Anyone know where to get a resin or metal DEA badge?

Hecubus114

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Not even sure if it would be allowed but figured this is the place to ask... I found a couple sites that advertise metal (expensive) replicas but cant find any info on the sites' legitimacy, which makes me weary to buy from them. I'd be happy with a simple resin one I could paint. Would look great with my Breaking Bad collection... thanks!

LOL - yeah, I know - but I see plenty of NYPD and similar type replica badges for sale as "collectors items" and seem to not cause any problem. If it is truly illegal then I will happily steer clear but I figured I'd see what people knew about the matter before just assuming...

dea badges are forbiden in the us and if you order a federal badge from an overseas seller expect the package delivered bye a fed. however the old bureau of narcotics and dangerous drugs badges are sometimes available if you can locate one. they look just like the old style dea badge same shape with the us disc in the center. also there's a elvis preasley bndd badge too. looks just like the regular bndd badge but on the bottom where it say's agent it has elvis name. hopes this helps

Thanks for the info - I suspected as much but then started wondering how they are able to be made for movies and television. Closeups of the one on BB clearly shows it is a resin replica - so there must be exceptions to them being illegal... I wont push it if it seems like a no no, but if its something I could possibly LEGALLY own, I'm gonna be all over it...

That's not true you can buy them all day long. Just don't wear it, carry it or try to use it! It's permitted to own one under Federal law as long as its displayed as part of a collection.

Morning all,

Just so you guys are aware, indianeagle is absolutely correct, possession of a U.S. FEDERAL law enforcement badge by anyone in the U.S. other than sworn personnel is illegal. You can buy and possess replica badges of non-federal agencies if they are for a collection or for dramatic use (TV, Movies) It is likely that the federal badges used in media productions aren't accurate to the real badge, which is how they skirt the law.

Buying Police Badges
police badges sold,police badges bought

Also often in media they can get special permissions to use it. They do work stuff out with federal agencies and the military at times ;p

do you know where I can find this police badge holder necklace? hank-main.jpg

For anyone interested here is the actual statute (HR 4827, Law #106-547) I'm not a lawyer but it seems the statute is clearly stating that if you can mount a defense under the conditions outlined, you don't have anything to worry about legally (you could be charged but not likely convicted). If a federal law enforcement agent finds FBI or DEA badges being used in a photo shoot or movie, as part of a collection hanging on your wall, etc. they are not going to arrest you knowing you can mount a successful defense in federal court. State and local laws are anybody's guess. I need a DEA badge for a photo shoot, and after actually reading the statute I'd be a little more comfortable about ordering one. I see a whole lot of wiggle room in this law.

‘‘§ 716. Police badges
‘‘(a) Whoever—
‘‘(1) knowingly transfers, transports, or receives, in inter*
state or foreign commerce, a counterfeit police badge;
‘‘(2) knowingly transfers, in interstate or foreign commerce,a genuine police badge to an individual, knowing that suchindividual is not authorized to possess it under the law ofthe place in which the badge is the official badge of the police;‘‘(3) knowingly receives a genuine police badge in a transfer
prohibited by paragraph (2); or
‘‘(4) being a person not authorized to possess a genuine
police badge under the law of the place in which the badgeis the official badge of the police, knowingly transports thatbadge in interstate or foreign commerce,
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 6months, or both.
‘‘(b) It is a defense to a prosecution under this section thatthe badge is used or is intended to be used exclusively—
‘‘(1) as a memento, or in a collection or exhibit;
‘‘(2) for decorative purposes;
‘‘(3) for a dramatic presentation, such as a theatrical, film,
or television production; or
‘‘(4) for any other recreational purpose.
‘‘(c) As used in this section—
‘‘(1) the term ‘genuine police badge’ means an official badge
issued by public authority to identify an individual as a lawenforcement officer having police powers; and
‘‘(2) the term ‘counterfeit police badge’ means an item thatso resembles a police badge that it would deceive an ordinaryindividual into believing it was a genuine police badge.’’.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pardon me for bumping this...

These days, with the crackdown in the past 12 months on replica (more accurately, counterfeit) badges outside the US, the market has dried up for the most part. Unless you happen to know someone in the DEA prepared to order a spare (yes, there are companies from which a serving officer of a number of federal agencies can acquire a spare badge) and you are otherwise in compliance with the law, you're out of luck as far as anything remotely accurate. Those badges which are available as far as DEA are exceedingly low quality, and are textured in places they shouldn't be - and for this, you're paying more than a real 'officer's second' badge.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back