Apemania.com/Planet of the Apes costumes/prosthetics

Jon8712

I'm thinking about buying some classic POTA props, costumes and prosthetics from APEMANIA.COM. Although their stuff is quite pricey, the website and merchandise seem to be top-notch.

Has anybody here on the board dealt with them? I'm interested in knowing about their turnaround times and product quality.

Thanks,

Art

I certainly like the look of their stuff. Their prices have kept me from wanting to snatch anything up.

They've been around a long time. I'm sure there are plenty here who own some.

ART. long time, no see.
shoot me an email sometime bro... i'd love to hear from ya.
hope all is well.

Matt

I've dealt with them and it was a genuine pleasure.

This was about four years back and I ordered the head of Professor Milo from Escape. I telephoned them and spoke with somebody really helpful. I didn't have room for the whole head and shoulders display so they agreed to just sell me the head. After some discussion I settled on the acrylic eyes. Over the next three weeks I received regular emails with photos of my bust in progress.

And then it arrived ...

ape1.jpg
ape2.jpg

It's gorgeous. It really un-nerves a lot of people. I have more room to display things now and am thinking about going back to them for the shoulders to display it properly (I never got around to making the collar and shelf I was going to make :rolleyes )

Bottom line; highly recommended.

That Milo head rocks.. Glad you had such a smooth transaction. :) Thanks for posting your experience with them.

Matt, how's it going? Will try to e-mail you off-board soon. Take care, my friend.

Art

Thanks, Frank. A recommendation like that combined with your reputation in the prop-collecting/making community makes me feel much more secure in spending some $$$$ with Apemania.

Anyway, wish me luck with my order, and if anybody's at DragonCon this year, look for the chimps. :)

Art

I know Brian as well and he is top notch to deal with...I've got 2 custom Jeepers Creepers heads from him and it was probably the best transaction I've ever made. Have no fear.

Wow. Thanx for all the nice words everyone. We do aim to please.

Between ongoing apes projects, movie prop restorations, and the ever-ongoing Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3, the past 18 months have been really busy for both the studio and for me personally.

We are amazed at how popular the classic Planet of the Apes films remain to this day, and are even more amazed at how many calls the APEMANIA troupe still gets for public and promotional ape-pearances.

We thought for sure interest would die off back in '98 after the 30th Anniversary, but obviously we were wrong. Interest in the classic POTA is stronger than ever and we get all sorts of requests all the time.

Our Ursus wardrobe made an ape-pearance on the TV sitcom "Still Standing" as a centerpiece of a memorabilia collection and MTV rented a bunch of stuff from us a few weeks ago for some skit they were doing, so everyone still seems to have a need to GO-APE... We are really eager to see what zaneyness is in store with future requests.

Anyway, thanx again for all of the kind words here. Now, back to the bananas...

Brian Penikas
Make-up & Monsters Studios
Keeper of the glue and faith for APEMANIA.com

<div class='quotetop'>(Jon8712 @ Apr 20 2006, 06:10 PM) [snapback]1230141[/snapback]</div>
I'm thinking about buying some classic POTA props, costumes and prosthetics from APEMANIA.COM. Although their stuff is quite pricey, the website and merchandise seem to be top-notch.

Has anybody here on the board dealt with them? I'm interested in knowing about their turnaround times and product quality.

Thanks,

Art
[/b]
I have talked with a few times about doing a restore job for me, but the price was going to be more than I was willing to pay. I have talked with other people that have worked with them, and said they do some great work., but they were sometimes a bit harsh on the methods they used for a restorations. Then they did follow up with the comment the out come and the quality of the work they did was great.Last time I talked with the guys at Apemania they were wrapping up with new Johnny Depp "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie. They is some great effects on that movie, so let that help be a judgment on there work.
pirates2_p.jpg

<div class='quotetop'></div>
but they were sometimes a bit harsh on the methods they used for a restorations.
[/b]

Hoo-yah. You'd be surprized what some collectors bring to us "begging" us to save or resurrect. Always a challenge at every turn.

We've done about a dozen of the background/stunt pull over ape masks over the years. Nothing like trying to get a bag full of cracker crumbs to look like a mask again.
Stunt mask
cracker.jpg

That ape sarcafagus was another jim-dandy. "Let's dig up a chunk of foam that's been burried on a ranch for 30 years and see if Bri's guys can restore it to original specs."

Sometimes I feel like we're on one of those "Wrecks to Riches" or "Overhaulin" shows. "Do you hafta paint the whole car? But it's original. Rust, dents, holes, and all."

Sarcof.jpg

Also glad to see you found the RPF, Brian.

I've ordered the Cornelius and Zira costumes and prosthetics from Apemania, and they should be ready by the beginning of August. I'll be sure to post pics when we get them. Feel free to post any in-progress pics as well, Brian. :D

Art

<div class='quotetop'>(Jon8712 @ Jun 29 2006, 09:23 PM) [snapback]1271122[/snapback]</div>
I've ordered the Cornelius and Zira costumes and prosthetics from Apemania, and they should be ready by the beginning of August. [/b]

Get ready for some funny looks.

Bill Blake made me up as a Chimp in the mid 70's and people really freaked when we went out on the streets.

Some thought I was a real chimp and was amazed at how tame I was. :lol

Hey Brian,

Glad to bump into you here. Sorry that I missed you at Rocky point this year. I would liked to have seen your presentaion on your Pirates work.. Maybe I'll have the chance to catch up with you at a later date. Take care, and I'll perhaps drop you a line soon.

Shawn (rocky point make-up guy)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back