Anyone seen "The Thing" Collectors DVD? SS Space Ship!

Beeb89

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
In the bonus material on the collectors version of "The Thing" they showcase the ship and it's builder. Even though the ship has very little screen time, it is VERY cool! LOTS of detail. It looks like it has been well taken care of and they show some great close-up shots as well.

I would love to build on of these!

Sorry, but I can't do screen grabs but you need to check it out!
-B89!
icon_biggrin.gif

Have'nt seen the dvd yet,but I must agree....the ship was way cool.I also like the ship to "Preditor",both ships from these films has only seconds of screen time.I don't know how well either was documented,but very little I should think.

i wanted to make this years ago
icon_smile.gif

thanks for the pics i may have to do it now,
i found a ufo model kit at a store, i think it was a lost in space kit, i dont know the dimentions though, i was going to use that as a start, anyone know if they used something found?? or if it was custom?? any ideas what could be used as a base??

and now i have to buy the special edition
icon_razz.gif
already bought the thing once, now i have to get this one, hate it when they do this

All of it was scratchbuilt by the modelmaker, she did an excellent job on the ship and the last scene miniature where they animated "The Thing" Stop-motion but that scene was later cut.

I'm sure it wasn't based on any "found" model kit at least, that miniature is huge (18"? not sure).

Might be some sort of decorative item or tray tho.

Note the etched-brass parts, the ring around the outside, etc.

They show a lot of the top side but not much of the bottom.

The miniature has a sort of "Star Trek Next Generation" NCC-1701-D saucer feel to it... I wonder if Sternbach was influenced by the Thing saucer at all.
icon_smile.gif

- k

i know the whole thing is not found
icon_razz.gif

just wondering about the main body of the disc? it could be,
could be a tray of some sort, notice the bump in the middle though, what could be used as a starting point,

btw the ufo model kit i found before was 18"may have to go see if its still in the store

Well fill us in on the 18" UFO model kit, I'd like to see it!
icon_biggrin.gif

Most such kits I've seen are 12" or less... the Forbidden Planet C-57D is an exception, but that is humongous.

And the "Thing" saucer is pretty flat, you'd have to use a pizza or something.
icon_lol.gif

- k

I don't know if this is heresy or anything, but that would make a really cool saucer for a Star Trek ship.

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Treadwell wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
I don't know if this is heresy or anything, but that would make a really cool saucer for a Star Trek ship.
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Yeah as I said, it has a real TNG vibe to it.

The "USS Thing" would be right at home in the Wolf 359 graveyard...
icon_biggrin.gif

-K

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
mez7 wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
now i have to buy the special edition
icon_razz.gif
already bought the thing once, now i have to get this one, hate it when they do this
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Actually if you have the original DVD I think you have the isolated music score, which they don't include on the new special edition.

- k

ill have to keep both then
icon_lol.gif

ill go to the model shop i saw the ufo model kit in, but im not sure if it will still be thier, it was either last year or the year before, but its right near my house so ill check on the way home from work tommorow

if not its off to a pizza place to steal some dishes
icon_lol.gif

I would say it's about 16" in diamater.

Are there places you can get brass etched and cut like that for a one off project?

Thanks for posting the pics, phase pistol.
icon_smile.gif

See, I told you it was a cool ship!
icon_wink.gif
The builder said it was fabricated from ABS plastic instead of styrene to withstand the heat from the lights. I'm not sure if it has any found items as it's base but I kind of doubt it. The lady flat out has some skills as you can see from the detail of the miniatures she made for the cut "stop motion" scene.

I love to hear about FX shots and how they were set up and executed, so that was my main reason for getting the DVD but the ship was definitely a BIG bonus!
icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!
-B89!
icon_biggrin.gif

well any new info out of anyone??

the shop i saw the old UFO kit didnt have it anymore, so couldnt see if it was any close to what is on film
but as ive wanted to make this thing for so long anyone still want to??

Sorry for the necro post, but it IS to update it with new photos. Since it was mentioned in a thread pertaining to the CE3K Mothership........ I felt it was more appropriate to post these here.

At the recent (last year) screening of the film here in L.A., the Thing's ship/saucer was on display. It was behind a plex case, hence the glare.

Enjoy,

Gene

Awesome Gene! Are those motor boat Torpedoes on the upper hull? Possibly Vosper or PT?
Wouldnt mind having the light surround strip laser cut TBH, the rest looks a breeze, kinda lol.

Bests...... Lee

(Jason thinks about how cool this film is, the fact that this model lights up and stuff, and how there's a laser cutter in the house...)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back