Anybody know what sound chip Nick Robatto uses in his Fourth Doctor sonic?

noofficial

I just recently got a custom classic sonic from Russ at RB, and I know he doesn't like do deal with the electronics much anymore. Looking to maybe install my own soundchip. Does anyone know what the setup is on the Rubbertoe Fourth Doctor sonic?

I don't know about the Rubbertoe one, but some people have used the electronics from the Character Options toy. You can use the 3rd Doctor, 4th Doctor, or 5th Doctor model.

I don't know about the Rubbertoe one, but some people have used the electronics from the Character Options toy. You can use the 3rd Doctor, 4th Doctor, or 5th Doctor model.

Oh wow, that had not occurred to me! I have a CO Fourth Doctor sonic. Any suggestions on the best way to take it apart?

Yep! I have the Rubbertoe Sonic and it uses the electronics from the Character Options Sonic (I also have a CO Sonic).

Oh interesting! So would you say the internals of the Robatto sonic mirror the internals of the CO sonic?

Very good question and I'm afraid I don't know -- but I suspect that they aren't. I've not disassembled the CO Sonic but have seen it done in threads in the past where people have chopped them up to use the sound modules for their fan-made replicas.

I haven't taken my RT Sonic apart except for briefly when I first received it. There was an issue with the battery compartment, taken from the CO Sonic but modified into a single removable unit, not holding the batteries in place. I folded up a small piece of paper and placed it against the batteries so that they wouldn't pop out. Here's a youtube video (not mine) that shows how it comes apart starting at 5:50

Last edited:
Very good question and I'm afraid I don't know -- but I suspect that they aren't. I've not disassembled the CO Sonic but have seen it done in threads in the past where people have chopped them up to use the sound modules for their fan-made replicas.

I haven't taken my RT Sonic apart except for briefly when I first received it. There was an issue with the battery compartment, taken from the CO Sonic but modified into a single removable unit, not holding the batteries in place. I folded up a small piece of paper and placed it against the batteries so that they wouldn't pop out. Here's a youtube video (not mine) that shows how it comes apart starting at 5:50

Interesting. It looks like the CO sound chip employs a little "stick" that pushes down onto the sound chip button.

I've seen Stephen (Votesaxon07) take apart his RB War Doctor sonic, and it would seem that, if the internal pole isn't installed like the War sonic, that it should fit snugly within the base of the RB Four sonic.

(Video for reference, disassembly starts at 1:54)

So as an update (to anyone interested), I took apart my old Fourth Doctor toy. I'm not sure if it was a CO model or not, but it took a while, and once all was said and done....

It looked nothing like the one in the Rubbertoe sonic... So back to square one. I might go online and buy two CO Four sonics (one to keep, one to tear apart) and see if the sound chip in that looks different than my old (destroyed) one.

As a positive aside, I have a new Fifth Doctor destroyed sonic screwdriver prop replica project on my hands now!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back