Anyone tackle the Polar Lights C57-D?

TheSt.LouisKid

Sr Member
If so how did you do? Any suggestions or things I should look out for? I bought one 3 weeks ago and and am gearing up to put it together. Any input or pics as a heads up would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Get yourself a copy of CultTVman's Ultimate Modeling Guide to Building Classic Ships of Sci Fi. Article by Marc King on building the C-57D.

Houdiniguy has one in his collection thread.

http://rpf.prop-planet.com/viewtopic.php?topic=54231&forum=1&start=0

I haven't built my copy of the kit, but what I hear is that the six-panel main hull is hard to construct without warpage. I imagine it might be sturdier if you put a big disc of plexiglas thru the equator of the saucer, for strength.

Here's a partial buildup, using paper clamps to hold the wedges together...

csuckuC57D003.jpg

http://www.culttvman.com/bench_161_william_powell__jeff.html

Here's a non-canon buildup...

kclarkC57D-01t.JPG

http://www.culttvman.com/kyle_clark_s_polar_lights_c-57.html

- K

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
phase pistol wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
I haven't built my copy of the kit, but what I hear is that the six-panel main hull is hard to construct without warpage.
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

I thought that six segment hull design was.....a different idea.
icon_confused.gif

Get some bondo or whatever you like to use for filler. The six panel hull for your new coffee table...er...C57-D is supposed to be smooth, so you're going to have to fill in all the seams.

I never built mine. After building two PL Jupiter 2s, I decided to sell my C57-D. I just couldn't bring myself to go through the trouble of polishing another smooth hull. It's amazing how many scratches that you can't see show up after the first coat of metalizer spray paint!! Get some sandable primer and a lot of wet sanding paper/pads for getting out all of the tiny scratches.

BTW, this would be an awesome project to try out the Alclad paints.

Raygun

TheSt.LouisKid wrote:
I thought that six segment hull design was.....a different idea.
icon_confused.gif

I don't follow you... what?
icon_lol.gif

- K

Cool. Thanks Phase.

With a 28 inch diameter the only place for this model is going to be on my media cabinet.

I am going to have to go back and look at the film. I seem to vaguely remember the dark areas indicated in the last picture you posted. I am trying to remember if the bottom spun.

You MAY be thinking of Ray Harryhausen's UFOs from "Earth vs the Flying Saucers", which DID have markings on the bottom, and which DID rotate...

saucer1.jpg
earth%20vs%20flying%20saucers%20in%20flight.jpg

The C-57D had no such markings but the engine core may have rotated, I'm not sure.

C57D_inflight.jpg

- Karl

phase pistol wrote:
You MAY be thinking of Ray Harryhausen's UFOs from "Earth vs the Flying Saucers", which DID have markings on the bottom, and which DID rotate...

That is probably what I am remembering.

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back