Anyone have screen pics or model pics of the "SULACO" from Aliens?

You know what might be a good idea?I watched the Alien DVD of the Aliens Quandry DVD set and on the special features,there's a guy(can't recall his name or where he's at?),but he has all(and I mean all) of the props and minatures ever made for all of the Alien films.He's made a meauseum out of it.Might be a good idea to find a way to contact him and maybe get some really good photos of the Sulaco miniature (he has it).

That's Bob Burns. He owns the Sulaco now.

Incidentally, Pat McClung was one of the gentlemen who built the Sulaco.

There are also some 'behind the scenes' photos of the model during construction on the Aliens DVD.

-Mike J.

Willie,

Those are some excellent pics of the Sulaco. Thanx very much (y)thumbsup..

I remember now that i did some model projects together with a UK modeller that worked on the Sulaco. He build the turrets, and if i recall correctly, he told me he weathered/airbrushed the whole thing.

Cheers,

Wasili

Ahem... Although the pics on the starshipmodeler site are credited to someone else, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that it was in fact me who took those pics of the Sulaco at Bob Burns home.

Bob was gracious enough to leave me alone with the model for several hours so I could thoroughly document it in measurements and pics.

Thats all, thanks for listening.

Ahem... Although the pics on the starshipmodeler site are credited to someone else, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that it was in fact me who took those pics of the Sulaco at Bob Burns home.

Bob was gracious enough to leave me alone with the model for several hours so I could thoroughly document it in measurements and pics.

Thats all, thanks for listening.

Jim,

When did you take the pics? If it was after the release of ALIEN3, what you got was a repainted Sulaco. Bob loaned it to BOSS for use on the Fincher film on the condition that if it had to get painted or modified, that it had to go back to the original look and the work be done by Pat (who was at BOSS at the time). Turns out that it did need to get repainted for the ALIEN3, and was restored after. But, although the main guy did paint both versions of it, it is a repaint........

FYI - my first job out of film school was for the Skotaks. And the first thing they had me do was assist in the restoration of these pieces for Bob (back in '90). The Sulaco had been shipped from England to Los Angeles unsecured in a crated filled with nothing but packing peanuts. The entire antenna section in the front was sheared off. Dennis Skotak went through the entire box, examining every darn peanut to make sure some bit of plastic or etched brass wasn't thrown out. He and Pat tackled the Sulaco, while some others took on the landing gears of the Dropship. Problem was, the landing gears couldn't support the weight of the model. I did some cosmetic touch ups here and there and helped get stands made.

It was a fun intro into the pro world of VFX....

Gene

Hi Gene, my visit there was right after you guys had restored the models. Bob told me the story of how the models were carelessly shipped and that Pat had repainted the Sulaco. I could still see some damaged areas (split seems & such) which I liked cuz it gave me some insight to the models foam-core construction.
Other than that, nice work on the resto. The models looked great!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back