Are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a......Lamborghini?

JediMichael

Master Member
I was just thinking here, something I've maybe partly shared, but probably not the whole story.
Going back to 1993, a pretty rough year for me. Family had just moved, and was building a new house, so would be moving again soon. Also changed churches, and I finished 5th grade so would be soon going to 6th grade, a new school. I autistic self doesn't like change, so that was all really hard....but, I find a new love. Growing up with Star Wars and already loving that, when it came to Back to the Future, I'd only seen bits and parts. Maybe just the first. Can't really remember.
I before the first move, early 1993, we watched all 3 BTTF movies together. That set me on a huge BTTF deal.
I was 11 turning 12 later in August.
By the early summer sometime, we were now in the rental house. Back then, I liked to find any electronics people had thrown out, take it and then take apart to see what was inside. Never could get it back together.
At some point around this time, I'd taken apart a radio, and also realized my brother had a little toy car from Back to the Future...because the door went up...right?
I decided, I was going to turn it into the movie car.
It was yellow, but my Mom had some blueish paint. Looking through the radio parts and pausing the movie's VHS tape, I realized I had enough parts to actually make it work. Using a hot glue gun, (which I'm surprised my Mom let me even use), I made what you see below.
I at some point, not sure though, I realized my toy Delorean model, was NOT a Delorean but a Lamborghini.
Still, its an interesting version of the car and technically my first ever attempt at a type of kitbashing....before I even knew what the word meant.
Here now at the end of March, we are coming up to this being 30 years ago I made this, which is just crazy to think..... You can see, its dirty, grungy, parts of the yellow paint is showing through the blue. The windshield is cracked. But for me, its history, and as Obi-Wan said, "You've taken your first step into a larger world."

20230327_055247.jpg

20230327_055348.jpg

20230327_055319.jpg

20230327_055538.jpg

20230327_055443.jpg

So today, it hangs out with all the other "actual" Delorean models I've collected over the years. Thanks for looking at this crazy last 30 years of time.
20230327_055640.jpg

Very nice collection!
Thanks. I actually would like to get the BTTF 1:18th from the first movie, with lightening rod part as well as the one that sits on the train tracks ....but I've not been able to find them. Early to mid 2000s, everywhere, just never had the money....
Three years ago I found a place supposedly selling the first movie car for around $100, so I went ahead and bought it.....but after 3 months, I get a little metal ring in the mail. Had to go to the bank and dispute it, which I won and got my money back, which took forever....and I still have the ring....somewhere, but who cares, its not a Delorean.

If anyone knows of any good and not overly expensive place to still buy the Sunstar 1:18 DeLorean from, I still want to finish the collection someday.
Also lost the left mirror on the flying version, as its my oldest one and has been through a lot.

Thanks. I actually would like to get the BTTF 1:18th from the first movie, with lightening rod part as well as the one that sits on the train tracks ....but I've not been able to find them. Early to mid 2000s, everywhere, just never had the money....
Three years ago I found a place supposedly selling the first movie car for around $100, so I went ahead and bought it.....but after 3 months, I get a little metal ring in the mail. Had to go to the bank and dispute it, which I won and got my money back, which took forever....and I still have the ring....somewhere, but who cares, its not a Delorean.

If anyone knows of any good and not overly expensive place to still buy the Sunstar 1:18 DeLorean from, I still want to finish the collection someday.
Also lost the left mirror on the flying version, as its my oldest one and has been through a lot.
Yikes - mild horror story there!

You may not like hearing me say this - I have both the original, and the rail car, but can't let them go!

Yikes - mild horror story there!

You may not like hearing me say this - I have both the original, and the rail car, but can't let them go!
I think I remember seeing them in pics...but nah, wouldn't expect anyone to depart with something like that. Just hopefully can find a company, or at least person willing to sell for a reasonable price.
Shoot myself for not buying all those years ago when I had the chance....when they were like $20.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back