Anyone had experience with Aluminium bound resin?

fettster

Sr Member
Hi Guys

I have been lucky enough to get my hands on a Jango fett helmet that was cast off one of the ones from the film.

It is made of fibreglass and the gelcoat has aluminium power mixed in which is how the originals were made.

my question is has anyone worked with this stuff? I have sanded, and sanded to get the metal finish to show through but im not getting an even finish.

The metal is showing but its light silvery and dark silver so it looks patchy.

Am i doing something wrong or do i need to keep sanding or do i just have to live with it?

any help would be greatly appriecated.

Sounds like the aluminum powder didn't settle evenly in the gel coat, and what you're seeing is different concentrations of aluminum in the strata you're revealing when you sand. You may not get the effect you're hoping for from that casting. Can you pull another?

~ GM

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ May 26 2006, 04:58 PM) [snapback]1251116[/snapback]</div>
Sounds like the aluminum powder didn't settle evenly in the gel coat, and what you're seeing is different concentrations of aluminum in the strata you're revealing when you sand. You may not get the effect you're hoping for from that casting. Can you pull another?

~ GM
[/b]

thanks for the reply, I had to buy it, and it cost mega money so this is all i have to work with, if i cant get it right, i might have to rub and buff but thats a last resort.

anyone else got any ideas?

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back