Anybody else think Tim Burton and Johnny Depp should take a break from each other?

Re: Anybody else think Tim Burton and Johnny Depp should take a break from each other

Alice in Wonderland
Sweeney Todd

One more and we'll have to nuke the whole site from orbit, just to be sure.

Re: Anybody else think Tim Burton and Johnny Depp should take a break from each other

I loved Sweeney Todd. I think it was the best musical adaptation in a long time as well as being the best Tim Burton movie in a while.

The real problem is that Tim Burton obviously doesn't care about most of the movies he's making lately. Sweeney Todd came out much better because he actually had an intense interest in making it.

My two cents. I don't care who's in it, I care that he cares because when he doesn't, they stink.

I like this thread. I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

I had a discussion with a few friends last week about this. They are all "fans" - I was outnumbered, and didn't have anywhere to turn.

Then they pulled Danny Elfman into the convo and I pretty much had to leave the room.

The stuff annoys the **** outta me.

TOTALLY sick of the Burton/Depp pairing. Creativity demands change every once in a while. You work with the same person over and over and over and over and over again...starts to get a little stale.

Another vote for including Elfman. Bom bom bom bom, diddly diddly diddly ****ing diddly. That guy has been phoning it in for twenty freakin' years.

The only Burton/Depp movies I liked are Edward Scissorhands and Sleepy Hollow. Other than that, I like Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride and that's about it.

It really is getting old and predictable. Burton lost his touch long ago.

I would REALLY like it if Tim Burton took a break from making 'Tim Burton' movies. They were great in the eighties and nineties when Hot Topic was all the rage, and the feel of his films was edgy and different.

Now I CRINGE at films like 'Alice and Wonderland.'

'Futterwacking', anyone? Talk about a moment that just drops you right out of an already overwrought movie. I mean, I could hear the needle ripping off my mental vinyl, and 'Alice' was had already exhausted my B.S.-O-Meter.

And for that matter, Danny Elfman needs to cut the cord on Burton as well. I like all of these artists. They are geniuses FOR SURE. Heck, the Tim Burton exhibit at the LACMA this last year in Los Angeles alone was a testament to his brilliance. But dang if it doesn't feel like the SAME FILM being made over and over. Same stripey socks. Same Colleen Atwood. Same Ooompah-oompah Danny Elfman score. Same Johnny Depp screeching over everything.

Remember 'Ed Wood'?

I sure as heck do. That movie was good and stuff. And totally Tim Burton without being 'TIM BURTON'.

I don't care what anyone says, I think they make some great movies together. Burton seems to work really well with screenwriters, too. I think he got some great work out of John August on Charlie and Linda Woolverton on Alice.

People ***** about the "weirdness for the sake of weirdness" but I never saw either of those movies in that way. The aesthetic of each was in service of the story being told, at least to my eyes.

I gave up on the pair after the Willy Wonka traveshamockery. The child in me was so excited to see that movie when it came out, and all they did was stab that little child to death.

No one else liked Sweeney Todd? I was lucky enough to catch the revival in NY and I thought the movie was a very faithful adaptation.

No one else liked Sweeney Todd? I was lucky enough to catch the revival in NY and I thought the movie was a very faithful adaptation.

You kidding me? I loved Sweeney Todd. Caught it in 70mm at the Cinerama Dome.

Burton was there for a Q&A, and some snobby fan of the musical asks a very condescending and rude question to him. He was very clearly uncomfortable, not knowing how to answer, mumbling things like, "I tried to make the best, uh ..." The room goes silent, you could hear a pin drop.

So I scream out at the top of my lungs, "THE MOVIE'S PERFECT." The whole audience starts clapping, and Tim looks in my direction, points at me and says, "Thanks, man."

I may have told that story here before, but I think it's a pretty good one.

That's an AWESOME story. There are a few things the "snobs" can say about the film, but essentially it is very faithful. There is actually less humor in the film which is surprising considering Burton's inclination toward camp humor. Definitely his strongest work in a while.

I was actually listening to an NPR segment on big-screen musical adaptations. If memory serves, the consensus was that there are not many successful adaptations but Sweeney Todd was among the best.

Most movie musicals forget to be movies.
No such problem with Sweeney Todd. It's so perfectly suited to evoke the visual motifs of classic horror and silent film. Marry that with Burton's cinematic sense of space and blocking, and you've got something really special in my opinion.

Yeah. That ending is classic. I loved walking out of the theater with that. Especially since so much of the general audience was completely bewildered.

BTW. To people hating on Elfman, give him a break he's going deaf.

Last edited by a moderator:

You kidding me? I loved Sweeney Todd. Caught it in 70mm at the Cinerama Dome.

Burton was there for a Q&A, and some snobby fan of the musical asks a very condescending and rude question to him. He was very clearly uncomfortable, not knowing how to answer, mumbling things like, "I tried to make the best, uh ..." The room goes silent, you could hear a pin drop.

So I scream out at the top of my lungs, "THE MOVIE'S PERFECT." The whole audience starts clapping, and Tim looks in my direction, points at me and says, "Thanks, man."

I may have told that story here before, but I think it's a pretty good one.
Nice save.

Haven't seen the movie, so don't know how faithful or whatnot it is... heck, don't even know the story. Just see no need to publicly humiliate someone just trying to entertain people with what he creates - save that for forums.

I think a lot of people who didn't enjoy Sweeny Todd didn't know the story before going into the movie, and so they just saw "another Burton movie," not realizing that ANYONE else doing that movie would have been a mistake. I honestly can't imagine anyone other than Burton, Depp, and Helena Bonham Carter doing that film.

I loved Sweeney Todd. That's probably my favorite film from this director.

As others stated before it seemed rather apparent that Burton was a little more "interested" in making this film, as opposed to just his "regular grind".

I thought it was really well done.

I loved Sweeney Todd. I think it was the best musical adaptation in a long time as well as being the best Tim Burton movie in a while.

The real problem is that Tim Burton obviously doesn't care about most of the movies he's making lately. Sweeney Todd came out much better because he actually had an intense interest in making it.

My two cents. I don't care who's in it, I care that he cares because when he doesn't, they stink.

Agreed with this.

Regarding the faithfulness to the original stage production, I would say that it is very different from the stage production but Burton definitely handled it well.

Generally, people who have seen the stage production first have been disappointed with the movie. Which I can definitely understand. Many people complained about the vocal performances and the different takes on the characters, so they thought that the movie was not very faithful to the stage production. However, I feel sometimes that it is unfair to compare the movie version of the musical with the stage version (even though most musical movie adaptations are much more similar to their stage counterparts). But this movie I think was taken in a different direction from the stage production, so in this case, comparing the movie to the stage version is almost unfair. I feel that this movie illustrates the differences between requirements for stage and requirements for film.

I agree with the general consensus here that it is a very good adaptation of a stage play. I like that he took out the whole ensemble, random breaking out into dance and song feeling that many musical adaptations tend to have (Hairspray, Grease, etc). He chose to focus more on Sweeney's story and events surrounding him directly, which worked very well on film. The actual nature of this musical is very different from many musicals in terms of overall mood and themes. And I think Burton handled it very well.

Yep. I'm not even a Dark Shadows fan and it annoys me how wrong Depp looks for the part he's playing.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back