APOLLO A7L space suit build-any help would be appreciated!

Yes. however I had to glue it (with an stick) to an A4 sized paper first. You really have to watch the printing process. I had several useless prints before it tunred out that nice.

Yes. however I had to glue it (with an stick) to an A4 sized paper first. You really have to watch the printing process. I had several useless prints before it tunred out that nice.

Wow, I never thought about just putting cloth into a printer like that before!
I'm looking forward to seeing how this will turn out, it should be cool!

It wasn't just the cables and artificial joints that made the things bulky. And bulky by today's standards too, I'm pretty sure. The cables, any metal joints, etc. to help move certainly, but don't forget there's like a 400 degree difference between daylight and night time on the moon, and in orbit, you experience roughly 16 sunrise/sunsets a day, so thermal protection is and was an absolute must.

BTW, Adam, never wrote you guys on the show this but, nice space suit!

=
Does anyone have measurements of the backpack?

I do!
A while ago I was making a suit like this and I ran out of money and ideas for how to do certain aspects. This is an expensive project but also requires a lot of ingenuity. For the hose inputs on the front of the suit, my idea was to cut small wooden squares, screw gas hose inputs into them and then secure those to the suit.

Here's the backpack measurements for you. I saw you made one, but you can just double check to make sure it's the right size.
They were 20.5 inches wide by 26.4 inches tall. I asked the question on Yahoo Answers a while ago. This measurement does NOT include the Oxygen Purge system, though. For that, I used a 16x7.5 measurement. Not sure how close that is.

Good luck!
Having spending a lot of time looking over (and actually handling one) later Apollo suits for a film project I'm consulting on, I convinced the producers to go a different route because you simply can't make a decent-looking A7 series suit cheaply.
But for anyone going ahead anyway, I'd say there are two books you simply have to have. One is the Smithsonian book on their collection, as well as The Praxis book on the subject. Between each, you get an idea what you're really looking at.

Several years ago I bought a book at a library sale called 'Project Apollo The Way To The Moon', published 1969.
It has a bit of info on the suits. It may help you.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I figured out a strap system for your PLSS (and mine too).
Before you put the white cover on, use a strap with two buckles or snaps at the end. Secure it to the back middle of the back pack and run it across your lower waist. Now put the cover on (with two holes for the strap to fit through. You won't be able to see the strap at any point, so it will just look like you have a giant white PLSS stuck to your back.

I can't wait to see the final result! It looks amazing. I am in the process of creating my own suit. Right now I'm at the stage of gathering photos and reference material and surprisingly, I'm having trouble finding measurements for the patches, hardware, and such. I strive for accuracy so this is killing me! Haha... Does anyone know where I can find this info?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back