Arc! Who goes there? Reactor. Reactor, who?

JPH

Sr Member
I have been working on new and improved ways to make an arc reactor. I hope this helps folks. Maybe you have a better way, I'd love to hear it.
I started with THIS design for an arc reactor, 12 holes, 10 struts. arc_reactor__iron_man__wallpaper_by_moon_dazzle-d656jfy.png

Next, I cut some 0.06 pieces of aluminum sheet into 4 inch squares. I drilled a 1/4" center hole and a side #6 screw hole so the plates would be anchored.
3radiusanchor.jpg
Next I made a thick radial guide for the holes and the struts.1radius.jpg
And I used a guide with midlines for reference to drill holes and trace out struts.4radius1012.jpg

Then I drilled and band sawed the holes n struts.
5radiusholes.jpg6radiusholesnice.jpg8radiusstrutss.jpg10radiusfilestimes.jpg

NExt I used a hole saw to etch weakspots in the struts and bend to fit a 3" ID (inner diameter) 3.5"OD (Outer diameter aluminum pipe.
StarBendend.jpgand used a hole saw to cut out the center. I then used very another sheet of very thin aluminum to make guides for LEDs.

LED.jpg
Put aluminum foil around them, then used clear epoxy, mixed with glow in the dark blue powder to seal.
LEDAlum.jpg
After the colored epoxy set, put the whole thing, blue wheel with LEDs and bent stars into the aluminum pipe and use clear epoxy to finish. Starbent.jpg

The blue LEDs seem to charge up the solar powered, glow in the dark powder/dye I used in the bottom layer of epoxy.

HERE is the powder I used
http://www.amazon.com/Glow-Inc-Pure...&sr=8-2&keywords=blue+powder+glow+in+the+dark

Here is the LED string I used...

http://www.amazon.com/Operated-RTGS...=UTF8&qid=1438348232&sr=8-6&keywords=blue+LED

If you want an arc reactor without wires, the glow in the dark blue powder works so so. Have a uv charging bay nearby

examples of DUN-ness Depending on how deep you have the center ring, it may not light up as well. Also, used loctite CLEAR epoxy to embed these. lit.jpglitup.jpg

NINJA EDIT : The newer arcs are beefier because I was asked to make em beefier. Original next to beefierdifferences.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back