Anybody else sick of this Superhero, overplayed cash cow?

Its the tv netflix stuff that doesn't help - how many series of this do we need!

The Netflix shows started out good, at least Daredevil did. But like so many shows out there, they had 5 episodes of plot and 13 episodes of show. That's a huge problem these days and it happens in more than superhero shows. When most of the season is filler, what's the point of watching at all?

I think superhero movies have been popular for too long with too much source material and interest to fade away for a long time. Years ago, both Spielberg and Cameron predicted that within the next few years, people would get tired of superhero movies. If anything, they’re more popular than ever!

Not in the slightest. I still read comics, so naturally I’m all in on the big screen. I don’t really follow DC, and I don’t follow any Marvel or DC shows on television, so two/three Marvel movies a year isn’t nearly enough to cause a fatigue.

On a side note, I do enjoy the little bump horror movies have gotten recently.

Last edited:
Yes and no. I definitely don't need to see another Batman or Spider-man film for a long time - I don't feel like those films are saying anything new for me. Avengers felt like a good time to tap out, not that I wasn't enjoying the Marvel films, more that it was becoming too much of an investment; having to wait years and watch so many movies to keep up with the narrative. It's the same reason I stopped reading the event comics that tied together 30 odd issues of comics a month, it was just too much. More power to anyone who does enjoy them though!

I'd happily watch Guardians of the Galaxy 3 though, and any material that features underused or lesser known material like Y: The Last Man.

Something I don’t really understand ..., if Marvel can successfully translate their comic book based characters/worlds into relatively well-fleshed out version’s for the big screen, then why’s it almost impossible for the same to be done with popular Manga one’s !?
Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still keep buying the well made anime stuff, but a faithfully adapted - quality live version ?..., they’re as rare as hens teeth !

"Superhero MOVIES" is a sub-genre of the action genre, with many, many, many possible genre mash ups.
And boy have we seen diversity in that genre! I dare say that Superman:The movie and The Burton Batman were what comes closes to "comic book movies". "The Shadow" comes to mind, the old Flash TV series. Those were so close to the source material. And nowadays we are seeing "enhanced" versions of those heroes, sometimes very remotely connected to the source material. Most times not bad. But I dare say that todays movies have more depth to them, character wise. Good cinema, most of the time. Good stories, just what Inquisitor Peregrinus pointed at. That is what is important. If the story is bad it does not matter what movie genre a flic belongs into. The same is applicable to the general execution of a movie.

People aren´t tired of rom coms, horror movies, thrillers, drama in general. There have been genres in movie history that have been more popular at times than others, but apart from very specific niché-y sub-genres I cannot come up with one genre that completely died out. Superhero movies have always been around, more or less. Every other year there was a superhero movie, and I think that if the technical hurdles hadn´t been as tall as they were in the past, we would have seen more of them, especially in the 1970ies/80ies.

I think it is more about developing a personal dislike, e.g. due to age or a shifts in general interests, that make people turn away from one genre or the other. Those may be the first to start some kind of a trend, and I wouldn´t dare to say that superhero movies are here to stay, but atm I do not see a fatigue among the general movie going audience.

I grew up in an age where it was almost impossible to make a superhero film because the state of the art SFX of the time were not up to it. 'Superman- the Movie' and 'Superman II' are almost painful to watch.
Today they can do pretty much anything they storyboard and showing incredible scenes which were once restricted to the comic book pages and your imagination are on the big screen and looking very good.

I do not care for all the films, some I like to watch over and over, others I have not watched all the way through (if at all).

A lot depends on the story and how it's executed. I am not a fan of the DC universe with the exception of Nolan's Batman (and Burton's version as well). Marvel has a good balance of action and character moments IMO.
I am not tired of these movies yet, but the only ones I have actually seen in the theater is 'Watchmen' and 'Endgame'- the others I just wait for the disc.

Last edited:
This genre I will never get tired of because I'm an idealist and purist at heart.Too sweet for one's teeth? Perhaps,but without ideals this world is lost and dead already.I believe one should retain the 'inner child' and perhaps that's what this is about for me and many others.Or just the classic clash between good and evil,or a good story without the need to explain anything.

What does bother me is when it's solely about the money;when writers 'smell a success',they will consider exploiting the genre and divide it (endlessly) into separate characters,sometimes even separate heroes from villains.To quote Steve Rogers in Captain America: Civil War when he gives the pen back to Tony Stark :"I'd hate to break up the set".Heroes and villains together make a superhero story.Why split them up? Makes no sense at all,because every hero needs a villain.They belong in the same story and originate from the same comic book.

Or when stories are altered to make them more interesting and 'sell' to the public,such as with Spider-man: Far from home.Spidey goes to Europe? He and Mysterio belong in New York and that's where the stories take place.Or in Spider-man 3 when Harry Osborn takes over his father's legacy as the Green Goblin and (according to the story writers in the featurette) "goes his own way" by dressing up in a snowboard suit with the board to match...No,he doesn't.He uses his father's costume and glider.Read the comics and please stop killing source material for the sake of being interesting.

So yeah,if and when only for the money then I will stick to comics and cartoons.And my personal thorn: when nothing resembles the comic anymore because it has to be a 'credible real-life interpretation' of the comic book concept.Some people tend to forget the superhero genre is fantasy at heart (eventhough often taking place in a real world) and that's what the genre is all about for me personally: to Marvel at all these characters,their abilities,the adventures and challenges they go through.If I want realism and horror,I'll watch the news instead.

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely sick of supers films and have been for years. I've enjoyed a few here and there, but mostly find them bloated and boring. Just not my thing. Also, I feel that since the focus of Hollywood is on these films there are solid small dramas, comedies, etc., not getting made because all the money is being put into these blockbusters.

I never tire of Superhero flicks. I'll always be there for the MCU stuff. DCU has a lot of work to do before I consider spending money to see one in the theaters again. Two of my absolute favs have gone down the tubes since the end of the Dark Knight series. I used to love Batman and Superman even above Marvel growing up.

I hear ya. Film-making, marketing and distribution in general has become so expensive that no one is willing to take a chance on any concept that hasn't already proven itself in some other film or prior media. You almost never see truly 'original' content anymore. We're inundated with 're-imaginings,' sequels, prequels and spin-offs. Too much of a good thing becomes a not-so-great thing. I get it: they're in business to make money and the superhero super-saturation is only pandering to the masses, after all, but I miss the really 'out-there' one-offs like Buckaroo Banzai.

I got tired of the movies a long time ago. Ive also lost hope of DC making any good film in the near future. Punisher and Luke Cage were different and I liked them but the 2nd Season of Luke Cage just wasnt great, loved the characters the story just seemed to drag on, and the Punisher...I waited for Season 2 hoping for so much and couldnt bring myself to even force myself through it.

Im exhausted from the overload and back to back to back movies.

As long as the quality is there I am game for whatever they put out :) I come from a time that the best you had was the Hulk on TV and Wonder Woman. That was it. Spiderman TV movie was a joke, Superman 1 and 2 were great but then down hill FAST! For me I am loving it! When they start making movies I don't like I will stop watching them but until then bring it on :)

Perhaps that's what those of us could consider doing when feeling saturated: instead of rejecting the entire genre altogether now because of excess offer,search and dig up what they still did/do appreciate.

I personally do not agree either with absolutely everything that is being released these days,but that doesn't mean to me that I don't appreciate the genre itself altogether anymore.That's kind of a black-white/all-or-nothing way of reasoning,which would be a shame to deny yourself what still is decent and pleasant to watch.

Try not to resort to bitterness just because some people in charge do not (always) know what they're doing.We have enough of those people in this world already.Always count your blessings,even if it's just one (movie).

I don't appreciate genres, I appreciate movies. Good movies are good movies. Bad movies are bad movies. We're getting an unfortunately high percentage of bad superhero movies and especially TV shows these days. Absolutely none of them hold my attention today like the original Iron Man did back in 2008. It isn't just that I've gotten burned out, I re-watched Iron Man a month or so ago and it still holds up. It still evokes the same feelings it did back then. The rest? Not so much, especially on TV, where the overwhelming majority just suck.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back