Anyone else disappointed in TV Now a days?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Scottryan15, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Scottryan15

Scottryan15 Well-Known Member

Coming from a kid who's watched TV all of his life, at least 8 hours a day for the past 16 years. I used to love watching old documentaries on the history channel but now its all pawn stars/ghosthunters/aliens, Doesn't make sense to me. The same thing with MTV, there is absolutely no music. They might as well call it MACBSTV (Modern American Culture and Bull***t Television.)

Just felt like venting my feelings and giving a couple examples.
    I hate tv nowadays ...

2. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

Yep. Very little entertainment (read: shows with writers and actors) left. There's a few shows I like - but I will either wait and buy the season on DVD, or stream it.

"Reality shows"? Who's reality? Swamp People? Jersey Shore? Real Housewives of Planet Stupid?

BTW - if you want music, don't bother with broadcast radio. You need to pay for satellite or an online service, unless you want the same crap played over and over between commercial marathons.

:darnkids

3. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

Dang...that is a lot of tv watching.

The prominence of "reality" shows comes down to production costs. Same thing with shows like Tje Office. Don't get me wrong, I think The Office is hilarious, but from a production standpoint, it is much cheaper to produce.

At the same time, I do think that the good shows are as good as ever. 2 Broke Girls is a pretty good sitcom. Weeds is awesome. I still enjoy Mythbusters. Clone Wars, Dexter, etc...

4. Scottryan15

You know thats something i didn't realize the fact that reality TV is cheaper to produce but It just bothers me that "music Television" Doesn't play music.

5. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Great TV shows:

Sherlock
    30 Rock
    Parks and Recreation
    Breaking Bad
    Luther
    Mythbusters
    Big Bang Theory
    How I Met Your Mother
    Top Gear
    Bored To Death
    Boardwalk Empire
    Family Guy
    Walking Dead
    Mad Men
    Dexter

6. BAK55

BAK55 Well-Known Member

BTW - if you want music, don't bother with broadcast radio. You need to pay for satellite or an online service, unless you want the same crap played over and over between commercial marathons.

A lot of people all over the country are discovering 89.3 The Current here in Minnesota. It has a great variety of music, and since it's public radio, there are no commercials.

The Current from Minnesota Public Radio

7. Rbeato

Rbeato Sr Member

Dexter
    Spartacus (not the same with out Andy Whitfield but still one of the best shows on tv)
    Walking Dead
    Breaking Bad
    Game of Thrones
    Shameless
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    those are the only shows i watch, with the exception of some Dr. Who, and original Star Trek..<---watch that when i'm in the mood for some cheesey sci fi...but no matter what still love Leonard Nimoy as Spock. As many times as i've tried never could get into "True Blood" liked the first 3 seasons of Fringe, but after Peter was gone and came back for a
    4th season i quickly lost interest within the first 4 episodes. Watched the first 3 seasons of Weeds, not sure what they are up to on that show now, but may have to since right now the only 3 shows actually on that I watch is walking dead, spartacus & shameless.

8. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Disappointed is an understatement.

When I was young (er :lol), here in Malta (70's / 80's) we used to have

- 1 State channel (load of crap .... and still is :lol)
    - 3 Italian Channels that barely reached our shores.

But I used to look forward to watching Zorro, Bugs Bunny etc etc ..... in Black and white. Though the state channel did have some cool series I used to look forward to like Mission Impossible, Kung Fu, Maxwell Smart etc etc.

In the very earlier days my grandfather used to sit by my side, translating what they were saying. Maltese, English and Italian were equally second nature to us. Plus French in schools etc, and my generation spoke at least 3 or 4 languages.

Roll on to the 80's, and antennae with, wow, boosters, flood the island.

10+ Italian Channels to now choose from !

And in colour !!!!

Best were Saturday mornings ... back to back of A-Team, Knight Rider, I Dream of Jeannie re-runs and TONS of others + anime etc.

And a choice of 2 or 3 movies in the evening !

------------------------------------------------------------

So in rolls the past 20 years or so and enter cable TV & Satellite.

Kids have hundreds of channels ...... and never watch any Italian Station.

They all speak English, struggle greatly with Maltese, and have difficulty grasping the basics of French. Italian might as well be Japanese to them.

If I want to watch a movie, I have to pay extra for it. It's cheaper to just buy movies from Play and have a library.

If I want to watch a series, they are flooded with adverts. So I just buy the sets too.

I turn to any Discovery channel ..... and its the same programmes regurgitated ad nauseum. Yes, there are some good ones, but as they say, history does repeat itself :lol

Ghosts, operations, ER's, accidents, fat people and their daily lives, thin people and their daily lives, cameras in any household, shop or location you can think of, just showing ........ daily lives.

Nowadays, I switch to TV when I've finished watching a DVD, and leave it on as a background, timed for an hour, just so I can fall asleep.

------------------------------------------------------------

Disappointed is an understatement.

It was so much better, in more ways than one, 30-40 years ago.

9. Scottryan15

I'm not denying that there isn't good TV shows out there just the fact that half of tv is reality TV. Like when did Reality become TV? isn't The purpose of TV not to be reality? at least I would like to believe.

10. AnotherChris

AnotherChris New Member

I think what bugs me the most about American television shows today is the fact they insert these three and four month long breaks into the episode runs now. It really makes caring about a show hard when they seem to stop and start randomly.

11. Lost21stJedi

Lost21stJedi Well-Known Member

I only watch The Walking Dead and The Big Bang Theory, otherwise if the tv is on, it's usually as background noise

12. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

I've found that for the past year the only thing I watch is DVD sets of classic TV. Mission Impossible, Boinoc woman, Six Millian Dollar man, Greatest American Hero, Bonanza, Wild Wild West, Classic Doctor Who, heck, I don't even get a TV signal in my house, only use cable for the net and never set up an antenna to get local stations, I do my news on the CNN channel.

13. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

I'm not disappointed.

The cool thing about TV now days is that you have something for just about anybody. I don't like the prevalence of "Reality" TV shows, but it's not like there aren't plenty of scripted shows still out there (and it's not even like scripted is on the decline - if anything I think "reality" shows are hitting their peak).

14. cboath

cboath Master Member

Reality TV is crap. TV execs love it because it's uber-cheap to produce as they don't have to pay the stars, basically at all. Worst of it all is it has nothing to do with reality. I mean, I know if I got shipwrecked somewhere, and some tool came to the island on a yacht and went back to said yacht for all his meals and to sleep at night and I was stuck on a deserted island with nothing, that TV boy would be taking me to the yacht and back to civilization or find himself stuck on the beach with nothing while I was on the yacht headed back to civilization without him.

I miss the days when places like the history channel had history programs that could teach actual history past the grade school level. Going in depth on subjects. Not anymore.

15. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I'm more disappointed in those people who go out of their way to 'watch' that crap. They only make those shows because of those morons.

16. Rbeato

Rbeato Sr Member

Reality TV is out of control, i seriously thought how big it was years ago that it would have settled down by now, but no luck. Still all the Singing/ Talent shows, dating shows, people losing weight shows....and the dating shows ie: the bachelor is scipted as hell, maybe not to the point to what they say, but exactly how its going to turn out and what girl will stay and which won't. Like always if there is some crazy drama queen girl on the show always causing problems with the other girls she will always stay atleast till the final 4 because they know people with nothing better to do will get all involved in the problems that girl is bringing to the show. The only thing I find funny is the talent/ singing shows when they are doing the first round of auditions, honestly you can see some reall funny s**t. I just don't get how some of these people can actually think they are good enough to go infront of america and just make the biggest fools out of themselves. You'd think they'd have better sense. Ah well, Spartacus is still on so i'm happy, as well as Shameless and Walking Dead, and April 1st Game of Thrones starts back up. Wanting it to be october already for Dexter season 7.

17. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

If I had billions of dollars I would buy all those shows and call my station TOSWWATV

The Only **** Worth Watching Anymore Television.

18. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I basically only watch cartoons and 80s videos now that i don't' get H2 or military in my room. I watch the digital channels out of Cleveland that have stuff from the 50s up until the late 80s and nothing but that.

19. TaylorMcManus

TaylorMcManus Well-Known Member

I don't watch much TV, but I really like Pawn Stars and shows like that. All the MTV reality shows are horrible though haha.

20. Scottryan15

I've been watching alot of Old Beavis and Butthead, Can't get better than that ;)

21. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

On the one hand, yeah, I agree with you. The rise of reality TV is a blight on our world. Some of it can be interesting or entertaining, but a lot of it is just crap.

On the other hand, though, I can't help but wonder if the cheapness of reality TV and the profits it generates aren't partially responsible for the rise of some truly terrific shows. In spite of the vast oceans of crap out there, there are some islands of genuine quality with fantastic writing, acting, and production value.

22. Rbeato

Rbeato Sr Member

Very true point. Of the far and few shows that are really amazing it may be due to this reason, but thats pretty sad they have to flood their network with s**t the rest of the time except when the good show is on.

And as far as MTV goes, that channel just makes me sick, I don't even know why they still call it Music Television. It has nothing to do with music anymore. Unless you count the music stars when they are featured on cribs or something. But otherwise that channel is only there to help young dumb kids become even dumber by watching the dumb shows on it.

But I can definitely settle down and watch some old Beavis & Butthead, atleast that had crud cheap laughs and death metal videos.

23. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

Alan -

Welcome to America! :lol

24. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Sadly my disgust extends to movies, music, and the gaming industry as they're all putting out lackluster crap with a few diamonds in between.

25. BornKilr

BornKilr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I find myself watching more syndicated shows that I grew up with than any new stuff. And that's gonna suck for people growing up now is that when they're older, they're not gonna have many reruns of shows they watched as kids to look back on fondly. I mean, who in their right mind would watch American Idol or Jersey Shore reruns 20 years from now?

26. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

There's a ton of great shows on now. I'm not disappointed at all.

Some of the networks make bad decisions like taking Terriers off the air though.

FB

27. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Why is SyFy showing wrestling? Sure, wrestling is fiction, but science fiction?

I love shows where they show how to do things. "This Old House", "Good Eats" (plus he uses a lot of props), and even thought it is more reality than instruction I like "Face Off".

I generally avoid the reality shows, but sometimes I get hooked until they reach such a level of stupidity I can't take it any longer. If they call it a competition where they mostly show the competition, then good. I still love "Iron Chef" and now "Worst Cooks in America". But if they show more personal drama, then bad. Look at "American Chopper". It started out good showing how a small shop designs and builds custom choppers. Now it's mostly about the messed up family of Junior, Senior, and Mikey.
    I also dislike being lied to. Sons of Guns started out interesting, but have you noticed you never see Will working on a firearm? It's because he and his daughter lost their license. Now that show is about Kris and Stephanie hooking up. I don't know if he could see the business was being taken over by the show or what, but Vince was smart to leave.

Back around Thanksgiving, "South Park" (another show I like) made fun of some of the shows on the History Channel. The kids watched a special on The History Channel about the first Thanksgiving where they learned that aliens might have been there.

28. hankey01

hankey01 Sr Member

I really enjoy the show Community..which is on the verge of being cancelled because of low ratings. It is highly rated by critics..but just doesn't seem to get the audience because I don't think most people get it.

The best character is Abed..who sees everything as tv shows or movies.

But it's going to get cancelled and shows like the Simpsons last forever. The Big Bang Theory is good...but yeah..not much else to watch.

29. Rbeato

Rbeato Sr Member

the simpsons is way past its due date to be canceled. seriously, they have been around for way to long and just not even funny anymore. I'd rather watch family guy over the simpsons anytime. atleast they pushed it as far as they could to keep it watchable on a local channel. The simpsons originally did the same but basically stopped and just went with whatever idea they could to make an episode and its not funny what so ever. I'll admit the movie had some hilarious moments. But again even though it didn't go to theaters, "Family Guy Presents Stewie Griffin - The Untold Story" was ten times as funny, same with their star wars spoof trilogy. Simpsons should have been gone Atleast 5 years ago. What ever happened to the 20th season being the last? well that never happened did it. South Park still remains to be funny when I catch it, they ofcourse are on cable so can push it basically as much as they want ofcourse watching their language, but another reason like family guy that they remain funny, because they push the envelope as far as they can instead of playing it completely safe.

30. Rbeato

Rbeato Sr Member

OMG!! Your right! I never thought about that. I mean most of the shows I watch are on HBO, Shotime & Starz so those wouldn't hit another cable channel, atleast not that I know of as non have yet. * that will suck, there will almost be literally nothing of note to watch as re-runs. Just have to make sure to keep up with technology and have copies of the shows i love to be able to watch them in 20 years. That would be terrible if they do reruns of all these stupid reality tv shows. And as far as Jersey Shore, i've seen about 5 minutes of it to see what the hell the hype was about, needless to say didn't need to see some wanna be tough guys and girls who are the most arrogant people i've seen and immediately changed the channel. Amazing the crap that the networks put out for us to watch. Honesty, they can't be in a meeting when a show like Jersey Shore was brought to them to where they say "you know what this show will be great, it will be different and ground breaking and something a family or this age group will enjoy" they just put it them out because they know dumb people will watch them bringing their network great ratings by polluting the minds of those watching the shows. also another thing about T.V. that * me off even though this is long past is how Leno is still on the late night show and Conan got kicked off because his ratings weren't high enough. What the hell did they expect? when Leno took over for Carson his ratings took a while to grow, but Carson would not have came back to the show if they had pulled that then. They needed to give him more time, plus the fact Jay still overshadowed him which was not right as it was Conan's turn to rule late night, and Leno retire, but what did he do?? does a show thats the same BEFORE the news. And now what in say 5 years Leno retires again who is going to fill his shoes? Fallon? as much as i like his show and think he is doing an amazing job he too would get the boot because the older people would not watch him. TV is eff'd is so so many ways. I'll stick to watching and re-watching the select few I watch, and movies. end of

31. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

I like crappy TV...it gives me a reason to:
    A) Shut off the TV and go play
    B) Shut off the TV and play Xbox
    C) Shut off the TV and do something else

32. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

Except for Clone Wars, I haven't watched anything regularly for more than 5 years at this point. I don't think I've missed much.

33. Scottryan15

I find channels like History Channel 2 or MTV 2 somewhat more entertaining that the regular channels also enjoy Vh1 classic along with fuel, shame it cost so much to keep though.

34. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I think the more focused channels that launched in the early 90s have certainly degraded to the point of having almost nothing to do with their original concepts. Sci-Fi/SyFy, History, Discovery, TLC, MTV (granted, launched in the 80s), and so on have all become these bizarre collections of reality shows that are -- if you're lucky -- occasionally sprinkled with bits of the original material folks tuned in for. But that's, I think, due to a lot of their "niche" market being taken over by other channels with bigger budgets, and them not being able to compete.

I mean, take The Walking Dead, for example. You'd expect to see that on Sci-Fi, right? But no, it's on AMC. AMC!! Which, traditionally, is that channel showing a lot of B&W movies you've never heard of. Likewise, HBO is showing Game of Thrones, which, to be fair, I wouldn't expect to see on "free" cable in a million years due to the graphic content, but still. You'd figure Sci-Fi would've covered that one too.

Or take The Tudors or The Borgias on Showtime. Perfect fodder for the History Channel, right? Well, minus the boobies, but you could edit that stuff.

The thing is, channels like Sci-Fi and History were ALWAYS low budget channels. And there's only so many times History can talk about the same old WWII footage or whathaveyou, and they're not likely to get deep into historical analysis because that'd almost guarantee people tune out.

So, what we're seeing now is a lot of the stuff that "niche" channels used to do -- which nobody had much interest in anyway -- being taken over by the bigger budget channels that can do 'em up right. This, incidentally, is why I think that there's a lot of good to be found on TV. Plenty of crap, sure, but a lot of good stuff too.

35. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

I gave up worrying too much about the name of the network a show airs on. With DVR and on demand it matters less and less when or where a show airs.

As far as quality goes I really can't say I'm disappointed either. I think there is more than enough good TV on right now to keep me busy and my evening TV time filled.

36. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

Well, the business answer is because it's a part of NBC universal, of which WWE does its TV business (USA is also part of NBC Universal which carries WWE's flagship RAW show).

The other answer is because it's one of their highest rated shows.

37. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

8 hrs a day? :eek

Put down that remote and walk away!

38. Shendorion

Shendorion Well-Known Member

There's more good TV out there than I have time to watch, but I only watch one or two hours a day and I cherry pick. I also took a good year or three off watching television almost entirely. I reckon if I watched eight hours a day, I'd get down to the dregs as well.

I don't weep for my kid's childhood, either - if you can afford to use DVR or Netflix or similar to pick your content, they get a much higher quality of stuff than we did. Hell, I sat down with her to watch Scooby Doo, and it had a freakin' serial story arc. There was character development.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  39. letmebestormy

letmebestormy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No doubt. My math may be off but I think he has spent nearly 5 and ½ years of his life watching tv.

Seems incredulous he could be unhappy with it.

40. cboath

cboath Master Member

I think the problem is that with all the channels we have now (i've got 250+ on DTV) the amount of crap is magnified because the amount of quality shows has rarely gone up over the years. Meanwhile the crap just continues to increase.

NBC needs to take some cues from USA. USA is on an unreal streak of coming up with good shows. I can't remember they last failure they had. It's been a long time. Granted, they aren't doing 30 shows a year like a big network, but in their 2ish new shows a year, they find more good stuff than most major networks do their whole 30 show slates.

41. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

USA network IS NBC.

42. Scottryan15

Hahah thats a little exaggerated but I'm pretty busy with sports and school but still it is kind of a lot.

43. cboath

cboath Master Member

I know they own it, but somehow USA can put out good shows one after another, yet somehow NBC itself wouldn't know a good show if it jumped up and kicked them in the balls.

44. Drewid

Drewid Well-Known Member

There are two key differences between USA and NBC. From the USA Networks home page, they only have 10 original series. NBC has about 30. Each USA program releases about 13 episodes per season while the typical production of a "broadcast network" series is ~22 episodes. Program execs, writers, and producers get that much more time to get things right. USA is more like the BBC than it is NBC.

45. Scottryan15

Honestly, i turned on my local Channel guide and all reality shows are supposed to be purple and Pretty much every show was purple...

46. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

I still enjoy 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, and The Office.