Anyone else disappointed in TV Now a days?

Scottryan15

Coming from a kid who's watched TV all of his life, at least 8 hours a day for the past 16 years. I used to love watching old documentaries on the history channel but now its all pawn stars/ghosthunters/aliens, Doesn't make sense to me. The same thing with MTV, there is absolutely no music. They might as well call it MACBSTV (Modern American Culture and Bull***t Television.)

Just felt like venting my feelings and giving a couple examples.
I hate tv nowadays ...

Yep. Very little entertainment (read: shows with writers and actors) left. There's a few shows I like - but I will either wait and buy the season on DVD, or stream it.

"Reality shows"? Who's reality? Swamp People? Jersey Shore? Real Housewives of Planet Stupid?

BTW - if you want music, don't bother with broadcast radio. You need to pay for satellite or an online service, unless you want the same crap played over and over between commercial marathons.

:darnkids

Dang...that is a lot of tv watching.

The prominence of "reality" shows comes down to production costs. Same thing with shows like Tje Office. Don't get me wrong, I think The Office is hilarious, but from a production standpoint, it is much cheaper to produce.

At the same time, I do think that the good shows are as good as ever. 2 Broke Girls is a pretty good sitcom. Weeds is awesome. I still enjoy Mythbusters. Clone Wars, Dexter, etc...

Dang...that is a lot of tv watching.

The prominence of "reality" shows comes down to production costs. Same thing with shows like Tje Office. Don't get me wrong, I think The Office is hilarious, but from a production standpoint, it is much cheaper to produce.

At the same time, I do think that the good shows are as good as ever. 2 Broke Girls is a pretty good sitcom. Weeds is awesome. I still enjoy Mythbusters. Clone Wars, Dexter, etc...

You know thats something i didn't realize the fact that reality TV is cheaper to produce but It just bothers me that "music Television" Doesn't play music.

Great TV shows:

Sherlock
30 Rock
Parks and Recreation
Breaking Bad
Luther
Mythbusters
Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
Top Gear
Bored To Death
Boardwalk Empire
Family Guy
Walking Dead
Mad Men
Dexter

BTW - if you want music, don't bother with broadcast radio. You need to pay for satellite or an online service, unless you want the same crap played over and over between commercial marathons.

A lot of people all over the country are discovering 89.3 The Current here in Minnesota. It has a great variety of music, and since it's public radio, there are no commercials.

The Current from Minnesota Public Radio

Dexter
Spartacus (not the same with out Andy Whitfield but still one of the best shows on tv)
Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Shameless
Curb Your Enthusiasm
those are the only shows i watch, with the exception of some Dr. Who, and original Star Trek..<---watch that when i'm in the mood for some cheesey sci fi...but no matter what still love Leonard Nimoy as Spock. As many times as i've tried never could get into "True Blood" liked the first 3 seasons of Fringe, but after Peter was gone and came back for a
4th season i quickly lost interest within the first 4 episodes. Watched the first 3 seasons of Weeds, not sure what they are up to on that show now, but may have to since right now the only 3 shows actually on that I watch is walking dead, spartacus & shameless.

Disappointed is an understatement.

When I was young (er :lol), here in Malta (70's / 80's) we used to have

- 1 State channel (load of crap .... and still is :lol)
- 3 Italian Channels that barely reached our shores.

But I used to look forward to watching Zorro, Bugs Bunny etc etc ..... in Black and white. Though the state channel did have some cool series I used to look forward to like Mission Impossible, Kung Fu, Maxwell Smart etc etc.

In the very earlier days my grandfather used to sit by my side, translating what they were saying. Maltese, English and Italian were equally second nature to us. Plus French in schools etc, and my generation spoke at least 3 or 4 languages.

Roll on to the 80's, and antennae with, wow, boosters, flood the island.

10+ Italian Channels to now choose from !

And in colour !!!!

Best were Saturday mornings ... back to back of A-Team, Knight Rider, I Dream of Jeannie re-runs and TONS of others + anime etc.

And a choice of 2 or 3 movies in the evening !

------------------------------------------------------------

So in rolls the past 20 years or so and enter cable TV & Satellite.

Kids have hundreds of channels ...... and never watch any Italian Station.

They all speak English, struggle greatly with Maltese, and have difficulty grasping the basics of French. Italian might as well be Japanese to them.

If I want to watch a movie, I have to pay extra for it. It's cheaper to just buy movies from Play and have a library.

If I want to watch a series, they are flooded with adverts. So I just buy the sets too.

I turn to any Discovery channel ..... and its the same programmes regurgitated ad nauseum. Yes, there are some good ones, but as they say, history does repeat itself :lol

Ghosts, operations, ER's, accidents, fat people and their daily lives, thin people and their daily lives, cameras in any household, shop or location you can think of, just showing ........ daily lives.

Nowadays, I switch to TV when I've finished watching a DVD, and leave it on as a background, timed for an hour, just so I can fall asleep.

------------------------------------------------------------

Disappointed is an understatement.

It was so much better, in more ways than one, 30-40 years ago.

I'm not denying that there isn't good TV shows out there just the fact that half of tv is reality TV. Like when did Reality become TV? isn't The purpose of TV not to be reality? at least I would like to believe.

I think what bugs me the most about American television shows today is the fact they insert these three and four month long breaks into the episode runs now. It really makes caring about a show hard when they seem to stop and start randomly.

I've found that for the past year the only thing I watch is DVD sets of classic TV. Mission Impossible, Boinoc woman, Six Millian Dollar man, Greatest American Hero, Bonanza, Wild Wild West, Classic Doctor Who, heck, I don't even get a TV signal in my house, only use cable for the net and never set up an antenna to get local stations, I do my news on the CNN channel.

I'm not disappointed.

The cool thing about TV now days is that you have something for just about anybody. I don't like the prevalence of "Reality" TV shows, but it's not like there aren't plenty of scripted shows still out there (and it's not even like scripted is on the decline - if anything I think "reality" shows are hitting their peak).

Reality TV is crap. TV execs love it because it's uber-cheap to produce as they don't have to pay the stars, basically at all. Worst of it all is it has nothing to do with reality. I mean, I know if I got shipwrecked somewhere, and some tool came to the island on a yacht and went back to said yacht for all his meals and to sleep at night and I was stuck on a deserted island with nothing, that TV boy would be taking me to the yacht and back to civilization or find himself stuck on the beach with nothing while I was on the yacht headed back to civilization without him.

I miss the days when places like the history channel had history programs that could teach actual history past the grade school level. Going in depth on subjects. Not anymore.

I'm more disappointed in those people who go out of their way to 'watch' that crap. They only make those shows because of those morons.

Reality TV is out of control, i seriously thought how big it was years ago that it would have settled down by now, but no luck. Still all the Singing/ Talent shows, dating shows, people losing weight shows....and the dating shows ie: the bachelor is scipted as hell, maybe not to the point to what they say, but exactly how its going to turn out and what girl will stay and which won't. Like always if there is some crazy drama queen girl on the show always causing problems with the other girls she will always stay atleast till the final 4 because they know people with nothing better to do will get all involved in the problems that girl is bringing to the show. The only thing I find funny is the talent/ singing shows when they are doing the first round of auditions, honestly you can see some reall funny s**t. I just don't get how some of these people can actually think they are good enough to go infront of america and just make the biggest fools out of themselves. You'd think they'd have better sense. Ah well, Spartacus is still on so i'm happy, as well as Shameless and Walking Dead, and April 1st Game of Thrones starts back up. Wanting it to be october already for Dexter season 7.

If I had billions of dollars I would buy all those shows and call my station TOSWWATV

The Only **** Worth Watching Anymore Television.

Great TV shows:

Sherlock
30 Rock
Parks and Recreation
Breaking Bad
Luther
Mythbusters
Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
Top Gear
Bored To Death
Boardwalk Empire
Family Guy
Walking Dead
Mad Men
Dexter

I basically only watch cartoons and 80s videos now that i don't' get H2 or military in my room. I watch the digital channels out of Cleveland that have stuff from the 50s up until the late 80s and nothing but that.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back