Anyone in Ireland who wants to be in Vikings?

mistymills

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Wish I was local to this!

http://lovebelfast.co.uk/2015/03/19...a-viking-army-now-you-can-8000-extras-needed/

Newstalk reports that Vikings, the hugely successful History Channel production that is filmed in Ireland, has announced a casting call to find a minimum of 8,000 extras to work on its forthcoming season.

Dublin
FILMBASE, Curved St, Temple Bar, D2
Tuesday 31st March 2015 between 9.30am -4.30pm
Wednesday 1st April 2015 between 9.30am – 5pm

Wicklow
The Grand Hotel, Abbey St, Wicklow Town
Tuesday 7th April between 10am – 6pm

As much as I love the show, I do wish The History Channel would get their history right. You can still have interesting stories and good ratings while still getting the chronology right and dressing folks in appropriate armor. And putting the viking ships' steering board on the steer-board (starboard) side.

I wonder if the show is going to last long enough to show what becomes of Ivar. He becomes quite a character.

Having gone the Extra route many times, I would not go out of my way (Airfare, Lodgings, etc) to be "atmosphere" on a show. When we did Deadwood we had 175 Extras on set for the pilot and it was hard to keep everyone corralled and ready to shoot, even with an AD for every group of 20 to 30, and the set broken up into sections. 8000 would be unbelievably hard to control, feed and costume in today's shooting environment with people's attitudes about being told what to do and such.

Also, it would be pretty crappy if you flew all the way to Ireland and they took one look at you and said, "Sorry, Next!"

As much as I love the show, I do wish The History Channel would get their history right. You can still have interesting stories and good ratings while still getting the chronology right and dressing folks in appropriate armor. And putting the viking ships' steering board on the steer-board (starboard) side.

I wonder if the show is going to last long enough to show what becomes of Ivar. He becomes quite a character.

The "remotely historically accurate" ship sailed in the first season pretty early on. Problems include:

- A jarl who rules like a feudal overlord, rather than an administrator selected by the Thing.

- The steering board issue.

- The fact that England is a far-off "rumored" land when, even in 793, the Vikings were WELL aware of it and had been trading there for quite some time.

- Making Aella of Northumbria a contemporary at the time of the Lindisfarne sacking. That is a nearly 100 year difference. As I said in the original Vikings thread, the equivalent of this would be something like having President Barack Obama attempting to console a shocked nation at the bombing of Pearl Harbor. It's that big of a screwup. But nobody seems to give a crap, because durr hurr people are ignorant of history and I guess if it's that old, who cares, right? I mean, it's not like this is coming from a channel that, at one time, purported to be about actually ****ing educating people about history...

The "remotely historically accurate" ship sailed in the first season pretty early on. Problems include:

- A jarl who rules like a feudal overlord, rather than an administrator selected by the Thing.

- The steering board issue.

- The fact that England is a far-off "rumored" land when, even in 793, the Vikings were WELL aware of it and had been trading there for quite some time.

- Making Aella of Northumbria a contemporary at the time of the Lindisfarne sacking. That is a nearly 100 year difference. As I said in the original Vikings thread, the equivalent of this would be something like having President Barack Obama attempting to console a shocked nation at the bombing of Pearl Harbor. It's that big of a screwup. But nobody seems to give a crap, because durr hurr people are ignorant of history and I guess if it's that old, who cares, right? I mean, it's not like this is coming from a channel that, at one time, purported to be about actually ****ing educating people about history...

Don't forget all that leather biker gear that passes for armor in the show.

Best part of doing extra work to pick up some extra cash? Whipping out a SAG card and pointing to your watch at lunchtime. FIRST IN LINE, BABY! :)

At least their helmets don't have horns. (Given that they don't wear helmets. At all.)

And they did get the Ecbert --> Aethelwulf --> Alfred lineage right.

And I do love it when the groups are speaking Old Norse and Old English around each other.

I mean, don't get me wrong. As a straight adventure story, it's a perfectly fine show. But when presented as being historical rather than a fanciful and woefully incorrect depiction of viking life? Not so much. If this had appeared on, say, AMC, or FX or something, I'd have had less of an issue. But there are just some super-glaring problems that appear in the first season which irked me.

All that's a digression, though. It could still be cool to be an extra in the show, just for the fun of going behind the scenes on a pretty well budgeted show.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back