Anyone making a Zathura game?

http://shopping.discovery.com/product-5935...id=40587878-2-0

732800_lg.jpg

:p

Okay, anyone bought that game and is able to review it ?

I just saw a trailer to the movie (coming out this week over here in Germany), and I love the retro look ot it .

So, anyone ?

Thanks,
Michael

That's cool. I saw the movie, it was fun, and much like its predecessor, Jumanji

And speaking of which, was there ever a replica (fan-made or storebought) of Jumanji?

Well..
I bought one. It's really fun for the first 10 minutes, then gets really really repetitiveand old fast.

It has the control dash that is a cool concept, the dashboard shoots out the next card. The problem is that 1) it has a bell that gets REALLY annoying after about the 3rd turn and 2) more often than not 2 or three cards gets stuck together and shoots out and clogs the whole thing up.

Replay value=0. Fun factor = 5

Mainly it just looks really cool on the self being all retro and whatnot lol.

I wouldn't expect anyone could market a faithful, working reproduction of the game as it appeared in the movie for US $30.00. Although I haven't yet handled the game personally, the Discovery Channel Store now has more than a dozen reviews up and you can begin to get a feel for what people think of it.

Although it currently has a high overall rating, the comments of those who like the game tend to be general and/or focus on the cosmetic (e.g., "It's fun," "It looks like the game in the movie").

On the other hand, the comments of those who don't like it are very specific and have to do with the game's quality and playability... or lack thereof: card dispenser doesn't work properly, spinner doesn't spin, made of plastic rather than tin, etc.

I'd guess sd1138's review sums it up rather well: This one may have more value sitting static on the shelf as part of your prop collection than it does as a playable recreation of the movie game.

The movie one required multiple people to operate, and the scene with the sparking black hole required people to operate underneath the gameboard. The DVD has great behind the scenes information on the gameboard.

Nope, it was made of real metal. Here's a Making Of about it:

That being said, I have started building a 3D model of the base board, based on the plans Phil Saunders released on his ArtStation page:

eXTpzsL.jpg

s3TXwIl.jpg

This is missing a lot of stuff yet though, like the bridge and the actual cutouts of the tracks, mechanical buttons and slots. Also the artwork itself isn't complete either, as it was just the design from top down. So everything under the bridge needs to be recreated, as well as all the verticals (which, unfortunately, feature some artwork as well, which hasn't been released).

And ultimately, I have no idea what to create out of this. It could be 3D printed, but then it needs to be painted as well. Maybe applying the artwork as water slide decals and painting in the stars by hand? Maybe 3D-printing or plotting airbrush stencils for some of it? Some metallic paint over that for the worn look? Vacuum forming might be an option as well (especially seeing videos of machines of forming plastic that already has artwork printed on it). Anyway, this was just a test to get it out of my system, so currently I have no idea if this leads anywhere.

Last edited:
What's your dimensions ? I have a fairly large scale printer...Anycubic

15.75 x 15.75 x 17.72 build size.

to revive this old thread, I was wondering was the prop boardgame made of plastic and then painted to look like a tin toy?
There were multiple versions of the game used throughout the movie. Some were real tin, and some were vacuformed plastic over a mold and painted to make it look like tin. The main board that had all of the mechanics to make it work was tin, but the stunt boards were plastic. I’m pretty sure I’m the first person to build a replica (it’s cardboard). But I would love to get a vacuform machine and make it out of plastic

Nope, it was made of real metal. Here's a Making Of about it:

That being said, I have started building a 3D model of the base board, based on the plans Phil Saunders released on his ArtStation page:

View attachment 1285547
View attachment 1285548

This is missing a lot of stuff yet though, like the bridge and the actual cutouts of the tracks, mechanical buttons and slots. Also the artwork itself isn't complete either, as it was just the design from top down. So everything under the bridge needs to be recreated, as well as all the verticals (which, unfortunately, feature some artwork as well, which hasn't been released).

And ultimately, I have no idea what to create out of this. It could be 3D printed, but then it needs to be painted as well. Maybe applying the artwork as water slide decals and painting in the stars by hand? Maybe 3D-printing or plotting airbrush stencils for some of it? Some metallic paint over that for the worn look? Vacuum forming might be an option as well (especially seeing videos of machines of forming plastic that already has artwork printed on it). Anyway, this was just a test to get it out of my system, so currently I have no idea if this leads anywhere.
I have the side and back decals if that helps

Attachments

• zathuraside3.png
    zathuraside3.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 178

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back