Anybody know how to make Nasa Emu spacesuit?

Project SPEVA

So I'm doing a project for engineering and i need to make an helmet for the emu spacesuit. Problem is i have no idea the size of the helmet, or how to make it. Can anybody help me out?

So...you’re new to the RPF and you come on asking how to build a very complicated prop from the ground up and you don’t even have a plan? You might as well come on and say, “I want to build a car but I have no idea how. Can someone help me out?”

How about you spend some time reading and studying the RPF and maybe doing some builds? Then when you have some experience maybe you can come back later and ask SPECIFIC questions that we may be able to help with?

So...you’re new to the RPF and you come on asking how to build a very complicated prop from the ground up and you don’t even have a plan? You might as well come on and say, “I want to build a car but I have no idea how. Can someone help me out?”

How about you spend some time reading and studying the RPF and maybe doing some builds? Then when you have some experience maybe you can come back later and ask SPECIFIC questions that we may be able to help with?
K. I just wanted info on how to make or where i could buy one.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    29.9 KB · Views: 130
There's various threads related to spacesuit construction on this site. Do a search and read a couple of them. Maybe if you ask questions there you'll get a more informative response.

So I'm doing a project for engineering and i need to make an helmet for the emu spacesuit. Problem is i have no idea the size of the helmet, or how to make it. Can anybody help me out?

While the question might seem simple, the answer really is not.
Space helmets are complicated pieces of equipment and have complex shapes.

I think the reason, that some members are really not that keen on answering is that you will have to ask the right questions and/or provide more information.

What is the helmet for?
Ist it just a prop, a costume, does it have to provide lifesupport?
How detailed/realistic does it have to be?
To what tools do you have access to?
Powertools, 3D printer, Vacuforming, Papermache?
Whats your skill level?

I would start by explaining what you are trying to do and I'm sure someone will help.

Reading the threads in this forum is really a good start. You'll figure out many things by looking at the solutions and mistakes of others. But there will be no "right" or quick way.

I'm not a big fan of putting the newbie in their place and I'm sure there are people here willing to help. Don't get frustrated.

While the question might seem simple, the answer really is not.
Space helmets are complicated pieces of equipment and have complex shapes.

I think the reason, that some members are really not that keen on answering is that you will have to ask the right questions and/or provide more information.

What is the helmet for?
Ist it just a prop, a costume, does it have to provide lifesupport?
How detailed/realistic does it have to be?
To what tools do you have access to?
Powertools, 3D printer, Vacuforming, Papermache?
Whats your skill level?

I would start by explaining what you are trying to do and I'm sure someone will help.

Reading the threads in this forum is really a good start. You'll figure out many things by looking at the solutions and mistakes of others. But there will be no "right" or quick way.

I'm not a big fan of putting the newbie in their place and I'm sure there are people here willing to help. Don't get frustrated.
Ah, thank you so much for that. So would this be more useful if i stated this with it?

I am an engineering student and we are trying to add a system to the helmets, it is just a prop that fits on a real suit, but it does not need to be functional at all. i have access to a CNC machine, 3-D printers, vacuum former, and any tools my school doesn't provide, i have friends who are willing to let me use tools. It doesn't have to be super detailed. Only thing that has to be accurate is the ring connector. We are new to making props and such, but my group has experience in general construction, and welding. This is why we are also interested in buying a helmet too.

I have been working on one for a while.
The one in the back and the fabric parts came as a kit from Global Effects.
Ryan Nagata supplied the bubble helmet.

The other parts I either built from scratch, or constructed and printed a 3D model of, including helmet and visors, new PLSS, new helmet, new DCM and functional helmet connect and functional wrist connects (bottom center).
I may eventually have some spare parts available for sale.

EMU_parts_02.jpg

hello, congratulations for your stuff
im searching for some source of apollo A7L sewing patterns and mechanism description of neck ring, wrist ring and gas connectos.
thanks

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back