Anyone recall this Star Wars prop exhibit? Possibly Japan in the 90's?

TomSpinaDesigns

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,

Years ago, I saved a single image from a website of photos showing pics from a Star Wars prop exhibit. Unfortunately, I didn't save the link and I've never been able to turn up the site again.

The pic I saved was a cantina alien mask, but I seem to remember there being an Xwing of some sort. I can't even be sure if it was a Star Wars only exhibit, or if there were other Sci-fi franchises showcased too.

I made a note that it was an exhibit in Japan, though it's possible that the site was in Japanese and that was just an assumption on my part?

It looks like I originally saved the file in Feb 2000 (though it may have been earlier), so the exhibit would've been prior to that. I've attached the pic below. The border is original to the site it came from.

Anyway, I'd love to know if anyone remembers the site or the exhibit and if there are any other photos out there from it.

Thanks for looking!

best,
Tom

Hi Tom,

I would try PM'ing Don Bies...

If memory serves correctly, he was still archivist at this time, and supervised a pretty big display of props and costumes in Japan. This would have been after the Buena Yerba exhibit in California, but well before the Magic of Myth opened at the Smithsonian.

In fact, I believe that the book that accompanied the Japanese exhibit was later translated into English and became the original Star Wars Chronicles.

But Don could tell you for sure.

Jason

Hmmm... my google powers must be rusty! Not having much luck. I did hear from Don and he's fairly certain this was not an LFL sponsored exhibit.

The mystery continues!

Tom

The RPF strikes again! Nicely done Michael... thank you kindly. How'd you find it?

Anyone know the language at all? Would love to learn more about the exhibit...

best,
Tom

What the...??? Michael, that´s great! I actually found the link in my old saved thumbnails after you posted the wacko glyphs... :lol

The RPF strikes again! Nicely done Michael... thank you kindly. How'd you find it?

Anyone know the language at all? Would love to learn more about the exhibit...

best,
Tom

Those two lines on top just roughly say "In September 1998 Tokyo Tower Gallery opened. This museum 'started'"

I don't really know what "This museum started" means - but that's what it says...

You're welcome in advance Tom, that'll be one lifesized screenused display. I'll just come pick it up when you're ready... :lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back