AOTC-JF Blaster Kit

dmachinist

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
AOTC-JF Blaster Kit

IMG_2143.jpg

This is a model kit and requires fitting/finishing/assembly.

- Machined from solid aluminum and brass.
- Stainless steel screws.
- Molded solid resin handle.
- Light up LED flash hider - 6 LED's included (random mixed colors)
- LED's have built in resistors so no external resistor required !!!.
- 4 triple AAA batteries required (batteries not included).
- Working trigger and Power Regulator.
- Pewter counterweight ( low melt 300F).
- Medium skill level required.

Limited run, on sale now!
Go here to order or you can message me
AOTC-JF Blaster Kit

amazing, ordered just now!
It's been a long time since I wanted one of those but they were always crazy expensive and sold as a pair. thank you so much for offering them (y)

Thank you so much for doing these!!! I sold my MR blasters many years ago, and have been hoping someone would do a replica this good. Absolutely amazing work, and at an awesome price.

I ordered 2 last night :)

Now if someone would do a run of metal screen accurate ANH DH-17 . . . . . .

I received my kit yesterday. I plan on doing a static prop although I really like that it was engineered for the electronics. I worked on sanding and polishing the metal. Sanded
IMG_1858.jpg
IMG_1859.jpg
IMG_1860.jpg
the pistol grip and started with priming it.

Wow that looks fantastic!!!!! What did you use to sand and polish?

I used different grits of sandpaper. The trigger and counterbalance and post had machining lines and casting imperfections. I used 280 grit up to 2500 grit to try and remove those. The barrel, muzzle and back barrel portion were machined very well with next to no machining lines. I used a 3000 grit spongy sandpaper.

Everything was then polished with Meguiar’s motorcycle metal polish. I bought mine at my local Walmart.
IMG_2775.jpg

I used different grits of sandpaper. The trigger and counterbalance and post had machining lines and casting imperfections. I used 280 grit up to 2500 grit to try and remove those. The barrel, muzzle and back barrel portion were machined very well with next to no machining lines. I used a 3000 grit spongy sandpaper.

Everything was then polished with Meguiar’s motorcycle metal polish. I bought mine at my local Walmart.View attachment 978529

Very cool, thanks! I am going to do similar when I get around to doing mine.

56944147411__40F63B75-3436-42B2-9546-34A80EC5788C.jpg

So the pistol grip didn’t turn out quite like I expected. You really have to see it up close to see what I mean. It did turn out ok for now. Again, great kit. I had wanted one of these blasters since MR released their’s in 2002. This kit rivals MR’s and in my mind surpasses it. Thank DM for doing it.

Thanks for sharing your build tips! What was it about the grip that you weren't expecting?

I don’t believe the primer and paint I used was decent. After sanding and cleaning and subsequently priming and painting, the primer and paint would “pool” away. This left spots that appeared to have a lighter or thinner coat. Air bubbles formed in the paint in the “thicker” better coated area. Keep in mind I did multiple quick and thin layers, waiting for each to dry.

It was Krylon paint and I’ve really haven’t had satisfying results in the past using this brand. From a short distance it does look ok. Up really close, not so much. I’m going to leave it as is now and probably redo the grip later. Most likely when I buy a second one of these kits.

You have set the bar very high for this kit!
View attachment 979479

So the pistol grip didn’t turn out quite like I expected. You really have to see it up close to see what I mean. It did turn out ok for now. Again, great kit. I had wanted one of these blasters since MR released their’s in 2002. This kit rivals MR’s and in my mind surpasses it. Thank DM for doing it.

Regarding the paint... I've not had any difficulties with Krylon paints but what you're describing "sounds like" it could be a mold release issue. You've got to really scrub any resin before painting. If the cast had residual mold release on it you get that bubbling/pooling effect. I've extremely rarely seen it with the Resin itself not being fully cured (from not having enough hardener) but that is pretty unlikely as you probably would have noticed it when handling the resin if that were the case.

I would strip the paint and try again.

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back