APH-6B To X-Wing/Rebel Helmet

PropsToHistory

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I managed to get my hands on several APH-6As and APH-6Bs about a year ago. Ive decided to convert one and this is my current progress
20191010_185001.jpg
20191011_173605.jpg
20191011_173619.jpg
20191015_192230.jpg

And my shop is in a terrible state. But Con season is almost over for me, so rebuild time is upon us.

several you say? Might be interested myself in tackling such a project *hint hint*
Sadly, this will be the only one converted. The rest are being restored to original military configuration. (My other hobby) This particular APH, was damaged. So it became my X-Wing candidate. If you're looking for a correct APH-6 I can source you one.

Well....if you find a beat-up correct helmet (which size would be movie accurate?), which begs for conversion...I am definitely interested ;)

Well....if you find a beat-up correct helmet (which size would be movie accurate?), which begs for conversion...I am definitely interested ;)
I'm not certain what size was used to make the original prop. But mine is an x large. which is handy, as I have a big head. If you're wanting to wear it. Pick a size based on that.

I'm not sure. I can tell you I had two built up on actual helmets. The first was a Medium, very undersized fit very small heads. it was a painful experience to get it on my 7 3/8 size head. I sold it and had a Large one built up. Fit me great with plenty of room.

It seems like a lot of Fan kits utilize the Large helmet as their base. It also seems like eFx used an XL, many think it is too big but so far it's all bee opinion and conjecture.

I once saw someone use a "C" model helmet (cheaper and easier to get). They stripped off the outside parts and put a fan kit shell directly on the top of the main section of the helmet. This way they had the look of an X-Wing helmet on the outside and real interior helmet components on the inside.

I'm not sure. I can tell you I had two built up on actual helmets. The first was a Medium, very undersized fit very small heads. it was a painful experience to get it on my 7 3/8 size head. I sold it and had a Large one built up. Fit me great with plenty of room.

It seems like a lot of Fan kits utilize the Large helmet as their base. It also seems like eFx used an XL, many think it is too big but so far it's all bee opinion and conjecture.

I once saw someone use a "C" model helmet (cheaper and easier to get). They stripped off the outside parts and put a fan kit shell directly on the top of the main section of the helmet. This way they had the look of an X-Wing helmet on the outside and real interior helmet components on the inside.
I'll be reusing some of the original interior components. I did find a set of the APH-5 leather Earcups like used in Wedges and Biggs helmet. and mine will be wearable so I won't be 100% replicating the interior

I'll be reusing some of the original interior components. I did find a set of the APH-5 leather Earcups like used in Wedges and Biggs helmet. and mine will be wearable so I won't be 100% replicating the interior

I was just talking in another post about the ear cups. I've been pretty clueless about them and just started asking questions recently. I have yet to see any proof of actual APH ear cups or any other flight helmet ear cups being identified in the real prop. If you have any image of this, I'd love to see them as there does not seem to be many good shots of interior of these helmets.

I was just talking in another post about the ear cups. I've been pretty clueless about them and just started asking questions recently. I have yet to see any proof of actual APH ear cups or any other flight helmet ear cups being identified in the real prop. If you have any image of this, I'd love to see them as there does not seem to be many good shots of interior of these helmets.
I'll post pics when I get home tonight

Do you by chance have any reference images referring to the helmets you have seen the ear cups in? I havn't seen them at all in the films, but I havn't been looking too hard I guess ;)

I'll post pics when I get home tonight
Do you by chance have any reference images referring to the helmets you have seen the ear cups in? I havn't seen them at all in the films, but I havn't been looking too hard I guess ;)

Me too. I thought when he said he was going to post images, he was referring to those.

Sorry. So the images are quite minimal. And, what amounts to a supposition, is based on these photos and the existing support equipment and available spares in the 1970s for the APH series helmets. With any of the screen shots, the earcups are barely visible and only the bottom part of them. With Red5 the cups appear to be gray? but biggs in particular they are clearly brown leather. The only Brown leather earcups at that time for the APH helmets were for the APH5. Maybe I'm wrong. It made sense to me. and I own a couple sets of them.
Biggs1.jpg
20191019_091133.jpg
20191019_091017.jpg

I can see them in the second picture, but I'm not seeing them in biggs' helmet for some reason. I believe that they most likely had the ear cups in them, but I was simply curious as to where you saw them.

With Biggs they barely show at the very bottom right side of the helmet. This is supposition on my part that the RM8475 earcups are the deadon exact ones. But to me they seem at least likely. I'm trying to dig up the other screen shots I have, but I'm not at home currently

I don't have editing software on my new computer yet to crop images but if you look at the full body promo pic of Luke you can see the ear caps.
Also screen shots of all the pilots during the DS run you can see them on the lower edges of the helmets.

I see what you are looking at and I also see how you might think they are flight helmet ear ups or even any type of ear up padding, but to me it seems like just a foam liner like shown here:

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back