Apex Legends - Wingman (The Death Ray) [WIP]

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Sayha, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Sayha

Sayha Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Apex Legends came out and I was looking for a new gun to make, something more achievable that my Quake3 - Machine Gun project. Looking around I found this skin of the popular Wingman pistol which is quite cool and ray-gun looking. Really like the way it looks.

Still modeling the pistol but its getting there! What a pain it will be to print :D Let's see how it goes!

Y2YRXBL.png
    KQVxq9v.png

H0LpEJ8.png
    ZPnIGlI.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    itsgreg and Mike J. like this.
  2. stimpo

stimpo New Member

That looks fantastic! Im playing this game too and came in here to see if anyone was making any of the cool looking weapons.
    Hope to see the finished pistol.

3. Carson Ames

Carson Ames New Member

I would pay a good amount of money for a replica of the merciless wing version the wingman...

Looks awesome by the way!

4. Sayha

Thanks!

The Merciless Wing has a bit more textured detail that's why I moved away to the The Death Ray :) Let's see how this one will print and I might spend some time to model the different parts for the Merciless Wing.

5. Emu

Emu New Member

That would be amazing if you finished the merciless wing saying it’s the skin I use. Another one you could maybe take a stab at but could be a challenge is the last spartan for the r-301.

6. Sayha

The model is finish! But currently not really happy with the handle, so I might redo that. Thoughts?

k4hWg6F.png
    YPpJJ4N.png
    l8TltWn.png
    b0tn2R4.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  7. Sayha

Finally separated the parts to print and re-did the handle. Much happier now and its more accurate too.
    Now on to printing!

91XToDR.png
    Jm4uGt6.png

Mike J. likes this.
  8. Sayha

Printed some parts! Tried printing in ABS.. the orange parts and all went well.. ABS is super nice to sand.. but when I tried to print the main body part.. it kept warping even with a makeshift enclosure! :/ Had to revert back to PLA .. the yellow part. Let's see how it goes.

Putting together an IKEA LACK enclosure for the printer, in the hopes that will improve the ABS capabilities.

5QxvRNv.jpg
    vAfljZb.jpg
    fzUZZ3L.jpg

Mike J. likes this.
  9. McFlyte

McFlyte Member

Looking good! This is coming together well Also fairly quickly!

10. SantaKlaus

SantaKlaus New Member

Hey a fellow Prusa i3 owner, also loving the progress on the wingman it looks great. There are some great two part epoxies out in the wild that will reduce the difficulty of sanding PLA and paint really well. Made my life about 1000x better when I started using them on the prints I wanted to paint and make look like production parts. Also if you ever consider selling your STLs definitely put me on the list, looks gorgeous.

11. Sayha

SantaKlaus can you link to that epoxy you mention? how does that process go?

In the mean time printed some more parts! Its getting there!

pqXRzFA.jpg
    wiG2ZBU.jpg

12. SantaKlaus

SantaKlaus New Member

Yeah definitely, the link is below, you can pick it up on amazon for dat free shipping. This being the RPF I'm sure others might recommend a different epoxy but this is just what I use. Its a little more expensive than other two part epoxies but I've had good luck with it. Dry times tend to be longer than advertised though unless you use a hair dryer or heat gun. I used this stuff to finish a open-able 3D printed pokeball, I just printed the shells in their appropriate colors, sanded any crazy rough areas and then layered it on. I didn't end up needed more than 2 thin coats before it was smooth and the print lines pretty much gone (.1mm layer height).

Also new parts look great, what layer height are you using for these?

XTC-3D®, High Performance 3D Print Coating