Are district 9, chappie and elysium all in the same universe?

ChevyM14

So I love all 3 of these movies, (elysium I really like the world it was in more then the plot of the movie, the more I see it, the less plot I look at and the more background world I watch). when I first saw elysium and then chappie, I thought they makers were just being lazy and receiving props and art work. but the more I thought about it, the more the time line make sense. The reason why the ships and guns in elysium look alot like the ones in district 9 is because they are built from the same tec.

anyway what do you guys think about it?

District 9 is set in the Alien Nation universe, Chappie is in the Appleseed universe and Elysium is in the Battle Angel Alita universe.

:$

I've never seen elysium. But I am a HUGE fan of district 9, and also really enjoyed chappie.

In my imagination I can see chappie and district 9 in the same universe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All three films have that certain shantytown, garbage ridden slums aesthetic. I'm guessing growning up in Johannesburg around those kinds of visuals just got into his imagination. Blomkamp also likes to use the same concept artists on his film. Aaron beck, Greg Broadmore, and Ben Mauro off the top of my head. I think a few more WETA guys.

That also contributes to the reason they all feel like the same universe I think.

I've never seen elysium. But I am a HUGE fan of district 9, and also really enjoyed chappie.

In my imagination I can see chappie and district 9 in the same universe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you should definitely see elysium if you like the universe that the other 2 movies are set in. also going into it with the thought that it is a world building sequel would be a cool way to see it for the first time.

you should definitely see elysium if you like the universe that the other 2 movies are set in. also going into it with the thought that it is a world building sequel would be a cool way to see it for the first time.

i still to this day prey we get a sequel to district 9.... i want to see what Christopher Johnson ends up doing... or better yet having CJ son come back to help Vikus

Elysium is the worst of the bunch if only for the ham-handed way it treats it's politics. It's basically a white savior movie where MD helps poor Hispanics cross the Rio Grande of space to get free healthcare in the land of the white man. I'm not kidding. In the process the director/writers sophomorically reinforce ethnic stereotypes and afflict Jodie Foster with facepalm-worthy French accent.

afflict Jodie Foster with facepalm-worthy French accent.

What are you basing that that accent on? have you heard a lot of people from 2159 that were from the same unknown place that Jodie Fosters character was from? Are you saying its bad because it does not sound like she is from 2015 France?

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you basing that that accent on? have you heard a lot of people from 2159 that were from the same unknown place that Jodie Fosters character was from? Are you saying its bad because it does not sound like she is from 2015 France?
.Nah. I'm just saying she sounded weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they are all the same Earth/Universe. First District 9, then Chappie, and then Elysium.

The real story is about the immortal Sharlto Copley and how he transforms into an alien and then discovers that he can change back to different humans and take over their lifespan. He even tries to download himself into a computer and spends some time as a droid. Until, in the far future, he has become jaded and cares not for humanity any more. Living as a mercenary, he alters his body to mimic his previous droid body and does anything he wants. No longer the innocent office/aid worker he once was.

It is a long, tragic tale. :lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back