Are these AT-STs the same?

kh39

Sr Member
I'm going to work on the bandai AT-ST soon. So I would like to ask this question to AT-ST experts.
Maybe ILM used the same AT-ST, but repaint it on the front to differentiate them. Am I right?
at-st1.jpg

There were several AT-STs made. I'm not an AT-ST expert but I do know that from watching the behind the scenes stuff.

Jedi Dade

So are you saying the exhibition model matches the Chewbacca walker from the back but not the front?

There only were two go-motion miniatures made.
One is known as the "Asian AT-ST" because it was displayed first in Asia (then in South America like in Brazil) and the "Euro AT-ST" which was touring in Europe for several years.

The one in your pics is the Euro AT-ST, the blast mark was added for some shots (it was a non-permanent blast mark).

Thanks for the info Julien. I didn't know that there are two different AT-STs touring the world. Can you explain the characteristics of each AT-ST for me?
I have a lot of pictures taken in Brazil(probably). The AT-ST in the pictures has the same dirt on the back like the chewbacca's one.

Thanks for the info Julien. I didn't know that there are two different AT-STs touring the world. Can you explain the characteristics of each AT-ST for me?
I have a lot of pictures taken in Brazil(probably). The AT-ST in the pictures has the same dirt on the back like the chewbacca's one.

Yes you are right, sorry for the confusion they are not the same in the pics.

The euro AT-ST was used for front shot while the Asian was used for back shots.
The back of the euro ATST is a raw casting while the Asian has more details. The euro ATST has the rear "232 fender" part (which is was not 232 parts on the ilm models but scratchbuilt, the bandai is wrong here I think they took the nice-n as ref which uses 232 parts, this is wrong) cut to allow clearance for the mount. The Asian was mounted from the side and the front.
The euro ATST has extra kitparts on the underside of the head while the Asian has a raw castings.

Casting details are mounted differently on the legs from a version to another as well as the flakvierling 38 parts.
There are also some other small differences in the way they were assembled and detailed (side guns, piping under the head etc...)

Wow! A lot of great info! I recognized the two types of them. Now, let me get that straight because I still don't know what's what.
One of them has a wooden stand and "M-25" written on it and the other has a black stand and a red word "RATION" is seen in the cockpit. I think "M-25" is the Euro version and the black stand is the Asian version right?
To build the chewbacca version, is the "M-25" version the AT-ST I need to look at? Which version did you build? I want to use yours as a reference as well.

Last edited:
Well the euro ATST has been displayed in Europe with the black acrylic stand while the Asian one was displayed on the wooden stand. However the euro ATST has been seen at least once on the wooden stand in the archives :))

But it's easy to figure which one is which, the Asian ATST has a full "232" butt while the euro at-st has it cut in half with the center piece missing. That's why there are almost no pictures of the back of the euro AT-ST. The back of the head of the asian one also have details than the euro ATST doesnt have like some extra piping and Gepard small parts.

The euro ATST also has a small engraved circle in the top center of the front armor plate of the head. The Asian does not.

I'm confused because you said...

The one in your pics is the Euro AT-ST, the blast mark was added for some shots (it was a non-permanent blast mark).

the euro ATST has been displayed in Europe with the black acrylic stand while the Asian one was displayed on the wooden stand

You said the blast mark is the euro and the euro version was displayed with the black stand, right?
But, the one in my pic (which has the same dirt streaking on the back) is displayed on the wooden stand.

I'm confused because you said...

You said the blast mark is the euro and the euro version was displayed with the black stand, right?
But, the one in my pic (which has the same dirt streaking on the back) is displayed on the wooden stand.

I was talking about the blast mark on the front.

Thank you Julien!
A lot of information will be helpful.
And I think I need to study English before I come here.:facepalm

No, it's all my fault, it's been so long I worked on the rotj at-st, I did not remember the Asian Walker has the blaster mark on the front :)

Yes, I can understand. I've resumed building my RED 2 recently, but RED 2 and 3 are mixed-up in my memory.:lol

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back