Anyone build a Matsuo Galactica S1 kit?

jheilman

Sr Member
I've had this excellent kit for years and finally decided to revisit it. I had previously cut down an airsoft 357 to fit inside for the trigger pull and revolving cylinder. It fits and rotates, but that's where I stopped.

Not sure where this kit falls in the timeline of his kits. It is not a true clambshel kit. Think those came later? It has one main body piece that nestles under the revolver, a top piece, separate launcher, a cover for the front of the trigger guard, safety switches and two-piece faux wood grain grips. It has the aluminum dusted exterior.

Questions I have are:

Superglue or JB Weld the pieces together? There are a number of screws that came with it, but except for the grips, not sure where to use them. Wouldn't the real grips have had an attaching screw on both sides rather than a single screw? Should I fake a screw head on one side? Is there a way to make the safety movable or just glue it on and leave it?

I searched for a build thread of this kit with no luck. If someone has a build thread elsewhere, I'd love to see it.

Can post pics of the kit tonight if that would help.

Thanks.

OK, here are the kit parts.

matsuo01.jpg

And here's roughly what it will look like assembled.

matsuo02.jpg

The kit also came with a modified casting of a Colt 357 with moving trigger. I opted for the airsoft to also have the revolving cylinder which is seen through the side opening. Seriously considering a Denix 357 to add some heft and metal.

I bought this off a fellow board member. The safety switches were missing, but Matt sent me a spare set.

I'm thinking about selling my finished gun. Does anyone know what the going rate is on these.

That looks real nice.
Personally I don't use Superglue.
And I'd it were me, I would add screws to both sides of the grips.

I've built a number of these, a large number lol I highly suggest using the screws, in case you need to take it apart at a later date, or use the screws, and use a small bit of glue, or preferably apoxy along with them. The grips are highly accurate to the "starbuck" version later seen, I prefer them over the stock grips, but everyone has there own preferences. The grips are meant to have one screw, and a nut holding them together on the other side, thats how Matt made them, and unless you plan on making the side selector switches move, you could just glue them down, but I would use the screws as well, just to give it a better look.

OK, makes sense. I'll need to hit the hardware store to get the needed pieces to attach the grips.

Did you use an airsoft as the internal gun, a Denix, or a real gun?

As I recall from the past, the painting and weathering is what makes these kits. So a light coating of the body color and then subtle removal to reveal the aluminum/resin at the edges. Any advice on painting would be much appreciated.

I built one of Matsuo's mini series versions, but basically the parts are the same.

I used an airsoft instead of the casting. The one thing about it was that depending on the airsoft ( or other replica), you may not have any idea how it is assembled (they often are not made to disassemble the same as the real counterpart). For instance, the screw in the grips were not a real screws, just part of the design. The grips really went on as a two piece snap together. Additionally, the air pressure tank of the airsoft was under the grip which means you have to disassemble that part in able to slide the grip's through the body. The problem was that in the process, I screwed up the trigger because all the part flew out and I did not know how it went back together. I did however use the space where the air tank was to replace with a roll of pennies for added weight.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back