Anyone use puck lights in their glass displays?

DARTH SABER

Master Member
The reason im asking this is because i I was going to install a Dioder into my Detolf glass display case...however the wiring was crazy and looked awful.
Pluss Dioder lights are not that bright.

So i decided to purchase a set of 6 remote control wireless puck lights.
Found them on Amazon wih overwhelmingly positive reviews.

However a couple of the reviews mentioned that the adhesive wasnt that strong and the puck would fall.

This kind of puzzles me.
I just got the puck lights a couple of days ago and they come with the 3M foam super strong stick pads.
Ive used these pads before and they are incredibly strong..even had them rip the paint off a wall once.

But after reading that review Im kind of second guessing the pads and wondering if theyre gonna fall and damage my models or props.

Anyone have any input on this?

If you're super worried, you could always apply 1 or two extra strips of double-sided tape. They don't weigh much and that's plenty of adhesive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I unscrewed mine and drilled a hole through the casing and screwed it to the top of the cabinet because I was worried about it falling too. Worked like a charm.

The reason im asking this is because i I was going to install a Dioder into my Detolf glass display case...however the wiring was crazy and looked awful.
Pluss Dioder lights are not that bright.

So i decided to purchase a set of 6 remote control wireless puck lights.
Found them on Amazon wih overwhelmingly positive reviews.

However a couple of the reviews mentioned that the adhesive wasnt that strong and the puck would fall.

This kind of puzzles me.
I just got the puck lights a couple of days ago and they come with the 3M foam super strong stick pads.
Ive used these pads before and they are incredibly strong..even had them rip the paint off a wall once.

But after reading that review Im kind of second guessing the pads and wondering if theyre gonna fall and damage my models or props.

Anyone have any input on this?
Interesting that you are asking about this as I just started doing exactly that with my Detlof cases. I am using single LED pucks that don't weigh much at all (so there is no worry of them falling off) and are certainly bright enough. I am using Gorilla double sided mounting tape for the pucks and the clear 3M mounting tape for wire management. I attached the top puck over three months ago (still holding tight) and got sidetracked so I haven't done the lower selves yet but I have all the wires run, it's just a matter of attaching them.

As far as the wiring goes, my selves have enough stuff on each one to hide the wire running from the puck to the back of the case and then to the corner of the self where I drilled a very small hole in the vertical plastic runner and have the wires going along the back of the that spine to the bottom of the case.

I am doing the wired pucks because the connect to a wireless device that allows me to control them from a home automation system.

I bought a Capstone set of 6 from Costco a couple of years ago, and mounted them on the bottom of glass shelves in a medicine cabinet. I cleaned the glass with alcohol before mounting. Held each puck-base against the glass with pressure for 60 seconds. They've never come off or sagged. Rock solid.

The Capstone pucks are awesome. Use 3 AAAs each. Come with a remote to turn on/off, adjust intensity, set timers (10 min, 30, 60, 120). I like them so much I bought a second set to install who-knows-where, I havent' decided yet. (I use rechargeable Eneloop NiMH batteries, btw.)

They have rebates on this set from time to time. $14.99 was a steal for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought a Capstone set of 6 from Costco a couple of years ago, and mounted them on the bottom of glass shelves in a medicine cabinet. I cleaned the glass with alcohol before mounting. Held each puck-base against the glass with pressure for 60 seconds. They've never come off or sagged. Rock solid.

The Capstone pucks are awesome. Use 3 AAAs each. Come with a remote to turn on/off, adjust intensity, set timers (10 min, 30, 60, 120). I like them so much I bought a second set to install who-knows-where, I havent' decided yet. (I use rechargeable Eneloop NiMH batteries, btw.)

They have rebates on this set from time to time. $14.99 was a steal for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This sounds very much like mine.
6 pucks in a set, remote with ON / OFF, timer for 15,30,45,60 min, brightness adjustment.
I also thoroughly cleaned the glass with alcohol and applied the the pucks with quite a bit of pressure.

Do you have a link to the 3M pads that you are using?

The only thing on the pads is the 3M logo in grey, which is on the paper you peal off.
The pads are white round and about 1.5" in diameter, and seem to be made of some rubbery foam material about 2 or 3 mm thick.

As ive said, ive used these types of M3 pads before and they are super strong...but it makes ne wonder why a couple of reviews said the pads didnt stay on long.

Im guessing they applied it to some textured or greasy surface that wasnt cleaned?

Last edited:
I've found that the foam adhesive tape 3M sells, which appears to be identical to the pads, doesn't play all that well with heat. Granted the roll I have is years old now, but I'd be wary about any sort of temperature increase near the tape/light unit. If the light you have are LED, you're probably ok, just watch out for where the transformer is located. In addition, as others have said, the 3M pads can be a bit funny on some surfaces.

OBTW... You said the concern was reviews on Amazon ... I'm always skeptical of Amazon reviews. Some people don't know what they're doing, or talking about, but feel obligated to tell us that a product disappointed them. In those negative reviews, mightve been dopes who put the adhesive on a porous surface, or wasn't properly prepared, or they didn't press hard enough.

Then again, if the pucks are heavy.... The ones I got, the heaviest component are the three AAA batteries.

OBTW... You said the concern was reviews on Amazon ... I'm always skeptical of Amazon reviews. Some people don't know what they're doing, or talking about, but feel obligated to tell us that a product disappointed them. In those negative reviews, mightve been dopes who put the adhesive on a porous surface, or wasn't properly prepared, or they didn't press hard enough.

Then again, if the pucks are heavy.... The ones I got, the heaviest component are the three AAA batteries.

Yeah heaviest components are the batteries.
I personally dont think this adhesive will give out.
Im just being over cautious i guess.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back