Anyone try air brushing their own body?

Predator of Jax

I mean.... I'm only 5'8, but my build is pretty... well relatively FIT. hahaha... don't bash!

My questions is this, has anyone ever gone about air brushing your own body instead of a full on body suit? I figure the idea would be to have some help and all, to get 'every detail'.

However, I just think that would be pretty cool for a guy like me (with no reasonable amount of costume building to the extent of most of you cats) , to go ahead and give it a try.

I guess it would be air brushing... I mean, it's paint and all... I would think something like different shades of 'clown' Halloween makeup all over would suffice. Defining the muscle outlines.

It would be a crap-ton of paint though... even on my shorter stature.

So, mask goes over my head, the armor and what not would go over my body, and the gauntlets with hands attached would be on... feet as well. With me painted to match! ha...

I mean... what do y'all think? Is this relatively feasible?

I know someone has to have done this before.

Thanks for reading! I had to get this question out there.

Words cannot describe how potentially bad that idea is. Go with skin, bro. It takes more time to prepare, but you'll save yourself the worry and possible discomfort. There's a great Mr. I suit tutorial on making an affordable skin.

Words cannot describe how potentially bad that idea is. Go with skin, bro. It takes more time to prepare, but you'll save yourself the worry and possible discomfort. There's a great Mr. I suit tutorial on making an affordable skin.

yea, i read about that thread... it's very informative. I just think this would be... 'more time effective' seeing as I have only 2 months until Orlando, FL's Halloween bash!

as far as the repercussions go, how bad can it really be, my friend? I can see how paint would smear... but i mean, I'd be careful.

it hasbeen done.. dont rememebr the guys name.. but he was built like a tank.. he only wore his mask/bio with hands gaunts etc.. but he painted his own body... looked very good in fact..

It's been done. The results are what they are. Could be better, could be much worse.

This Guy:
Yodasmeagol

Made a pretty cool, getup for relatively cheap that didn't require too much skill in sculpting, and no mold making ability.
You can see that for his final look, he used cream paints I believe, to give himself a full body paint job. Then went with a mask and armor.
There is a video of the entire build-up as well.

I think the biggest concern would be the texture and size difference between your mask and your body. If you are pretty physically fit, you could be alright, but if you go with a large mask, you may ended up looking a bit bobble-headed.

Anyway, enough rambling. Give it a shot. It can/has been done, but you never really know until you try.

Goodluck.

I met this guy at CONvergence in Minneapolis with a home-built Predator costume:
4760366329_d691dfd581.jpg
CVG2010-07012010-023 by Elkman, on Flickr

He was going to apply some sort of cream makeup or some other sort of body paint to his skin so he'd have a Predator-looking skin, but I guess he just didn't get time for it. If you want, I can look him up and ask what he had been planning to use for it.

His costume was a lot less sweaty than mine was, so I'll give him credit for that.

As long as you use paint that won't run or smear then you can do it.

-Chris

On that note, I'd recommend Alcohol Activated paints. You can buy them in palettes and apply them by hand, or you can buy a version that is sprayable through an airbrush.

It'll be a b*%ch to wash off afterward, but you wont have to worry about it coming off because of rain or sweat.

something similar to these:
Skin Illustrator

It's been done. The results are what they are. Could be better, could be much worse.

This Guy:
Yodasmeagol

Made a pretty cool, getup for relatively cheap that didn't require too much skill in sculpting, and no mold making ability.
You can see that for his final look, he used cream paints I believe, to give himself a full body paint job. Then went with a mask and armor.
There is a video of the entire build-up as well.

I think the biggest concern would be the texture and size difference between your mask and your body. If you are pretty physically fit, you could be alright, but if you go with a large mask, you may ended up looking a bit bobble-headed.

Anyway, enough rambling. Give it a shot. It can/has been done, but you never really know until you try.

Goodluck.

I've seen this dude's YT videos. His latest one shows a life-size Queen statue he made with under $100 or so (which looks way more gorgeous than it sounds). He's The Movie Geek and does a lot of film-related projects.

I'd still say you'd need a pretty good build to pull it off.

it hasbeen done.. dont rememebr the guys name.. but he was built like a tank.. he only wore his mask/bio with hands gaunts etc.. but he painted his own body... looked very good in fact..

That's my idea for sure. Hopefully I can pull it off in 2-3 months, if not its just gonna be a work in progress.

Wasn't it hopkinator?

Yes, it was the Hopkinator. But I've been told he used a skin without sleeves and painted his arms.

HOP.jpg

there was definatly another guy who painted his entire body... was more athletic built.. like a body builder even that did it.... oh and there was a female body builder that did it to

Yes, im sure I saw a female pred costume pic where she had painted her skin, will have a look... But I say that it can be done allright, but you will need help for the hard to reach places, lol, unless you use quite a lot of armour and stuff to hide most of the skin. But cant you also paint some skin tight clothes if you want to stay cheap and quick?

So I'm looking further into all of this madness....

I'm looking to purchase an airbrush kit soon. I want to ask though: Painting the rubber feet, hands, etc would be along the lines of createx, prosaide, or permawet.... yea?

Then painting myself would be more along the lines of 'Alcohol activated paint'? any other options?

Both could be used through the same airbrush, eh?

Just let me know, guys.... I'm posting some d@mn pictures for y'all to get a kick out of when I get my sh!t together!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back