Anyone paint Dreds before?

Tsurabisu

Okay, everyone. Just got my dreads today from Casey and I was wondering if anyone had some tips on painting dreads. I've gone through the huntorials for a while now with no luck, and I know people have done it before. So, any info ya got would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--Tsu

The ones I got from Casey are black. I plan on having a paint theme kinda opposite of the Berserker. Where the dread starts out red and eventually fades to black at the end.

havent done it, but i would use a flexible paint. like if you were painting a latex mask. otherwise you run the risk of acrylic cracking.

well skunk paints his dreads dont he on his epic masks

im guessing the normal way just undercoat with prosaide then your chosen paint eg FW inks then and outer coating of whatever prosaid i guess

someone pm him

Good topic. I'm curious as well, I plan on painting my dreads [well, the dreads I eventually be ordering from Hez, didn't order yet] a brownish color to match the Falconer dreads.

I simply give the dreads a good wipe with a warm damp cloth ( a small amount of washing up liquid in the bowl of hot water)
this is to remove any residue left over from the mould release.
Then I simply airbrush straight ink.....Then give them a coat of liquitex, there's no worry of the paint cracking as the dreads are not stretched like the latex mask, but straight ink will rub off eventually so thats why I coat them individually with liquitex ( permawet)
Just be careful putting dread rings on and off as the more you do it, the more you will be likely to rub some of the paint off, a good couple of coats of liquitex should do the trick though.

Good luck.

I simply give the dreads a good wipe with a warm damp cloth ( a small amount of washing up liquid in the bowl of hot water)
Then I simply airbrush straight ink.....Then give them a coat of liquitex, there's no worry of the paint cracking as the dreads are not stretched like the latex mask, but straight ink will rub off eventually so thats why I coat them individually with liquitex ( permawet)
Just be careful putting dread rings on and off as the more you do it, the more you will be likely to rub some of the paint off, a good couple of coats of liquitex should do the trick though.

Good luck.

there we go thanks skunk your the expert in dread painting

Good luck.

Thanks! That really helps, amigo.

i got my mask many years ago,its a DB with foam dreads.
I just painted the bead looking sections with straight gold acrylic.been wearing this costume for years and they still look gold as the day i painted them.
i just used a little model brush and slowly painted them.

Loads of good suggestions here! If I were gonna do it (and I haven't, but intend to) I will likely just use some latex pigment in straight liquid latex, thinned enough to go through an airbrush, or just leave it unthinned and spray it through a spray gun (used for cars)

if your going to have it change color, you can have several cups of the paint thinned to different shades and dip it from lightest to darkest starting from a higher point to a lower point, the cover it with the flexible clear coat

I actually used Liquid Latex Body Paint and painted with regular Acrylic paints - no cracking or anything. It was very flexible and I can bend and twist like no other and nothing comes of or cracks or anything it was actually very effective, the reason I did that was because some of the foam dreads had small wholes that I wanted to cover up and seal flush.

Once I finished them the dreads looked 1000 times better and even moved more freely than before.

I painted my dreads to look like the elders. I did not prep work, just started painting them with an airbrush and created paints. I also didn't put a clear coat on them and I have yet to see any cracks. The paint absorbs into the foam so it will not Peel off.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back