Anyone use Aquaresin?

JaggerWolf

So I got my first batch of Aquaresin today, I decided to mix up a small batch and toss it in my new bio mold - Heres whats going on with it so far......

1. Doesnt like to stick to my silicone, keeps draining off - may have to mix it thicker next time?
2. I have been slushing it around for almost 30 mins and its not setting hardly at all.

Now I mixed it according to their directions.

Anyone work with this and have any tips? maybe measurements of material you have used?

I've used it, but now I use Jesmonite which is a very similar product in the UK. It should set quicker than 30 mins - you sure you got more powder than liquid by weight (about 2.5 to 3 parts powder to 1 part liquid) and not the other way around?.

Yes, you'll probably need the thickener to make a gel coat for the first coat, and then laminate on top of that with one of their glass fibre products.

This piece was actually made from Aqua resin:

torso15.jpg

(more here: http://www.xrobots.co.uk/ironmancostume/ )

torso15.jpg

Yeah I was mixing it right but the measurements I was given was 2 to 1 - so ill just have to mix it up a little thicker next time. Im going to wait until I can get some of the aqua veil cloth because without it the aqua resin seems very brittle.

Yep - you'll need to fibreglass with it, it's more like polyester resin than Urethane in terms of strength so it needs reinforcement.

I've used it, but now I use Jesmonite which is a very similar product in the UK. It should set quicker than 30 mins - you sure you got more powder than liquid by weight (about 2.5 to 3 parts powder to 1 part liquid) and not the other way around?.

Yes, you'll probably need the thickener to make a gel coat for the first coat, and then laminate on top of that with one of their glass fibre products.

This piece was actually made from Aqua resin:

torso15.jpg

(more here: http://www.xrobots.co.uk/ironmancostume/ )

Love what you've done there, aquaresin looks like it's quite alright.

And the light-emitting-lenses: how did you make them?

torso15.jpg

Yeah, I've tried it out. Love the idea of not using polyester. I was basically testing it as a hardcoat for foam, with mixed results. I agree that it may need a thicker "gel coat" then backed with the veil/cloth, hopefully your mold doesn't have too much deep detail or undercuts. Good luck!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back