Apollo A7L Moon Suit

Did you get that sewing machine for Christmas you wanted? Im making a wish list of tools and materials to push my wife over the edge. The Brother, Lock 1034D might pull her back!
No. I think I actually learned a bit about machines though... I found that the one I currently have can do all I needed. I had no idea I could double stitch with my machine, and sure enough, I CAN! I thought I needed a special machine for double stitching, and seeing Mr. Nagata using a Brother Lock 1034D I figured that was what it was used for. WRONG, while it may do a double stitch, its primary use is for "surging". Please correct me if anyone else knows better. So while I may need a surger like the Lock in the future, I've found I'm good for the moment.

View attachment 1278315

Rub and buff on the frame and chrome rattle can on the innards, much better.

View attachment 1278240

More COVID@home time, here is where my connector cluster is sitting currently. H2O connector is just waiting on the bits to come off my resin printer and then will be done. Just waiting on hardware from the slow boat from china right now and once those arrive I'll be able to mount these on my torso fabric section. Where is everyone else at in their build? I was working on my EVA boots @work on lunches, but had to leave my materials behind in my cube when we were sent home.
The finish on the red connector in the image above looks great. Was there a lot of sanding after your print and did you use a filler spray before the final red coat?
View attachment 1278315

View attachment 1278240

More COVID@home time, here is where my connector cluster is sitting currently. H2O connector is just waiting on the bits to come off my resin printer and then will be done. Just waiting on hardware from the slow boat from china right now and once those arrive I'll be able to mount these on my torso fabric section. Where is everyone else at in their build? I was working on my EVA boots @work on lunches, but had to leave my materials behind in my cube when we were sent home.
View attachment 1278315

View attachment 1278240

20200413_221035.jpg

Finally onto my pattern for the suit proper!

I bought a beer keeper suit for cheap that fit me, and I'm using that to put out the patterns as reference Mr Armstrong was a small dude!

20200418_144630.jpg

Cutting out my patches after they arrived. Anyone have proper measurements for the US flag patch? Mine is too small.

20200418_150532.jpg

20200418_150542.jpg

I ordered a custom cotton tshirt with the graphics, then coated with some spray varnish to stiff the fabric and make it a touch shiny. Cut out,and doublesided tape to hold the flaps closed for sewing.

Last edited:
No. I think I actually learned a bit about machines though... I found that the one I currently have can do all I needed. I had no idea I could double stitch with my machine, and sure enough, I CAN! I thought I needed a special machine for double stitching, and seeing Mr. Nagata using a Brother Lock 1034D I figured that was what it was used for. WRONG, while it may do a double stitch, its primary use is for "surging". Please correct me if anyone else knows better. So while I may need a surger like the Lock in the future, I've found I'm good for the moment.
Can't say thanks enough Ken. I have my wife working on getting a suitable sewing machine. I'm still on the fence whether to buy a 3D printer or just source that out. My first piece comes Monday so I can at least see what I can expect quality wise form a local guy. Fingers crossed. But I'm on my way! Ive made a list of tools and materials and can't wait to see progress. While looking at your suit templates and research photos I came across this shot of Neil. Its not the landing suit as his neck ring is blue and nothing looks right. Pockets and fastners etc... But what I do see that didnt add up till now is the cover that goes over the front. Am I right? Is that what the velcro on the chest is all about? Is there a piece we don't see in the Smithsonian pics of a piece of fabric that would fasten atop all this gear??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 9.49.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 9.49.32 PM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 130
But what I do see that didnt add up till now is the cover that goes over the front. Am I right? Is that what the velcro on the chest is all about? Is there a piece we don't see in the Smithsonian pics of a piece of fabric that would fasten atop all this gear??

Hi James,

Yes, there is reference in manuals etc of a cover of sorts. To my knowledge it was never flown and the velcro and snaps are vestigial like an appendix.

I think all of those 3D models are to scale and on the Gdrive. Link on first page of thread.
Hey Ken, Any chance I can get the stl for the cap you built for the lower, two connectors? Just the cap. I'll leave the two lower right ones open as in the Smithsonian pic. If not no worries

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back