Anybody have a good solution for mounting/wiring LED lighting to light models?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

peanutismint

I've bought and wired some NeoPixel LED units from Adafruit and I'm controlling them using an ESP8266 microcontroller running a lighting system called WLED. The next step for me is figuring out a way to neatly route the wiring back to the microcontroller as well as mounting the lights on some kind of heavy-base stands that will keep them pointing where I want them.

They're just tiny little LED boards so hardly take anything to hold them up, but I'm having trouble figuring out a way to neatly focus them onto my model, as well as how to run power/data wires back to my main board without having a mess of cables on my shelving.

Anyone had experience with any of this before? I'm guessing maybe some wires with 3-pin JST connectors would help to keep them modular, wrapped in black heatshrink or similar to make them a bit less conspicuous on my shelving, but wondering if there's a good trick I haven't yet thought of to achieve all this neatly??

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

testsqa

Depending on the number of leds you are using and the usage pattern, you may be able to get away with using a USB battery pack. The battery will allow you to hide everything behind the model. You may need a 3.3v regulator for the esp8266.

nkg

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Those wires and components aren’t fussy. You could position them the way you want, tape them temporarily, and put a dab of epoxy to hold it permanently.

peanutismint

Thanks guys, but I'm really asking about specifically how to mount lights (like are there any arms/stands that exist to hold/focus LEDs), and also could you suggest any wiring/connectors that would help me to make this a truly modular setup?

testsqa

You might want to consider a small torque friction hinge. Aim the LED up/down by opening/closing the hinge. Pivot the hinge on the mounting screw to aim left/right.

If you need to narrow the beam, you might want to consider mounting a 30 or 60 degress lense on to of the LED.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.