Are Klean Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits Safe?

Jimmer

I live in an extremely small town (1 walmart is about the extent of our retail paradise), so you can get a good idea what model building supplies I have access to locally.
I want to give oil washes (and dot filter) a try and had a bandai X-Wing kit that was going to be my test subject.
Of course I will give it the "sprue test", but I was curious if anyone had ever tried Klean- Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits (which walmart carries) a try.
I have heard Bandai kits can be a bit finicky, so didn't know if I should order a better product online.
The only time I've ran into problems with Bandai kits is when I used Tamiya Panel Line Accents (bottled, brown). I used it on Bandai's R5-D4 and months later knocked poor R5 over and two of the foot hoses snapped. I realize these are extremely small parts, and easily damaged to begin with, but after feeling the broken hoses I realized they had become extremely brittle.
I had painted the silver parts with Testors spray metallic silver, done an acrylic paint wash and later used the Tamiya accents.
I didn't paint R5's body and later read of others having similar issues using Tamiya panel accents on bare plastic.
(I didn't paint the hoses).
From the extreme brittleness of the hoses I believe Tamiya was the culprit.
Anyway, back on topic, if anyone has a history with Klean Strip I would be grateful for opinions.
I'm very close to starting my Bandai General Grievous, which has inspired me to give oils a try. I'm looking for the best method to weather Grievous' bone armor.
Thanks in advance if anyone has advice.

I've used it and while it may cause some brittleness... I haven't witnessed any cracking... I've used oil washes with mineral spirits quite extensively on my PG Falcon, so you should be good, as long as you're using it over top of an acrylic paint base... never on bare plasitc...

I've used it and while it may cause some brittleness... I haven't witnessed any cracking... I've used oil washes with mineral spirits quite extensively on my PG Falcon, so you should be good, as long as you're using it over top of an acrylic paint base... never on bare plasitc...

Thanks korben.
Gonna give it a try on Xwing. Going to have a base paint of fuselage.
My Grievous model I don't plan on painting. Just weathering and washes. So I will probably avoid oil paints (and Tamita panel line accent).
I love the Tamiya Panel line, but it worries me on bare plastic. May experiment with pastel wash.
Anyway, thanks for info.

I've used the generic blue metal can from Home Depot extensively without any problems. I finally made the switch to AK Interactive odorless so I could use it upstairs without bothering my wife, but I don't notice any difference from a modeling perspective.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back