the two horizontal bands (slight indents) running around the whole shell, just below the windows. I don’t think it’s a video/camera issue.

I'm wondering how accurate is the whole model :unsure: The paneling/details on the top seems off. Quite difficult to see with the pics available.
I don't want to spend $200 and transform some of the details to make it accurate.

And in typical Moebius fashion, details will be lacking where it counts and you'll have to shell out almost as much as you did for the model on the inevitable detail kit(s) to make a decent replica. Like most every other Moebius kit I've looked or had the poor judgement to buy.
Very Hard pass.

And in typical Moebius fashion, details will be lacking where it counts and you'll have to shell out almost as much as you did for the model on the inevitable detail kit(s) to make a decent replica. Like most every other Moebius kit I've looked or had the poor judgement to buy.
Very Hard pass.
I thought that their EVAPod was pretty decent;)

I thought that their EVAPod was pretty decent;)

I have to admit I was pretty disappointed by their EVA pod. It looked good initially, but close examination revealed numerous errors and serious corner-cutting. The majority of the changes were made to make the thing cheaper to produce, but there were also a large number of details they simply got wrong.

Moebius Models’ 2001: a Space Odyssey EVA Pod: Review - The Age of Plastic

It does make me concerned that their Aries and Orion kits will have similar problems.

So. If your goal is to make a model that you can photograph and it looks like a scaled-down movie miniature, which is something you *can* do with many Bandai kits, then I fear these new Moebius kits will not fit the bill. If, however, you're willing to put in a crapton of work and buy a lot of add-on details, then they may be okay. Or if you simply want a great big plastic model that looks okay to those unfamiliar with the movie miniatures, then that's fine too obviously.

$225 is a lot for a kit, but I happily spent close to $400 on the Bandai PF Falcon and never regretted it. For the money, this looks like you get a LOT of kit, including interiors. It's practically the size of a basketball! Would it be great if every panel line was accurate? Sure. A fair argument could (and will) be made that it should be completely accurate for the money. It's also big enough, though, that making alterations could actually be fun. I mean, most of us can't help ourselves from doing some hacking here and there anyway. For me, the question is whether it is too big. I want an Aries, but I also know that Moebius may inevitably release a smaller scale version (probably 1:350) just like it did with the Discovery. Maybe they won't (they don't seem interested in a scaled-down EVA pod) but I have limited display space. The big kit is REALLY tempting though.

If mods to be done, we have now, thanks to our dedicated RPF friends who took measurements/pics of the original, the details needed to make it accurate;)(y)

Any updated news on the release date for this puppy?

Also, have there been posted anywhere good photos/details of the original Studio model of the Aries 1b, now on display in LA at the new Motion Picture museum?

Any updated news on the release date for this puppy?

Also, have there been posted anywhere good photos/details of the original Studio model of the Aries 1b, now on display in LA at the new Motion Picture museum?
The Monsters in Motion website shows a shipping date of February 5th 2022, which is right around the corner. I found some excellent photos of the original filming miniature on Pinterest.

Attachments

• 9CF27C36-9432-4E8A-8C20-64A49080EDD0.jpeg
    9CF27C36-9432-4E8A-8C20-64A49080EDD0.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 323
  • 63043CE6-6212-4808-B812-0A1FA915FD55.jpeg
    63043CE6-6212-4808-B812-0A1FA915FD55.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 531
  • 47F02894-695A-4935-8ED4-5C41CE0BDF43.jpeg
    47F02894-695A-4935-8ED4-5C41CE0BDF43.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 260
The Monsters in Motion website shows a shipping date of February 5th 2022, which is right around the corner. I found some excellent photos of the original filming miniature on Pinterest.
I've definitely seen those and more of the studio model before it was refurbished by the Museum. And they will certainly be somewhat helpful when making the model. That said, the person who auctioned the model pointed out that some of the details seen on the model, when compared to studio/film photos, are not the same. As the 'experts' who reviewed the model before its sale stated, this indicates that work was done on the model after the filming, to likely replace things that might have been lost, damaged, or destroyed.

That's why I was hoping for pictures from the display itself, so we can see the 'restored' condition, not the 'stored in a corner' condition.

As to the shipping date on Monsters in Motion, my understanding is that date has changed repeatedly as the model continues to pass prior release dates - so I was hoping for something reported from Moebius or the like, which would give *their* current estimates of their model's release. MiM just seem to be moving the date ahead each month or so, rather than going by data actually provided *by* Moebius.

Last edited:
I've definitely seen those and more of the studio model before it was refurbished by the Museum. And they will certainly be somewhat helpful when making the model. That said, the person who auctioned the model pointed out that some of the details seen on the model, when compared to studio/film photos, are not the same. As the 'experts' who reviewed the model before its sale stated, this indicates that work was done on the model after the filming, to likely replace things that might have been lost, damaged, or destroyed.

That's why I was hoping for pictures from the display itself, so we can see the 'restored' condition, not the 'stored in a corner' condition.

As to the shipping date on Monsters in Motion, my understanding is that date has changed repeatedly as the model continues to pass prior release dates - so I was hoping for something reported from Moebius or the like, which would give *their* current estimates of their model's release. MiM just seem to be moving the date ahead each month or so, rather than going by data actually provided *by* Moebius.
I think that you're partially right blspro about the greeblies that were replaced on the model. It seems to me (and I could be wrong;)) that many of those fragile greeblies were damaged after S.K. gave it to that science teacher. Some of those details could be easily broken (specially greeblies with protruding pieces) and, over time, simply fell off of the model (aging of the glue is one of the reason). Storage, humidity/dryness, are also contributing factors as you may know yourself.
I haven't seen the restored model, so I don't know how accurate the restorers were in finding/repairing the missing parts.

The Monsters in Motion website shows a shipping date of February 5th 2022, which is right around the corner.
BLSPRO said:

I was right. It's a week before Feb 5th, and Monsters in Motion has now quietly shifted the supposed 'release date' to March 5th. In other words, they have NO clue as to the release date. They're just randomly picking a date, so as to encourage pre-orders by making it SEEM as if a release is imminent.

Talk about shady dealing.

This is why I was interested in knowing if Moebius itself (or the like) had announced any specific release date or target. It just doesn't seem that other sources of info are trustworthy.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back