Anyone else disappointed in TV Now a days?

Coming from a kid who's watched TV all of his life, at least 8 hours a day for the past 16 years. I used to love watching old documentaries on the history channel but now its all pawn stars/ghosthunters/aliens, Doesn't make sense to me. The same thing with MTV, there is absolutely no music. They might as well call it MACBSTV (Modern American Culture and Bull***t Television.)

Just felt like venting my feelings and giving a couple examples.
I hate tv nowadays ...

On the one hand, yeah, I agree with you. The rise of reality TV is a blight on our world. Some of it can be interesting or entertaining, but a lot of it is just crap.

On the other hand, though, I can't help but wonder if the cheapness of reality TV and the profits it generates aren't partially responsible for the rise of some truly terrific shows. In spite of the vast oceans of crap out there, there are some islands of genuine quality with fantastic writing, acting, and production value.

Very true point. Of the far and few shows that are really amazing it may be due to this reason, but thats pretty sad they have to flood their network with s**t the rest of the time except when the good show is on.

And as far as MTV goes, that channel just makes me sick, I don't even know why they still call it Music Television. It has nothing to do with music anymore. Unless you count the music stars when they are featured on cribs or something. But otherwise that channel is only there to help young dumb kids become even dumber by watching the dumb shows on it.

But I can definitely settle down and watch some old Beavis & Butthead, atleast that had crud cheap laughs and death metal videos.

On the one hand, yeah, I agree with you. The rise of reality TV is a blight on our world. Some of it can be interesting or entertaining, but a lot of it is just crap.

On the other hand, though, I can't help but wonder if the cheapness of reality TV and the profits it generates aren't partially responsible for the rise of some truly terrific shows. In spite of the vast oceans of crap out there, there are some islands of genuine quality with fantastic writing, acting, and production value.

Sadly my disgust extends to movies, music, and the gaming industry as they're all putting out lackluster crap with a few diamonds in between.

I find myself watching more syndicated shows that I grew up with than any new stuff. And that's gonna suck for people growing up now is that when they're older, they're not gonna have many reruns of shows they watched as kids to look back on fondly. I mean, who in their right mind would watch American Idol or Jersey Shore reruns 20 years from now?

There's a ton of great shows on now. I'm not disappointed at all.

Some of the networks make bad decisions like taking Terriers off the air though.

FB

Why is SyFy showing wrestling? Sure, wrestling is fiction, but science fiction?

I love shows where they show how to do things. "This Old House", "Good Eats" (plus he uses a lot of props), and even thought it is more reality than instruction I like "Face Off".

I generally avoid the reality shows, but sometimes I get hooked until they reach such a level of stupidity I can't take it any longer. If they call it a competition where they mostly show the competition, then good. I still love "Iron Chef" and now "Worst Cooks in America". But if they show more personal drama, then bad. Look at "American Chopper". It started out good showing how a small shop designs and builds custom choppers. Now it's mostly about the messed up family of Junior, Senior, and Mikey.
I also dislike being lied to. Sons of Guns started out interesting, but have you noticed you never see Will working on a firearm? It's because he and his daughter lost their license. Now that show is about Kris and Stephanie hooking up. I don't know if he could see the business was being taken over by the show or what, but Vince was smart to leave.

Back around Thanksgiving, "South Park" (another show I like) made fun of some of the shows on the History Channel. The kids watched a special on The History Channel about the first Thanksgiving where they learned that aliens might have been there.

I really enjoy the show Community..which is on the verge of being cancelled because of low ratings. It is highly rated by critics..but just doesn't seem to get the audience because I don't think most people get it.

The best character is Abed..who sees everything as tv shows or movies.

But it's going to get cancelled and shows like the Simpsons last forever. The Big Bang Theory is good...but yeah..not much else to watch.

the simpsons is way past its due date to be canceled. seriously, they have been around for way to long and just not even funny anymore. I'd rather watch family guy over the simpsons anytime. atleast they pushed it as far as they could to keep it watchable on a local channel. The simpsons originally did the same but basically stopped and just went with whatever idea they could to make an episode and its not funny what so ever. I'll admit the movie had some hilarious moments. But again even though it didn't go to theaters, "Family Guy Presents Stewie Griffin - The Untold Story" was ten times as funny, same with their star wars spoof trilogy. Simpsons should have been gone Atleast 5 years ago. What ever happened to the 20th season being the last? well that never happened did it. South Park still remains to be funny when I catch it, they ofcourse are on cable so can push it basically as much as they want ofcourse watching their language, but another reason like family guy that they remain funny, because they push the envelope as far as they can instead of playing it completely safe.

OMG!! Your right! I never thought about that. I mean most of the shows I watch are on HBO, Shotime & Starz so those wouldn't hit another cable channel, atleast not that I know of as non have yet. Damn that will suck, there will almost be literally nothing of note to watch as re-runs. Just have to make sure to keep up with technology and have copies of the shows i love to be able to watch them in 20 years. That would be terrible if they do reruns of all these stupid reality tv shows. And as far as Jersey Shore, i've seen about 5 minutes of it to see what the hell the hype was about, needless to say didn't need to see some wanna be tough guys and girls who are the most arrogant people i've seen and immediately changed the channel. Amazing the crap that the networks put out for us to watch. Honesty, they can't be in a meeting when a show like Jersey Shore was brought to them to where they say "you know what this show will be great, it will be different and ground breaking and something a family or this age group will enjoy" they just put it them out because they know dumb people will watch them bringing their network great ratings by polluting the minds of those watching the shows. also another thing about T.V. that pissed me off even though this is long past is how Leno is still on the late night show and Conan got kicked off because his ratings weren't high enough. What the hell did they expect? when Leno took over for Carson his ratings took a while to grow, but Carson would not have came back to the show if they had pulled that then. They needed to give him more time, plus the fact Jay still overshadowed him which was not right as it was Conan's turn to rule late night, and Leno retire, but what did he do?? does a show thats the same BEFORE the news. And now what in say 5 years Leno retires again who is going to fill his shoes? Fallon? as much as i like his show and think he is doing an amazing job he too would get the boot because the older people would not watch him. TV is eff'd is so so many ways. I'll stick to watching and re-watching the select few I watch, and movies. end of
I find myself watching more syndicated shows that t I grew up with than any new stuff. And that's gonna suck for people growing up now is that when they're older, they're not gonna have many reruns of shows they watched as kids to look back on fondly. I mean, who in their right mind would watch American Idol or Jersey Shore reruns 20 years from now?

I like crappy TV...it gives me a reason to:
A) Shut off the TV and go play
B) Shut off the TV and play Xbox
C) Shut off the TV and do something else

Except for Clone Wars, I haven't watched anything regularly for more than 5 years at this point. I don't think I've missed much.

I find channels like History Channel 2 or MTV 2 somewhat more entertaining that the regular channels also enjoy Vh1 classic along with fuel, shame it cost so much to keep though.

I think the more focused channels that launched in the early 90s have certainly degraded to the point of having almost nothing to do with their original concepts. Sci-Fi/SyFy, History, Discovery, TLC, MTV (granted, launched in the 80s), and so on have all become these bizarre collections of reality shows that are -- if you're lucky -- occasionally sprinkled with bits of the original material folks tuned in for. But that's, I think, due to a lot of their "niche" market being taken over by other channels with bigger budgets, and them not being able to compete.

I mean, take The Walking Dead, for example. You'd expect to see that on Sci-Fi, right? But no, it's on AMC. AMC!! Which, traditionally, is that channel showing a lot of B&W movies you've never heard of. Likewise, HBO is showing Game of Thrones, which, to be fair, I wouldn't expect to see on "free" cable in a million years due to the graphic content, but still. You'd figure Sci-Fi would've covered that one too.

Or take The Tudors or The Borgias on Showtime. Perfect fodder for the History Channel, right? Well, minus the boobies, but you could edit that stuff.

The thing is, channels like Sci-Fi and History were ALWAYS low budget channels. And there's only so many times History can talk about the same old WWII footage or whathaveyou, and they're not likely to get deep into historical analysis because that'd almost guarantee people tune out.

So, what we're seeing now is a lot of the stuff that "niche" channels used to do -- which nobody had much interest in anyway -- being taken over by the bigger budget channels that can do 'em up right. This, incidentally, is why I think that there's a lot of good to be found on TV. Plenty of crap, sure, but a lot of good stuff too.

I gave up worrying too much about the name of the network a show airs on. With DVR and on demand it matters less and less when or where a show airs.

As far as quality goes I really can't say I'm disappointed either. I think there is more than enough good TV on right now to keep me busy and my evening TV time filled.

Why is SyFy showing wrestling? Sure, wrestling is fiction, but science fiction?

Well, the business answer is because it's a part of NBC universal, of which WWE does its TV business (USA is also part of NBC Universal which carries WWE's flagship RAW show).

The other answer is because it's one of their highest rated shows.

There's more good TV out there than I have time to watch, but I only watch one or two hours a day and I cherry pick. I also took a good year or three off watching television almost entirely. I reckon if I watched eight hours a day, I'd get down to the dregs as well.

I don't weep for my kid's childhood, either - if you can afford to use DVR or Netflix or similar to pick your content, they get a much higher quality of stuff than we did. Hell, I sat down with her to watch Scooby Doo, and it had a freakin' serial story arc. There was character development.

Last edited:
I think the problem is that with all the channels we have now (i've got 250+ on DTV) the amount of crap is magnified because the amount of quality shows has rarely gone up over the years. Meanwhile the crap just continues to increase.

NBC needs to take some cues from USA. USA is on an unreal streak of coming up with good shows. I can't remember they last failure they had. It's been a long time. Granted, they aren't doing 30 shows a year like a big network, but in their 2ish new shows a year, they find more good stuff than most major networks do their whole 30 show slates.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back